Old 06-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #29

1969 21' Globetrotter
1965 22' Safari
1969 23' Safari
Walla Walla , Washington
I looked very seriously at the 4 door Wrangler Unlimited to use as a tow vehicle for our GlobeTrotter which weighs about 3,300 pounds dry. We towed with a '91 Range Rover for several years, slightly over sized tires, 100' wheel base, 185hp 3.9L engine rated at 7,700 pounds towing capacity. With a Reese anti-sway hitch and properly set up brake controller it worked OK but was not great. It was 50 mph up some hills and I felt like I had to pay close attention all the time.

If you look at the Jeep site for England at jeep.co.uk and pull up the specifications for a 4 door Wrangler you will notice the the towing specs the with the diesel engine are 3,500 kg instead of 3,500 pounds. So Jeep specs the Wrangler Unlimited diesel at 7,700 pounds towing capacity. This is similar to specs Jeep uses for their Grand Cherokee vehicles depending on engine, gearing etc. This leads me to think that towing specs are based not on safety as much as durability and acceleration / climbing ability.

We eventually purchased a Grand Cherokee Limited with a Hemi and it is now a delight to tow our GlobeTrotter, as it feels more solid with the longer wheel base and we love the extra power.

If you like your Wrangler Unlimited I think you would find your Jeep to do a fair job of towing a small Airstream if you don't mind slowing down on hills, paying extra attention all the time and possibly some earlier repairs down the road from the strain on the drive train.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #30
Marshalls Corner Shop

1970 23' Safari
Clarkston , Michigan
I was an engineer for Chrysler for 12 years. Tow ratings are based on a variety of things such as braking, frame strength, horsepower, trans cooling ability, spring strength, wheelbase, etc.. Typically they tested with some margin for error in the worst possible conditions such as Colorado mountains and Baker Grade heat. You'll be more comfortable towing with a full size truck, but your Unlimited will be fine as long as it has a factory tow package which includes trans cooler and larger radiator. I tow a 23 foot 1970 Safari with a Hemi Grand Cherokee and i love the maneuverability, but short wheelbase veh's can be dicey when your turning and hit a large bump, etc.. Good Luck.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:41 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Currently Looking...
Fresno , California
Since I had no idea how much my Tear Drop weighed... I decided to go and get it weighed. Gross weight of 2500lbs. I have towed this for the past 2 years and don't even know it is behind me. The trailer doesn't have brakes, I don't have a fancy hitch and I don't have sway bars or weight distribution.

With that said... Wouldn't an Airstream that has a Gross weight of 2900lbs which is 400 pounds more then the teardrop... with all the above mentioned amenities... ie brakes, Reece Hitch or other, sway bars and weight distribution tow better then my current Teardrop?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09914.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	495.8 KB
ID:	104201  
Old 06-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejaydave View Post
With that said... Wouldn't an Airstream that has a Gross weight of 2900lbs which is 400 pounds more then the teardrop... with all the above mentioned amenities... ie brakes, Reece Hitch or other, sway bars and weight distribution tow better then my current Teardrop?
I would say without a doubt.

I have heard about folks towing a 4,000lb square box type trailer and have gone to a much longer 6,000lb Airstream and claim it towed much better than the square trailer.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #33

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallaWallaGT View Post
If you like your Wrangler Unlimited I think you would find your Jeep to do a fair job of towing a small Airstream if you don't mind slowing down on hills, paying extra attention all the time and possibly some earlier repairs down the road from the strain on the drive train.
I think that is good advice for all tow vehicles, no matter what you are driving.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Currently Looking...
Fresno , California

I might add that I have a lifetime warranty on the drive train.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejaydave View Post
I had a similar situation. I went from towing a 1900 lb T@B teardrop (I carry less adult beverages than Denis4x4, I guess ) to towing my approximately 3100 lb loaded Argosy Minuet. Adding the weight distribution and the anti-sway, plus the electric brakes, resulted in a much better driving package. Much better steering feel and response, and more secure braking.

I think you'll encounter a little more drag with the Airstream than with your particular teardrop, but that will affect acceleration and fuel economy more than handling. (My fuel economy while towing remained even between the taller-than-your-teardrop T@B and the Argosy.)

