Old 04-28-2015, 06:03 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Amen to the Tundra. I'm with you my Tundra + Airstream brothah from anothah mothah!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Sandy , Oregon
Yes, you'll get all kinds of responses. I had a 2008 F250 diesel 6.4 and it worked well. I traded it in for a 2014 F350 crew cap with the 6.7, holy crap, what a big difference. The new truck was great and you hardly know the trailer is behind you... pulls like a dream and I went from 9 mpg to 16. I put an Anderson hitch on it and it works great.
Carlos

Old 04-29-2015, 06:13 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Ignore everyone on here and go get what you want. Either a 1/2 ton gas or 3/4 ton diesel will do it, but the 3/4 ton will allow you to haul more people and stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-29-2015, 06:36 PM   #46
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
For a 31' I would go with a 3/4.
For 27' and below I would buy a 1/2 ton.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:39 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Vicksburg , Mississippi
First, they must've had the seat adjusted badly, inasmuch as I am 6'6" and fit in the Ram as well as the Ford - in fact the Ram had more overall room.

We towed our 1st year with a 2001 Dodge 2500HD 4x4 with the Cummins TD and 5 speed stick, with 8' bed and standard cab. Towed like a dream, rode like a lumber truck - it was purchased to be a farm truck with extra leaves in the springs, plow-prep springs in the front, etc. So, since the purpose of our truck had changed from farm work to hauling a '14 AS Classic 27FB (9000 # GVW) we decided to upgrade to what will most likely be my "final" truck - considering I had the 01 Dodge for 15 years and over 110,000 care free miles and it seemed hardly broken in.

After narrowing our search to the Fords and Rams, We went with a '15 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 with 8' bed, Cummins TD and 6 spd stick (the final deciding factor, as it is the last p/u combo in the USA that you can get with a standard tranny). 169" wheelbase, but better turning radius than the F250. There was only a $150 difference between the 2500 and the 3500, and I prefer the Hotchkiss leaf springs in the rear to the coil springs on the 2500, so we went with the one tonner. Since this will be the "retirement on the road truck", we got the Laramie; all the bells and whistles, including heated and cooled leather seats. Also got the crew cab so we've got some room to spread out and for friends and family members. The "smart" engine brake is amazing! The difference in the ride between my old 2500 and the new 3500 is night and day - the new one rides like a dream! Over 8,000 lbs sitting with a full tank of diesel, which is my usual loaded weight of the AS, so a good weight match.

I wanted the space and load capacity of the 8' bed, but also wanted convenience and security. After a long search I found what a wanted from a company called Highway Products - I got one of their "pickup packs" and a bed slider. Love 'em both (sorry, no pics of the pickup pack yet). You can see them at Pickup Packs by Highway Products Inc. Still a few bells and whistles to buy before I get her fully pimped out as the ultimate TV!

For extended travel with a big trailer, I would definitely recommend at least a 3/4 ton diesel - or for $150 more, a 1T. You really can't go too far wrong with any of the big three and their oil-burners. Enjoy your new ride, whatever it may be!

A couple of shots of the old & new:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4039.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	509.0 KB
ID:	237448   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4049.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	237449  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4064.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	546.0 KB
ID:	237450   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4074.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	237451  

Old 04-29-2015, 11:58 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Full-time traveling , Hmmmm. what day of the week is it?
My wife and I have now gone to several more Ram dealers and there appears to be a large difference in some models.

We took a measuring tape and placed it in the center of the drivers seat, making sure it was in the lowest possible position. Checking various models and years, we found a range of distances from the seat to the roof from 34" to 39.5 inches. Obviously a sun roof takes up at least 1 inch if not a bit more, so we limited our comparisons to power seats and no sun roof.

We were amazed at the differences. We discovered at 38" my tall wife can fit in a Ram 2500 with about 4 inches of headroom, so we are now looking at buying a slightly used Ram 2500 Diesel 6.7L.

A few questions:

1) Is it important to buy it with the convertible towing side mirrors that rotate or is after market mirror extenders acceptable? I would hate to pass up a great used truck if all it was missing was these tow mirrors.

2) Since I am not an 'off roader' and do not plan to take my AS into rugged pot holed dirt roads too often, can't I settle on a 4x2 instead of a 4x4 and get better gas mileage?

3) It appears the Ram 2500 SLT has the ability to have all the bells and whistles anyone would want except leather seats. Any reason to spend the extra cash on the fancier packages if leather seats are not that important?
Old 04-30-2015, 12:36 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I thought all of them had those mirrors, but-
If you buy one without those mirrors, you can purchase the mirrors for at least half off at discountautomirrors.com.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-01-2015, 07:30 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBeaubeaux View Post
My wife and I have now gone to several more Ram dealers and there appears to be a large difference in some models.

We took a measuring tape and placed it in the center of the drivers seat, making sure it was in the lowest possible position. Checking various models and years, we found a range of distances from the seat to the roof from 34" to 39.5 inches. Obviously a sun roof takes up at least 1 inch if not a bit more, so we limited our comparisons to power seats and no sun roof.

We were amazed at the differences. We discovered at 38" my tall wife can fit in a Ram 2500 with about 4 inches of headroom, so we are now looking at buying a slightly used Ram 2500 Diesel 6.7L.

A few questions:

1) Is it important to buy it with the convertible towing side mirrors that rotate or is after market mirror extenders acceptable? I would hate to pass up a great used truck if all it was missing was these tow mirrors.

2) Since I am not an 'off roader' and do not plan to take my AS into rugged pot holed dirt roads too often, can't I settle on a 4x2 instead of a 4x4 and get better gas mileage?

3) It appears the Ram 2500 SLT has the ability to have all the bells and whistles anyone would want except leather seats. Any reason to spend the extra cash on the fancier packages if leather seats are not that important?
Jim,
A lot of guys on here will tell you that 4 x 4 is the only way to go. I've only owned 1 and that was when I was still working, and truly needed it as on the worksites that was the only way to get around the site.

Other than that, my experience has been for most "off road warriors", is that they usually get about 200 feet further in the mud than they should have gone. This drastically increases the size of the tow bill.

There are aftermarket mirrors that will work just fine. On my 2003, I ordered the truck with the tow package, which included the Dodge towing mirrows. They work fine, but, I would like to have them extend about 4 to 6 inches further than they do.

My trim level is the Laramie, at the time, there was a special deal available on it. I've been very satisfied with it.

Good luck on your search, the truck you are looking for is out there somewhere...

Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:56 AM   #51
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBeaubeaux View Post

A few questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
Jim,
A lot of guys on here will tell you that 4 x 4 is the only way to go. I've only owned 1 and that was when I was still working, and truly needed it as on the worksites that was the only way to get around the site.

Other than that, my experience has been for most "off road warriors", is that they usually get about 200 feet further in the mud than they should have gone. This drastically increases the size of the tow bill.
Geez Larry, I'll try not to sound marginalized by the "off road warriors" comment.

I want to add my mantra here, 4x4 vs 4x2 is determined by how you will use/enjoy your truck. Everyone's opinion is subjective on the matter if you really consider the usual reasons why. There are some technicalities, but it's like, do I need a sunroof? No, not technically. Do you enjoy it? Well... that's subjective.

I don't advocate for or against, just that you should think about how you would use one or the other.

To the OP

1.) I have those mirrors, I'd recommend you try to buy with them. They are worth it, in ever conceivable way.

2.) Sounds like you'll do fine with 4x2 - see above, make your own determination.

3.) Only you can answer that. Do you want a sunroof? Do you want leather? For us, we love leather and we like our sunroof, so we bought a Laramie. Others are happier with cloth and bench seat, I prefer bucket with heated/cooled seats. That's just me. Buy what makes you guys happy, and what you can comfortably live with. We are full time, so our truck see's a lot of seat time, so we have a lot of options.

Don't buy a Ferrari if all you want to do is get from point A to point B, but do buy the Ferrari if you want to enjoy the car for what it is. Hopefully that perspective makes sense.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:23 AM   #52
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
If the right deal had presented itself when I was looking for a 3/4-ton pickup, I would have bought a 4x4 for sure. It's like 100% of the specialized tools I have: when you need it, you need it, otherwise it doesn't get used. My "must-have" list was: Ford, minimum 3/4-ton, with a diesel engine. "Could-have" list was 1-ton, and 4x4. "Couldn't-have" list was dually (couldn't fit in my garage) or crew cab (same reason).
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
If you intend to stay on paved roads only and don't go into parks with dirt and gravel areas, you would probably be ok with 4x2, but it will take just one experience, where you are spinning wheels with no traction, with a 4x2, to convince you that 4x4 is worth it's weight in gold. I don't do much dry camping, but the few times where I get onto dirt or gravel areas have shown me that 4x4 can easily become the best feature you have on your truck. I would not buy a truck without it.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:20 AM   #54
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Clarita , California
The "Pickup Packs" are a great idea: exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, Adiredneck.

On the 4x4 front, you may also want to consider how much you will be driving in snow. Other than off-road, that is where I have found the 4WD to be really useful.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:00 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I did a lot of research in January 2013 to find a 2012 spec'd the way I wanted it. And the one we found had even more extras than were on my list of must haves.

I wanted the camera in the tailgate which makes aligning the stinger for both the Hensley and ProPride much easier. I wanted the flip and heated tow mirrors with electric adjustment. I wanted the high output Cummins with Automatic and the 3.73 rear end that gave me a GCVW of 20,000 pounds that works with our 31' Classic. We have the short bed, crew cab with 4x4 and it came with Michelin tires.

Do some serious research using the online dealer inventory system and save yourself time and money from running all over the place.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:35 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
I had these on my Ram back in the day. Dodge Ram 2500 2003-2009 Towing Mirrors Power Heated | A122F273221 - TopGearAutosport
Now I'm a GMC Sierra Denali man and I have the factory installed power extending tow mirrors.
As far as 4x2 vs 4x4 you may not think you have any uses for them now but once you have the ability you'll start coming up with them lol. Also 4x4s have a higher rate of resale value on average. And if say it rains and you get stuck in the mud with 4 wheel drive youll save yourself a call to AAA. And unless you've also invested in a Satphone like I did (I recommend most Imersat products) you might be in a dead zone and won't be able to call them at all!

In the end yes it comes down to personal taste and budget. But from what I've seen the price difference between 4x2 vs 4x4 is negligible in the long run.

There's my 2 cents (ok maybe a dime)

Happy Trails and welcome to the AS family