Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
2019 27' Globetrotter
2017 25' International
Chicago , Illinois
Lack of good SUV TV info making me crazy - SUV to BIG Truck

I currently tow my 25' International with a 2017 Porsche Cayenne with factory tow package. Let me say this, I love towing with my Porsche, I've done over 10K towing miles with it and it's super comfortable and the Airstream (with my BlueOx SP) tows like a champ.

Now here is the rub.... I think that a lot of people that tow with like-vehicles (7,700lbs GVWR SUVs and similar) have the same disillusion that I have had. YES, the TV can TOW (forward) really well (on flats) and is an amazing daily driver. The problem starts to come in the rolling hills and braking. Not that it can't do it, but I think you are crazy I you don't realize that it's working really hard. I had some anxiety of what would happen if I screwed up my trans or brakes in an area that doesn't have a VW or Porsche dealer.

So what to do... Do I continue to push my SUV or get a Big Truck (I'm looking at F250 or Silverado 2500).

Now, to be realistic, buying a big truck is mostly lost on me. It can't be a daily driver because I live in Chicago and it doesn't fit in the garage or really parking anywhere, so I have to keep the Porsche.

I've spent the better part of the month doing research on trucks and what I found there is that there is also a LOT of people who are disillusioned as to what their truck can pull. Since this truck would have to be a long-term investment, I want to ensure that if I want to move up to a 30' Classic that I am adequately sized.

Here is the questions:

* For the big truck owners: Do you find the big truck to be a PIA in backing your Airstream into camp spots? (My little SUV makes it super easy)

* Any former SUV TV owners have anything to add?

* Anyone buy a truck just to tow with?

* Are there any better resources for towing with SUVs? I would like to know if I'm alone in my worries about the transmission, brakes, radiator, etc.

Thoughts?
WBCCI #31337
StreamingEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:34 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
You could always rent a truck if you are heading to the mountains and keep towing east of the Mississippi with your great SUV. Likely a lot cheaper than buying a second dedicated (an unnecessary) truck just for towing.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:03 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
2019 27' Globetrotter
2017 25' International
Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
You could always rent a truck if you are heading to the mountains and keep towing east of the Mississippi with your great SUV.
Have you done this?

How does that work with the Weight Distro/Sway hitch (assuming you have to re-setup for each truck/each tow?

Also, how comfortable/equipt are the trucks (I normally do 8 hours a day towing).
WBCCI #31337
StreamingEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Georgia
Hi StreamingEagle!,

Responding to your question about SUVs. I tow our 2018 25' FC with a Ford Excursion 6.0 diesel and absolutely would have no problem pulling my camper anywhere we want to go. In fact, the camper we had prior to the AS was a box style Sierra 35' that weighed in loaded at about 11k lbs. I pulled this camper for almost 13 years with the same Excursion up to Wisconsin, down to the Florida Keys and all along the East Coast. You are spot on about what a TV can pull. There is a huge difference between what a vehicle can 'pull' and what it can 'haul'. If you get the weight distribution right, a Toyota Camry could pull an 11k pound trailer on a level road, but going up or downhill is another story. All the manufacturer's numbers out there are very subjective, to say the least. Do those numbers include hauling a payload up a steep grade such as Monteagle in Tennessee, or even more important, going down the Eastbound side of it heading into Chattanooga. What if the trailer brakes fail? . I am a big fan of 'margin' when it comes to my TV, and lots of it! I am not a big fan of white knuckles while driving my family to our new adventures. If you get a chance, take a look under a 1/2 ton truck and then a 3/4 ton truck, specifically the brakes and suspension (not to mention the frame). Big difference. 3/4's are built for hauling, towing, and longevity.

I admit, at first, I thought the Excursion (which is built on a F250 chassis) was going to be a bit of an overkill for the FC 25. On the drive home to Atlanta after picking the AS up in Tampa, I fell in love with the way it was going over overpasses and some of the steep inclines on I75. No downshifting and just purred like a kitten. Now, I think I am inclined to keep my setup as is. My Ex is pushing 240k miles, but not afraid to hop in it right now and drive to Maine at the drop of a hat.