The Sport 16' is a nice trailer - if they were offering that when we were shopping for the T@B, it's very likely we would have gone for broke (ha!) and bought one.

Tom
Old 06-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Not in a Jeep, at least for me

I am a Jeep Wrangler person through and through. We have had 3 of them and been off-roading from VA, KY, NC, UT, others... I sold our lifted off-roader so we could get a TV for our A/S last summer.

They are great vehicles but I don't think I would consider towing an A/S at 2500# dry weight with one, even with the 4 door version. With the 4.0 liter engine without towing any weight, the ratios are not really good for interstate speeds with grades. Going over the appalachian mountains with our manual was like shifting central, down up down up to get over them. We barely made it over the Rockies and that was just with 2 adults and 2 suitcases. Now, after towing the skiis with a larger truck, I feel so much safer when they are in tow, let alone a camper.

We used to tow our jet skiis (double trailer) which in total weighs a little over 2000# (~ 300# tongue weight) with our 4.0 liter 2 door wrangler. We should have had a weight distribution hitch for that since the rear sat so far down. This was funny... One summer, we decided to take the skiis for a week tent camping on a lake about 4 hours away. We loaded the Jeep down with all of the stuff we needed to take. Hooked the skiis on the hitch and let the jack down. I stopped when the wheels were about to hit the wheel wells . We ended up having to tow the skiis with one Jeep and load the other down with supplies and go in convoy .

I know the newer 4 door's are basically cherokee frames now and that will help some but a 2500# trailer, as others have said, will be 3500# after packing. Put your boat on the roof (guessing 300#?) and 2 adults and your vehicle will weight equal or less than what it is carrying. I wouldn't want to risk it myself, even with the proper setup of hitch, cooling system, etc. Not to mention the wear on the Jeep. It would be too much to worry about for me.

I wish you the best if you go that route and please let us know how it works out. I would love to have the top down, getting a tan on my neck from the reflection myself!
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:27 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
If you want your cake and eat it too check with Airslide, a Forum participant. He tows a 30' slide out with a Ford 350 desiel crewcab and, one of a couple that I know, off Jeeps in the bed of his truck.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:19 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
The reason a jeep tows good is because it has a short overhang (axle to ball). My 2door tahoe has a shorter overhang than a 4door version and it tows my 30ft just fine with a reese twin cam with 800# bars.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
The reason a jeep tows good is because it has a short overhang (axle to ball). My 2door tahoe has a shorter overhang than a 4door version and it tows my 30ft just fine with a reese twin cam with 800# bars.
The short wheel base of Jeep is the problem....maybe not in Nebraska but way certainly in the Western mountains. A U-Haul trailer rental refused my request for a 16' trailer to tow with my CJ7.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 06-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
The short wheel base of Jeep is the problem....maybe not in Nebraska but way certainly in the Western mountains. A U-Haul trailer rental refused my request for a 16' trailer to tow with my CJ7.
Neil
I had the same issue with Uhaul. They said it was due to it being a convertible that they couldn't rent a trailer to me.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
I have a '10 Wrangler Unlimited with the factory tow package. Pulled my t@b over Wolf Creek and LaVeta pass without any problems. The t@b is about 2600# with a good supply of adult beverages. Friend tows a 19' CDI with a Touareg and likes to off road. Last year, he cut a tire on Cinnamon pass and it took us two days to find the correct replacement tire and somebody with the right kind of equipment to change it!
Discount Tire in Grand Junction should have been able to hook him up with something unless he was looking for an OEM match. This demonstrates why he needs a full size spare when offroad. I NEVER hit the trailer without one. Please tell you friend to contact me about our Colorado Touareg 4x4 Rally that we hold annually in Ouray; we'd love to have him!
Old 06-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowmans View Post
I had the same issue with Uhaul. They said it was due to it being a convertible that they couldn't rent a trailer to me.
I old them it has a cage roll bar. So I went home and put the top on my Buick convertible ....came back....got the trailer. Go figger. The trailer was for a cross town haul, all surface streets.
Neil.

FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid