Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
TBRich,
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I'm curious about you pulling the Bambi with your Tacoma. Maybe the original post is considering a midsize pick-up..
We will have the exact same set-up as you have, in a few weeks when we pick up the "new to us" Bambi (04).
We plan on heading to WY or CO in Sept. We always head back into the Forest Service campgrounds pretty far off the beaten path.
Have you gone 700 mile days pulling the Bambi w/ the Tacoma? Do you run in 4th (instead of 5th gear) How fast will you run on the interstate?
Did you get a transmission temp guage? Have you pulled it down 20 miles of washboard gravel roads? If so how was that.. We will be doing it.
I know, lot's of questions.. I'm a new guy to airstream.
Thanks,
Jeff
Hey Jeff... Welcome to the Forums, and congrats on your Bambi! You're going to love it! (A correction...our Bambi is an 06...don't know why I typed 2007...not that it matters much)... You should be fine with your Tacoma...assuming it's 2007 or newer...that's the year Toyota beefed them up and the new generation also Tundras hit the market. We have been very happy with it, and have done quite a bit of mountain travel. If you have the factory tow package you will have what you need in terms of transmission cooling, etc...we have not added any after market towing details (but do have a hard tenneau cover on the bed to keep us form hauling more than we need )... We have not towed 700 miles is a single day but it's not because of the Tacoma...it's because we need rest. If you have the stamina, so will your Tacoma. We run in 5th most of the time...shift down either automatically or manually on grades when we need to (up and down)... We travel max of 65 which I recommend...again, not because of the Tacoma, which will tow faster, but because that's the max for the Bambi's tires and it helps get the best gas mileage (12-13 mpg). I'd also recommend a tire pressure monitoring system...we have PressurePros and would not go without them. We don't do a lot of gravel/dirt roads by choice, but your Bambi can do it as long as you watch the clearance for the sewer valves and take it easy over the rough spots... Tie stuff down well inside and get some of those retainer bars for inside the cabinets and frig in case the doors come open....what out for sever bumps and holes... You need to minimize potential movement of objects inside your trailer...if you do a lot of wash-boarding, you might want to check screws occasionally all through the unit because they will work their way loose over time (even under good conditions). We usually camp in NF or state parks, too...in fact, we are in Pine Grove Campground in the Coconino national Forest about 16 miles SE of Flagstaff, AZ at the moment...great little campground... Check out out travel log (link below) for some of our adventures...

Good luck and enjoy your new toy!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:31 AM   #22
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Hey folks,
Thanks for the replies. Looking forward to next month's trip out west.. We only have a week, but are really looking forward to it. See how long the batteries hold up..
Thanks again,
Jeff
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
add-ons, bambi