Unfortunately, they stopped making the Excursion after 2005 They really got a bum rap as far as I'm concerned because the diesel version of the Ex gets really good mileage, especially compared to its brothers the gas v12 and v8. But, you can still find decent used ones out there though.

Oh, forgot to mention, my Excursion fits in my standard sized garage! Fits in most parking garages, although there have been some that I have not as well. In those cases, you just get a special spot somewhere else

Safe travels!
Greg

2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 25FBQ w/Solar | Hensley Arrow
Tow Vehicle - 2004 Ford Excursion Limited PSD 4x4
Haulin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:22 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamingEagle View Post
I currently tow my 25' International with a 2017 Porsche Cayenne with factory tow package. Let me say this, I love towing with my Porsche, I've done over 10K towing miles with it and it's super comfortable and the Airstream (with my BlueOx SP) tows like a champ.

Now here is the rub.... I think that a lot of people that tow with like-vehicles (7,700lbs GVWR SUVs and similar) have the same disillusion that I have had. YES, the TV can TOW (forward) really well (on flats) and is an amazing daily driver. The problem starts to come in the rolling hills and braking. Not that it can't do it, but I think you are crazy I you don't realize that it's working really hard. I had some anxiety of what would happen if I screwed up my trans or brakes in an area that doesn't have a VW or Porsche dealer.

So what to do... Do I continue to push my SUV or get a Big Truck (I'm looking at F250 or Silverado 2500).

Now, to be realistic, buying a big truck is mostly lost on me. It can't be a daily driver because I live in Chicago and it doesn't fit in the garage or really parking anywhere, so I have to keep the Porsche.

I've spent the better part of the month doing research on trucks and what I found there is that there is also a LOT of people who are disillusioned as to what their truck can pull. Since this truck would have to be a long-term investment, I want to ensure that if I want to move up to a 30' Classic that I am adequately sized.

Here is the questions:

* For the big truck owners: Do you find the big truck to be a PIA in backing your Airstream into camp spots? (My little SUV makes it super easy)

* Any former SUV TV owners have anything to add?

* Anyone buy a truck just to tow with?

* Are there any better resources for towing with SUVs? I would like to know if I'm alone in my worries about the transmission, brakes, radiator, etc.

Thoughts?

I purchased a Silverado 3500 HD just for towing. The backing up situation was no more difficult than with my 2010 Toyota Sequoia. The Silverado HD provides me with added security and peace of mind in the mountains.
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #6
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Have you done this?

How does that work with the Weight Distro/Sway hitch (assuming you have to re-setup for each truck/each tow?

Also, how comfortable/equipt are the trucks (I normally do 8 hours a day towing).
Other members on the forum have rented tow vehicles. The link to Enterprise in my post will answer many of your questions. Give them a call.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
[QUOTE=StreamingEagle;2088277]

Here is the questions:

1. For the big truck owners: Do you find the big truck to be a PIA in backing your Airstream into camp spots? (My little SUV makes it super easy)

2. Any former SUV TV owners have anything to add?

3. Anyone buy a truck just to tow with?

4. Are there any better resources for towing with SUVs? I would like to know if I'm alone in my worries about the transmission, brakes, radiator, etc.

Thoughts?

1st I have been a Porsche guy for 46 years. Can't beat them in my book. My Porsche's have all been air cooled, old school. Thought about buying a water pumper, thought is far as I have gone.

On to your questions.

1. No, yes it can take a little longer. Been doing for years, this helps, just comes naturally.
  2. Neutral, never used a SUV to tow. Not saying you can't, I just have not done.
  3. Yes. As a boy, I grew up in the country, we always had trucks. Later in life I lived in the city for work, I always had a truck. We (wife & I) have retired to country. Life is better again. On another note, today's trucks are pretty amazing w/mileage, comfort levels, and ease of driving. Not uncommon for us to take the truck over our car/SUV when going somewhere.
  4. Good question. I would reasonable think that your main/majority use of the vehicle would play into this question. Most likely daily use and not daily towing plays a big part in your choice? Vehicles that play this role are a good fit for most people. However if the main/majority use is towing, then yes this can take a toll on ones vehicle ware, should vehicle not be designed for main/majority use to be towing.
Best regards and safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:56 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Streamer
You can always minimize the cost of a part-time vehicle by buying used....got my 2011 3/4 ton Suburban 1.5 years ago with 87 thousand government lease miles (i.e., never towed anything, just light scratches on the hood from all their briefcases) for less than $23k. Although I have only a small AS unit, I'll never have to worry about moving up or driving through the mountains. Consider used and go with a truck. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Irvine , CA
I have rented from Enterprise Truck Rentals and they have both diesel and gas trucks to choose from. I rented a gas F250 to pull my Classic 33. Picked it up at the location, drove it back to AS, and hooked everything up. The catches are: Yes, you have to re-setup for each tow and you have to return the truck to the location you rented it from. It all depends on how often you need a TV (which I don't). My daily driver is a sedan and I don't have the expense or maintenance of a truck. And before the truck owners rain down on me, it's a PERSONAL decision based on one's personal situation which can change.

Quote:
Have you done this?

Octarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Suv anxiety...

Renting a higher rated tow vehicle is a more practical solution for those travel trips that will tax’s your nerves. Don’t be misled into thinking that you need to purchase and store a BIG Tonka toy. I’d contact Andy Thompson at CanAM RV to pose your questions on which way to go regarding towing. This gentleman often comes to the May AS event at the factory known as “Alumapaloza.” They did the hitch setup mating of my Panamerica and 2010 Toyota Tundra (short bed) — their demo unit was a 33’ International mated to a 20?? Taurus SHO. Yes, Taurus SHO. I drove it around London, ONT, CAN. In closing, you may find your daily driver may do all you want — safely! You need expert guidance on this topic rather than public (well intended) opinions. What’s great is that you’re not far, relatively, from his location. In fact, they have space on the property to dock overnight if you schedule ahead. Best regards!
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
LAS VEGAS , Nevada
I have towed the same trailer with SUV, 1/2 ton PU, and 3/4 ton PU.
All worked within manufacturers limits, for safe operation. BUT the 3/4 ton wins every time for confidence in all situations. I currently use a 2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD, crew cab diesel for towing. Having a 25 ft Safari means that I have notable overkill in my TV. I also find it a good dailey driver. Only a little difficult in small parking lots. Very comfortable ride.

Confidence and safety are what I like most. Great power to climb mountains (big ones in the west). Great braking going downhill. Both the standard huge brakes on large trucks and the exhaust braking of the diesel inspire lots of confidence. Also built in trailer brake controller on Chevy/GMC towing packages,

I don't find it any problem backing or parking the trailer with long wheel base truck. And it is a better handling setup for just cruising along the freeway.

The 3/4 ton truck also has more payload capacity than smaller vehicles. Important if you want to carry extra stuff. Like my motorcycle and generator.

And I still insist on a good WD hitch with sway control, even if the truck could haul a trailer without it. I use a Reese WD hitch with dual cam sway control system. Same hitch system with several different TVs and trailers over the last 40 years. Still does its job well. They have changed a little in design over time, but still function the same way.

Buy a heavy enough vehicle for the worst case towing that you expect to do. If it is not your choice for a dailey driver, have two. SAFETY FIRST.

Abe
Abraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:24 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
Mesa , Arizona
I tow a 2015 International 27FB with our 2013 Cayenne diesel without issue. We’ve been throughout the Rockies and Canada. Never had a breaking issue with the huge 350mm rotors.. Going over Tioga Pass near Yosemite, I just had to take it slow to keep the oil temp in range.

The difference in our experiences might simply be the torque rating. The diesel is rated at 406 ft lbs. The normally aspirated V6 is below that. Yesterday I got the Cayenne back after doing the approved diesel fix to correct the cheating issue. With the repair done, I can now submit my paperwork to receive an $8900 check from Porsche Audi.

Don’t give up on your Cayenne yet. Talk to Andy at Can Am RV in Ontario Canada. #nevertruck
citruscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #13

2008 28' Safari
Tallahassee , Florida
I have great performance from my Toyota Sequoia.
ourplanting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:29 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Temple , Texas
We tow our 1971 Sovereign 31' with a Ford Expedition with the 5.4L V-8 engine. No problems whatsoever.
TxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
In my experience you have a TV like a F250 or larger and then a "commuter " vehicle.
I have really tried to find a "do it all" TV/commuter and I haven't been able to realize that fantasy. (The closest was a GC but that was limited to really small and ultra light trailers)
Keep the Porsche and get a modern 3/4 for your adventures. Then go west with your new found freedom :-) :flag:
I am currently looking at Excursions and really good diesels are not cheap. Too bad they stopped making them ($5 gas in California 2008 didn't help).
Safe Travels
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #16
Toaster

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Langlois , Oregon
We tow our 2015 25 FC with a 1/2 ton 5.4 Chevy Suburban which is also our family car, so far 15K miles with no problems in mts and flats. The additional lockable rear storage the Suburban provides is perfect for the gen and fuel, large barbie, table, chairs etc. The pooch gets the second seat and everybody is happy. If you need a pick-up for other than towing then buy a pick-up, as many do, but if not there are multiple other SUV choices than will also provide a pleasant drive in Chicago.
tmacor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Jacksonville , Arkansas
You might consider the Chevy Suburban / GMC Yukon XL. Their longer wheelbase will provide better control in the downhill curves, and they're not quite as large in parking lots as today's truck platforms. The higher-end models come with the 6.2L engine, and either an 8 or 10 speed tranny. Excellent vehicles and I see them all the time on local ranches pulling horse trailers.
As to you concern of parking, I will agree. My GMC Sierra, 4-door crew cab gets mighty big in small lots and parking garages. I try to back into parking slots as much as possible, making the exit easier. The Suburban chassis is about 8-10 inches shorter, so it's a bit easier. The tow capacity in the 8000+ range; I'm not sure what the payload levels are. Everyone I know who has one, loves them.
On my recent trip I heard one person who had the Cadillac Escalade version is highly disappointed in the "reliability" issues, and now has the GMC - much better she said.
Happy Hunting....
Deeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:29 AM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
OP, anyone who advises you a pickup is great (worse, the one ton series) and relates the ease of climbing grades

is not on the same page as “best”.

Only the downgrade matters.

Airstream today is happy to sell you crap like electric recliners and electric awnings. We’re a long way from the days of Wally, because if torsion suspension wasn’t already present, they wouldn’t offer it today. Wally would have had antilock disc brakes on these trailers. He KNEW how to sell performance. He also KNEW that if you had to sell your family sedan to buy a truck, he’d lose his company in short order.

1). Your trailer needs disc brakes. That’s one (and true for anyone’s trailer; same as with LED exterior lighting).

2). Every faincy pickemup around here might wind up riding a hook. And stay in a dealership longer. So I don’t see the problem (of potentially farther transport).

Giving up best performance every mile with a pickup (and really lousy potential outcomes), for a repair “maybe” has things out of order. Fear of unlikely outweighing sensible fear of consequence.

Several disc brake conversion threads present. Take care of that and the other doesn’t much matter.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Prescott , Arizona
Lack of good SUV TV info making me crazy - SUV to BIG Truck

If you are towing within the limitations set forth by Porsche, and it sounds as if you are, you shouldn’t be concerned. Sure, you may need brake maintenance sooner. You should also be servicing it on the “high use” or whatever it’s called, maintenance schedule. If not more. Finally, your Cayenne may not last as long as others.
But.

If you like it, I say keep it. Take care of it. Save your $$$ for maintenance and another TV when this girl is worn out.

Remember, there are no limitations on the vehicles limitations! It doesn’t say 7700 lbs only in level ground. The engineers are pretty sharp folks. They set those limits based on safety and warranty.

Look at it this way. You tow much less than regular driving. Let her work hard when you need her to. If you buy a big truck, sure, it’ll be a cinch towing but what about all the rest of your driving????

That’s my .02 cents.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:10 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We tow our 2015 23D International Serenity (6,069 pounds loaded for camping and 962 pound tongue weight and Hensley Arrow hitch) with my 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI v6 turbo diesel that has 177,250 miles. This is my daily driver.

We tow our 2014 31' Classic (9,250 pounds camping loaded and 1,175 pound tongue weight with a ProPride hitch) with my 2012 Ram 12500HD Cummins. That vehicle is a dedicated towing vehicle and used for local driving when out on the road trip.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote