Old 01-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #15

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
I seem to recall that the Turbo Diesel Register (Dodge Magazine) did some testing a few years back and the results weren't too encouraging to say the least.
I don't have a link to it but it could probably be found if some one waned to search
Frustrating. Finding metadata about the article was pretty easy, but they seem to have intentionally broken their website as far as accessing old articles, and the only other method I found would be to order a back issue or reprint. Having a gas-fired Ford I'm not THAT interested. Here's what I found, it lists the issues that contain the articles with test results.
In the quest for big horsepower numbers and lower exhaust gas temperatures, the TDR audience was busy experimenting with all different kinds of air intake and exhaust systems. Concurrently with members tinkering around, the aftermarket companies in air intake, specifically aFe, had discovered diesels, too. "Funnel Ram," big honkin' air filters, "Ram Air," "Magnum," and the standard K&N or other brand drop-in filters were all being discussed by TDR members.

Joe Donnelly tested several kinds of air filter arrangements with horsepower results of 549 for the stock factory filter to 574 using an aFe kit. Joe was also busy testing camshafts, piston bowl shapes, turbochargers, head porting, exhaust manifolds, etc. "Take me back" and you would realize that Joe and Lawrence Bolton of Diesel Dynamics spent eight months and 18 cam changes designing camshafts for the 12-valve engine. Whew!

As a follow-up to Joe's performance testing, we've since learned more about air flow, super-duper filters and—here's the key—cold air intake. The series of articles done in Issues 56, page 150; and Isue 59, page 130, tell the complete story. Bottom line: the engine likes cold air.

Likewise, Joe and the audience have learned a lot about turbochargers, specifically compound turbocharging. Check out Joe's updates in Issue 70, pages 90-92 (12-valve engine); Issue 60, pages 94-99 (HPCR engine).

Il Carriaggio — 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #16
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
TDR did a big write up and I think many gave any oiled gauze/fabric combo a 2nd thought after reading it. I ran an AFE on my '05 until the article. Re Installed OE housing and paper filter etc. One unscientific observation, at each cleaning and re oiling I took a fresh towel and swabbed the air tube looking for ANY film or debris, never found any. If I would have found any film or dusting in the post filter tube, the system would have been scrapped on the spot. The Cummins moves a lot of air thru the intake. Proof, only that the air tube was clean to my simple inspection. I also had three engine oil analysis reports, no contamination issues.

Gary

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:10 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
sarasota , Florida
Well after more research on the web and replies from you guys, I think I'll put the idea of installing an after market air filter on hold for a while. Most of the buzz on other diesel boards was the same as here. It's a trade off ..... more air flow or less filtering of the incoming air but not both. And since the OEM equipment seems to work well enough I am going to leave it alone for now. Maybe I'll save up my money & buy some 20" spinners for my wheels instead. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:04 AM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I first used K&N thirty years ago on a gasser. I wouldn't on a turbodiesel. If a DONALDSON Tru-Core (IIRC) is part of an upgrade. then, maybe.

Fuel economy is always a laudable goal. When one pursues that he also commits to longer component life (tires, brakes, etc) as FE is really a measure of how well one is doing in keeping reliability high over the longest period. Seen in this way, FE is about keeping ownership and operating expense at a lower point, which is expressed as cents-per-mile when one converts it all to a spreadsheet.

Actual FE improvement is a matter of percentage improvement to annual average mpg and this is where Americans lose interest. The discipline to record all miles and all gallons. Spending money to "save" money takes longer than first appears as one must first absorb the cost (say, $500) of an "improvement" . . and, factored into annual average miles it may be tens of thousands of miles necessary.

Honest_to_God easy mpg improvers are, for a 1T truck, changing to closed-shoulder, highway rib tires (1-2/mpg, all miles), as well as making sure of perfect mechanical baseline (mainly alignment, zero brake drag and no steering slop).

But the real improvements are in driver skill and include trip plannning. One can underwrite 5k miles of vacation travel annually through this alone. "Free" fuel is a decent incentive (based on an annual fuel budget where fuel is a constant price, but miles travelled increases).

In other words, do a better job of driving (combine trips, no idling, never use brakes, etc) and hauling that Airstream around becomes free. If the TV is as reliable a few years longer keeping one from replacement, then that has been the true measure of economy.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:20 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I first used K&N thirty years ago on a gasser. I wouldn't on a turbodiesel. If a DONALDSON Tru-Core (IIRC) is part of an upgrade. then, maybe.

Fuel economy is always a laudable goal. When one pursues that he also commits to longer component life (tires, brakes, etc) as FE is really a measure of how well one is doing in keeping reliability high over the longest period. Seen in this way, FE is about keeping ownership and operating expense at a lower point, which is expressed as cents-per-mile when one converts it all to a spreadsheet.

Actual FE improvement is a matter of percentage improvement to annual average mpg and this is where Americans lose interest. The discipline to record all miles and all gallons. Spending money to "save" money takes longer than first appears as one must first absorb the cost (say, $500) of an "improvement" . . and, factored into annual average miles it may be tens of thousands of miles necessary.

Honest_to_God easy mpg improvers are, for a 1T truck, changing to closed-shoulder, highway rib tires (1-2/mpg, all miles), as well as making sure of perfect mechanical baseline (mainly alignment, zero brake drag and no steering slop).

But the real improvements are in driver skill and include trip plannning. One can underwrite 5k miles of vacation travel annually through this alone. "Free" fuel is a decent incentive (based on an annual fuel budget where fuel is a constant price, but miles travelled increases).

In other words, do a better job of driving (combine trips, no idling, never use brakes, etc) and hauling that Airstream around becomes free. If the TV is as reliable a few years longer keeping one from replacement, then that has been the true measure of economy.

???
Old 01-29-2014, 11:19 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Wrightsville Beach , North Carolina
k&n filters

Hi, I have a 1996 Chevy Suburban as my tv. My truck currently has 252,000 plus on her and I started with the filter alone with 171,000. I kept the original air box with the thought of going all CAI, and I eventually did. I like the sound. I also changed from stock exhaust to Magnaflow exhaust. I love the filter, I have had no problems with MAF sensors or any other issues. With a full CAI (FIPK) I find that the truck exhaust is much noisier while pulling my Overlander. I am not real thrilled with the exhaust volume in the truck while pulling. I think that on my next trip I am going to reinstall the original air box and K&N filter and see what kind of volume I get out of her then.
I have no experience with deseils so I am no help there, Just thought I would give you a heads up on the noise, which I attribute mostly to the Magnaflow exhaust.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:02 PM   #21
GAT
Owner Spirit of "76"

1976 31' Sovereign
Ball Ground , Georgia
My son gave me one for my birthday in November for a 2011 Duramax. I have not towed with it yet and only have put around 2500 miles but the computer per mile calculator has not shown even one tenth MPG different. At first I hated it as it roared. I thought the filter.housing was setting harmonic noise but when I took it back apart I found the filter had come loose. On my other gas burner I did mess up the sensor and had fits until someone told me what to fix. Not a big supporter but.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
GAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I've used K&N filters on Jeeps, pickups, hot rods and classic cars for 20 plus years with no adverse effects. There are several K&N part numbers for retro-fitting oil bath air cleaners. Some of the CAI packages are worthless, some work real well. I've had excellent results with K&N CAI packages on a Ford V10 and three different Jeeps. Best CAI that I've used was a EELCO unit that picked up air below the front bumper in a pair of 4" ducts and scoops. Currently use a pair of K&N filters on Stromberg 97's made in England. Again, no issues in spite of the fact that this is a fenderless car with no hood side panels.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by panheaddale View Post
???
From the original post:

" . . I was thinking of looking into getting a K&N air filter for the truck. Not just the air filter, but the complete cold air induction kit for the diesel. Why? Well, I would like to justify it by getting a real increase in MPG"

MPG, fuel efficiency, is more a means than an end. Be willing to learn to drive better, to use the vehicle more effectively, and one will see a lower fuel burn as a result (would be the point of my post above). But to do so one needs place mpg in context, first.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
I put one on the TV, got 1 more mpg, then took it off, because it made too much noise.
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
In order to cut down the noise, the stock intake is less than an optimum shape. Turn up the radio and all you'll notice is better performance and mileage if you use the aftermarket CAI!