Old 08-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
1968 22' Safari
edmond , Oklahoma
kia borrego

Does anyone have any experience with a Kia Borrego V8 as a tow vehicle? I have been looking at new vehicles and Kia has a sweet deal on a new 2009 Borrego. It is an SUV with a tow package rated at 7600 pounds. It has the best overall gas mileage (18) of any SUV in its class. Its class would include Taho, Expedition, etc. It has a 100,000 mile warranty. Any info, even hearsay, would be appreciated.

Harleyyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I know only few things about Kia—it rates at or near the bottom of reliability ratings and it's Hyundai's cheap brand. But, Hyundai uses Toyota's methodology to make sure their vehicles are reliable and the company has become one of the most reliable manufacturers, so maybe they are doing the same for Kia. Check Consumer Reports and JD Power for their ratings on Kias.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
1968 22' Safari
edmond , Oklahoma
I know a few people who own or have owned Kias and they have had trouble free service from them. One friend owned a Sedona and drove it over 100K miles with no problems at all. He traded it in and now owns two Kia cars. But no one I know has owned or towed with a Borrego.

The V8 is the Hyundi Genesis engine and the transmission is made by ZF. ZF makes trannies for BMW and Mercedes.
Harleyyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I've put a few hundred miles on a Borrego V6. Very stiff ride. Lots of nice interior amenities, like a power adjusting steering column. I wouldn't say it's a competitor for a Tahoe or Expedition (it's not quite that big) - more for an Explorer or Trailblazer. Given the power of the excellent 3.8-liter V6, the V8 should more than do the trick.

mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote