Old 04-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Well, that's easy, I recommend the 'Diesel' . Always bring enough truck.

I also like the Equal-I-zer hitch. Easy to use, reliable.
and I would get the diesel truck, .

I don't look for the closest parking space at stores, so diesel truck size is a non-issue.
I saw someone mentioned oil changes, being more expensive at a shop\dealer, that is probably true.
I don't know how easy the Duramax is with oil changes, but it shouldn't be anymore complicated than the Cummins in a Dodge. I use three gallons Shell Rotella 'synthetic' oil and either a K&N or Fleetguard oil filter and should be less than $55. If you use Chevron Delo non-synthetic, its less than $45, easy. Fuel filter is easy to change.
Like 20-25 minutes to change it. The first few times you change it, the time is longer, getting use to the intricacies of the truck. I get distracted, grease a ball joint, clean the oil pan, grease the carden joint on the drive shaft. Its good to look everything over, yeah I get distracted : )
Change it yourself and save that cash. The county waste authority sells the oil for recycling, so its free to drop off.
Oil change is a 'wash' on cost. Its fun to do it yourself, and you know it is done right. Those are advantages.
Bonus round - 'No Spark plugs in a Diesel '
Have a good one !

Old 04-25-2016, 08:21 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskypicker View Post
Hi everyone,

After years of reading this forum and thinking about it, we went out today and bought our first Airstream. A 19' International Serenity. A real dream come true for me. My wife is really excited too.

Unit Base Weight: 3823#
Gross Vehicle Weight: 4500#
Hitch Weight: 550#

After a lot of very kind people spent their time answering my questions about how to purchase a reasonably-sized tow vehicle that could maybe fit into our garage, we have decided to get a truck instead. We spent today looking at trucks as well, and ended up really liking the following 2:

1. Chevy 2500 Duramax Crew Cab Standard Box (probably over-kill on anything we'd ever get...definitely overkill on this trailer). Super quiet diesel, great power, and really quiet cabin. Downsides...real expensive and Chevy's financing offers suck.

and

2. Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Short Bed 3.5L EcoBoost. Super Quiet Cabin and really liked the EcoBoost. I know a lot of people on the forum like these as well.

When we were talking to the Airstream dealer, we started talking about sway control and weight distribution hitches. He said the only thing he recommended was to install an Equalizer Sway Control Hitch. He said the disliked Hensley hitches so much that they won't even touch a trailer that comes in with a Hensley, and they make the owner completely unhitch the trailer themselves before the dealer will even touch it.

So, will you please help me with our truck and which options we will need? We live in Colorado and will be doing a lot of mountain driving.

Also, do we need anything other than the Equalizer anti-sway hitch, or will this be sufficient? Safety is my #1 priority.

Thank you all for any help and advice.
Chris
I drive a Tundra, but of the choices you mentioned I would choose the Duramax. Supposedly the F150 is the most common tow vehicle for Airstream trailers and the Tundra is the number 2 tow vehicle for Airstreams. I don't know who gathered this information or how.
I don't know why your dealer reacts so vehemently to Hensley hitches. I have an Equal-i-zer, but acknowledge the merits of the Hensley/ProPride hitches. If I had money/could afford a ProPride I would own one. If the dealer was that opposed to the better hitch design, I might consider a different dealer. Why doesn't the dealer get a Hensley/ProPride stinger? I assume the objection may be to moving the trailer around on his lot?
Payload is your friend. Naturally the 2500HD Duramax/Allison will have payload to spare in any trim level, even High Country/Denali. The F150 XLT will have more payload than the Lariat, King Ranch, Platinum, or Limited. The trim/bells and whistles add weight, so the less options/accessories you have, the more payload you have.
Given the fact you live in Colorado and will drive in mountainous terrain I would go for the Duramax- power out the wazoo...
The Equal-i-zer is a good hitch. It does a job/serves a purpose. A Hensley or ProPride is better. A sway control hitch does just that- controls sway after it happens. Hensley/ProPride prevent sway before it ever begins. That to me is huge and worth the investment if you can afford it. React or pro-act? In the long run pro-act is better.
Get you that new shiny silver trailer and a powerful truck to pull it and go campin'!

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:24 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I'm sure the EcoBoost F150 would haul the little 19' in the mountains of Colorado just fine.
There is a smaller Hensley called the Hensley Cub for the smaller trailers with less tongue weight.
The Equal-i-zer does work fine and is easy to couple/uncouple.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-25-2016, 08:48 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
#2 all the way on that one... UNLESS you plan on using your truck for other heavy stuff.

As a 2500 owner, I can tell you that when the truck is empty, it will BEAT YOU YOU UP as if you'd walked down the wrong, dark alley. Man it's a rough ride....

With a load in the back, it's smooth as can can.

At the same time, I also own a 2015 F150 Lariet. and I love everything about it accept I feel the gas and brake pedal are too far to the left and wears on my ankle.

So an example.
Recently I had a need for 3 yards of topsoil. The store would load a whole yard in my 2500, but only half a yard in the ford - and the ford looked like it was going to scrap the ground with that half a yard in the back lol
Old 04-25-2016, 09:30 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
Diesel, of course

If you can swing it, you should definitely get the diesel - More power, better mileage, longer life. Yes, it may cost a bit more now, but with regular service, it will outlast just about any gas engine.

Also, have you considered looking at an SUV for a towing option? I bought my Mercedes 'Certified Pre-Owned' (CPO) which (1) reduced the initial cash outlay and more importantly, (2) provided me with an extended UNLIMITED MILEAGE warranty - think about this as you travel the land. When you actually compare out-the-door costs, you may be surprised as to how affordable a Mercedes actually is when compared to a new Ford or Chevy - just saying'.

Also, you do owe it to yourself to actually drive one because towing is only part of ownership; 85% of the time this is my daily driver and that's when you truly appreciate MB's comfort and ride.

Finally, for the 19', look at and consider the Husky system, overbuilt for our needs, but if you want a smooth, safe drive, this may be an option to consider.
FYI: 2015 milage: 42K throughout America with no issues or drama.

As with all things, your mileage may vary.
Held together with the Husky Centerline Hitch
LongShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:40 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The manual for our 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins suggested 45 psi in the rear tires when running empty. That made a huge difference in ride comfort from the normal 70 psi when loaded. Of course the Kelderman level ride airbag suspension really softened the ride without tire pressure changes.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:28 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
F150 with the tow package will tow your trailer easily and be a much nicer DD than the Duramax.

Towed a 19 and now a 25 with the same Reese Dual Cam. Works great.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:35 AM   #50
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

........" He said the disliked Hensley hitches so much that they won't even touch a trailer that comes in with a Hensley, and they make the owner completely unhitch the trailer themselves before the dealer will even touch it."

Consider another dealer.......one that is smarter than the average pivot point projection hitch.

Any 1500 'truck' will tow your 19' AS.

....after towing a 22' Safari for 18 Seasons, I feel competent in commenting on how important good sway control is on the smaller single axle AS's...they sway.
We used a Reese Round Bar,(800lb)WD, with dual friction sway, TV's... '85 Jeep GW and a '95 2500 Burb.

Sweet Streams

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:48 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Beautiful , Colorado
Thanks for all the help, everyone. Really appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

We did end up getting a ProPride, which is probably overkill, but seems like a safe choice. As for looking to another dealer...this is the only one within the neighboring states, so there really aren't too many to choose from.

Thanks again; try much appreciated.
Chris
Old 06-12-2016, 07:04 PM   #52
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob49 View Post
I also live in Colorado. On the western slope in the town of Rico.8800 feet is our elevation.The F150 with EcoBoost does a very nice job pulling our 23 foot up the passes.
Do you find that you get pushed down the passes with a lighter truck like a 150 over a 2/350? I just got a full rig for full time travel and drove down Eisenhower and Vail pass and with engine brake on a diesel I didn't touch the brake once.

I grew up on a ranch and had old (70's) gad 250/2500 trucks and never liked towing like I do now - but I may have more truck then I need.

www.tinsheets.com
www.tinsheetstothewind.com
TinSheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:30 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Hard to imagine the justification for using a 3/4 diesel to pull a little trailer. Test drive them, but if you're like I am you will find the 3/4 tons, big, ponderous and rough riding as daily drivers in comparison to a half ton. The only reason to buy a 3/4 ton to pull a small trailer is if you need the range afforded by the larger fuel tank fitted to most 3/4 tons. If memory serves, the standard fuel tank on a new F150 is 20 gallons, although a larger one is an option (at the cost of reduced payload). Personally, I would not want less than the 26 gallons in my Sierra 1500, which seems to get 1-2 more mpg than folks report from the Ecoboost.
As for the hitch, I use a ProPride for my FC27. Your dealer doesn't like them because they don't work on the standard ball that he uses on his vehicles to move trailers around. Whether you need to spend that kind of money on a smaller trailer, I'm not sure.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:35 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The new Tundras have an optional 36 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 06-16-2016, 10:30 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
What is a 'CAT' scale???
Just a little further on this...

they are called "Cat" scales because the scales are made by Cat (a company). I always thought they were an offshoot of Caterpillar, but that could just be totally wrong.

When you see this sign (follow link) at a truck stop, you know they have a big scale.

https://catscale.com/
https://catscale.com/about/
Old 06-17-2016, 09:24 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
"CAT" scales are certified for accuracy. The truck driver has a copy to show the DOT folks if stopped and questioned about his weight. The scale folks would pay a fine if the police scales say he was overloaded and their scales showed he was not over loaded.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote