Old 08-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
I would strongly recommend finding a TV equipped with a diesel. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of smaller models so equipped. I think the F-150 has that option.

Diesels will get you much better mileage, cheaper fuel, and plenty of torque to haul anything around. The new generations of diesels are quiet, smooth easy to start (I've started a Dodge Cummins cold at -25C).

They are, however, more expensive than gas, but they have a much stronger resale value at the end.

Cheers and good luck!
Just adding a little reality here....the F150 is not and has never been available with a Diesel engine. To get a Diesel in any brand of American truck, you have to go up to at least a 3/4 ton (about a $7K jump in price). There was talk about some smaller 1/2 ton Diesels last year, but that was before Government Motors took over.

Also, as I write this, Diesel is more expensive than gasoline, and forecasted to go even higher by the "experts".

Diesels do have much greater torque, and deliver slightly better fuel mileage.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:53 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Charleston , South Carolina
Thanks. If it has air conditioning and a working radio, it'll be a luxury vehicle compared to my 92 Toyota.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:00 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Charleston , South Carolina
Thanks on all of these suggestions. I've printed your messages and am compiling a list of things I want. Then it's a matter of deals. I'm not good at haggling. In the bazaar in Morocco, I couldn't buy an ashtray without my brain overloading. But with all of your input I can get my ducks in a row. I only have a couple of ducks, but they are big and loud.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
If you want to haggle, check out Consumer Reports New & Used Car Price Service for actual dealer cost and bargaining tips: New and Used Car Services -- New Car Sample Report

Or, if you don't, investigate Costco's Auto Buying Program (usually a couple of hundred dollars over "invoice"):
Costco - Auto Buying Program=

Both will save you money...

Note: I do not work for either organization, but have purchased vehicles using both of these services. If nothing else, Consumer Reports will help you determine which options are available and their individual costs; and Costco will get you a fair (if not quite the lowest) price.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:56 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We tow a 2007 19' Bambi (3500 lbs dry, 4500 lbs loaded) with a 2007 Tacoma Double Cab V6 TRD with a factory tow package (tow capacity 6500 lbs.)....07 Tacomas are not huge trucks (but larger than pre-07 models), and fine to tow a 16' of 19' Bambi. Older Bambis are lighter than newer ones, too. You need to study your tow numbers, etc to make sure you are looking for a trailer & vehicle combination that works well. There are several subforums and threads about towing that will help. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions. We've all had to start at the beginning at one point or another.
TBRich,
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I'm curious about you pulling the Bambi with your Tacoma. Maybe the original post is considering a midsize pick-up..
We will have the exact same set-up as you have, in a few weeks when we pick up the "new to us" Bambi (04).
We plan on heading to WY or CO in Sept. We always head back into the Forest Service campgrounds pretty far off the beaten path.
Have you gone 700 mile days pulling the Bambi w/ the Tacoma? Do you run in 4th (instead of 5th gear) How fast will you run on the interstate?
Did you get a transmission temp guage? Have you pulled it down 20 miles of washboard gravel roads? If so how was that.. We will be doing it.
I know, lot's of questions.. I'm a new guy to airstream.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 08-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
TBRich,
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I'm curious about you pulling the Bambi with your Tacoma. Maybe the original post is considering a midsize pick-up..
We will have the exact same set-up as you have, in a few weeks when we pick up the "new to us" Bambi (04).
We plan on heading to WY or CO in Sept. We always head back into the Forest Service campgrounds pretty far off the beaten path.
Have you gone 700 mile days pulling the Bambi w/ the Tacoma? Do you run in 4th (instead of 5th gear) How fast will you run on the interstate?
Did you get a transmission temp guage? Have you pulled it down 20 miles of washboard gravel roads? If so how was that.. We will be doing it.
Thanks,
Jeff
We routinely do all of above and more with our Ridgeline. We run 65mph on the interstate because that's the max stated by the trailor tire mfg. Your Tacoma should be able to do the same.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
TBRich,
Thanks,
Jeff
Hey Jeff... Welcome to the Forums, and congrats on your Bambi! You're going to love it! (A correction...our Bambi is an 06...don't know why I typed 2007...not that it matters much)... You should be fine with your Tacoma...assuming it's 2007 or newer...that's the year Toyota beefed them up and the new generation also Tundras hit the market. We have been very happy with it, and have done quite a bit of mountain travel. If you have the factory tow package you will have what you need in terms of transmission cooling, etc...we have not added any after market towing details (but do have a hard tenneau cover on the bed to keep us form hauling more than we need )... We have not towed 700 miles is a single day but it's not because of the Tacoma...it's because we need rest. If you have the stamina, so will your Tacoma. We run in 5th most of the time...shift down either automatically or manually on grades when we need to (up and down)... We travel max of 65 which I recommend...again, not because of the Tacoma, which will tow faster, but because that's the max for the Bambi's tires and it helps get the best gas mileage (12-13 mpg). I'd also recommend a tire pressure monitoring system...we have PressurePros and would not go without them. We don't do a lot of gravel/dirt roads by choice, but your Bambi can do it as long as you watch the clearance for the sewer valves and take it easy over the rough spots... Tie stuff down well inside and get some of those retainer bars for inside the cabinets and frig in case the doors come open....what out for sever bumps and holes... You need to minimize potential movement of objects inside your trailer...if you do a lot of wash-boarding, you might want to check screws occasionally all through the unit because they will work their way loose over time (even under good conditions). We usually camp in NF or state parks, too...in fact, we are in Pine Grove Campground in the Coconino national Forest about 16 miles SE of Flagstaff, AZ at the moment...great little campground... Check out out travel log (link below) for some of our adventures...

Good luck and enjoy your new toy!
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Hey folks,
Thanks for the replies. Looking forward to next month's trip out west.. We only have a week, but are really looking forward to it. See how long the batteries hold up..
Thanks again,
Jeff

Tags
add-ons, bambi