Old 06-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Our TV is the Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel). Not a super common vehicle, only sold in North America for 2005 and 2006, but, a fantastic tow vehicle. Rated for 5,500 lbs, with a weight distributing hitch and sway control, had no issues towing our 24 foot Tradewind through the mountains, even with the short wheelbase. Might be a vehicle to look into if you are interested in staying with a Jeep.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I think you'd be fine... see (not that I totally recommend this) what Andrew T. friends tow with a Wrangler.. hard to see in the pic, but it's a 25ft'r. I think page 3 has the mods he did to it.
Marc
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...eam-55607.html

Old 06-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The 4 Door wrangler has 120 inch wheelbase from what I found on their website. I've been considering one as a future tow vehicle for our Caravel, which would be more in line with it's towing capacity. I would think that with a good hitch and sway control, you would be ok. Just don't lift it, you want a low center of gravity for stability. And look for a vintage AS if you want to save a little weight over the 16 Sport. A vintage Bambi or Caravel would cost you less and weigh less. We love our Caravel!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
The big plus with the Jeeps is their very short rear overhang. This gives you a very positive (desirable) wheelbase to overhang ratio comparable to many popular pickups and SUVs.

Modern vehicles are well built and with the proper attention to detail will give you years of reliable use as a TV. Our late model (7 year old) car drives like new with over 200 hours of towing and has yet to have an issue from being used as a tow vehicle*.

*Well actually it did suffer from a minor spring sag issue. A pair of $35. energy spring spacer isolators solved the problem.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I have a '10 Wrangler Unlimited with the factory tow package. Pulled my t@b over Wolf Creek and LaVeta pass without any problems. The t@b is about 2600# with a good supply of adult beverages. Friend tows a 19' CDI with a Touareg and likes to off road. Last year, he cut a tire on Cinnamon pass and it took us two days to find the correct replacement tire and somebody with the right kind of equipment to change it!
Old 06-06-2010, 08:06 AM   #20

1994 21' Sovereign
Hollywood , Florida
I also have a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited with tow package. Just purchased a 94 Sovereign 21ft. Have been doing a lot of reading about towing. I am not going to buy a new tow vehicle. I will get a good anti-sway weight distributing hitch which will increase my TW and total capacity to 4k. Even then im over the recommended weight. But, the chassis will be fine and im not going far with it. The same jeep in europe is rated to tow 5k. remember back in the day regular cars used to tow these things all over the country loaded down like crazy. I think I can make it. By the way I will take off one propane tank to save weight and of course tow with the trailer completely empty.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewhite08 View Post
I also have a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited with tow package. By the way I will take off one propane tank to save weight and of course tow with the trailer completely empty.
There are many quality ideas out there for optimizing the combination.

In our case we are limited by TV payload so we load up the trailer with our supplies. The 23' has a large payload capacity and our TV handles the weight well.

Each combination has it's own merits so many aspects to consider.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
If you have your heart set on an Airstream and still want the off road capabilities, look at trading in the Jeep for a Touareg with air suspension. Rated to tow 7700lbs and can raise to 12" clearance. Plus locking center & rear diff.

Then you can get a 19' or 23' for your growing family. Kaching!
The "T-Rex" tows great, is very comfortable, super gas mileage, and can really tear it up off road!
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Wrangler Unlimited towing info from Jeep site:
Jeep - 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Capability - Towing

I'm surprised that no one has questioned the capability of the engine in this model. It uses Chrysler's 3.8 V-6 which was previously only used in their mini-vans and the Chrysler Pacifica. Those models also had a 3500 pound tow rating "when properly equipped."

The 3.8 is a great engine. But that engine in these bodies, including the 4-door Wrangler, in my opinion, is maxed out at 3500 pounds, maybe even a lighter weights depending on terrain and expectations.

Roger
Old 06-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I have an '09 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited with the 4.10 axle and it tows my trailer all the time with no problems.

Ummm, that's my drift boat and trailer, which weigh about 500#.

As long as your Jeep can get the trailer moving, and the Jeep's front wheels are still on the ground, you can tow anything you want. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I stay at an RV park in MT all summer and see and hear stories of people towing things and their experiences practically every day. Like the guy who hitched a raft trailer behind his Airstream, and totalled his truck, Airstream, raft and trailer when he couldn't control the sway. Or the woman who had a generator mounted on the rear of her Airstream and couldn't understand why rivets were popping out on the sides of her trailer, and cabinets were falling off the inside walls.

Many of the guys on the Jeep forums are so macho that they're sure their Jeeps can tow mountains, when in fact their Jeeps are better suited to simply drive over them. And, I suspect that the majority of Airstream dealers either have no clue as to tow vehicle capabilities, or if they do would tell you anything to make a sale.

There are a couple other Jeep's specs that you should keep in mind, in addition to it's reported 3,500# max. trailer tow limit. The tongue load limit is 350# and the payload limit (including occupants, cargo, fuel and the trailer's tongue weight) is 1,000#. Plus, almost everyone that I know agree's that that little 3.8L V6 engine is barely adequate moving the Jeep by itself, much less with a trailer in tow.

In any event, I think you should be okay towing that 3,500# trailer. But you better leave the family, and that boat in your picture, at home. And, please stay in California with that rig - becasue it seems that only in California virtually everything is required to come equipped with a warning label "this product may be hazardous to your health".

John
Old 06-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBolton View Post

I'm surprised that no one has questioned the capability of the engine in this model. It uses Chrysler's 3.8 V-6 which was previously only used in their mini-vans and the Chrysler Pacifica. Those models also had a 3500 pound tow rating "when properly equipped."

The 3.8 is a great engine. But that engine in these bodies, including the 4-door Wrangler, in my opinion, is maxed out at 3500 pounds, maybe even a lighter weights depending on terrain and expectations.Roger
??? Our little Nissan 3.0 had no trouble towing our 4,500 Airstream for many years. Do you really think the stouter, larger, more powerful Jeep engine is less capable?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	93 Quest.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	104168  
Old 06-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Call Andrew Thomson at CanAm...he has set up vehicles for towing for 40 years and does not believe you need a DuraMax diesel for all towing. He also is writing a series of towing articles in Airstream magazine.

Andrew work hard on modifications as necessary AND proper set up of the tow vehicle and the trailer. He could give you some great input. Tom R
Old 06-06-2010, 01:53 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
??? Our little Nissan 3.0 had no trouble towing our 4,500 Airstream for many years. Do you really think the stouter, larger, more powerful Jeep engine is less capable?
Sounds like a trick question.

My opinion is that the Chrysler 3.8 is a more capable engine than the Nissan 3.0. My opinion is that neither engine is ideal for towing 4500 pound trailers.

Again, I thnk it depends on terrain and expectations as to how un-ideal these small powerplants are perceived.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
I have a '10 Wrangler Unlimited with the factory tow package. Pulled my t@b over Wolf Creek and LaVeta pass without any problems. The t@b is about 2600# with a good supply of adult beverages. Friend tows a 19' CDI with a Touareg and likes to off road. Last year, he cut a tire on Cinnamon pass and it took us two days to find the correct replacement tire and somebody with the right kind of equipment to change it!
A good friend ran a Mitsubishi 4x4 until it broke down in the back county near Gunnison, CO. He was able to get it towed to Gunnison and then had to wait for over 3 weeks for parts to arrive. He said the replacement vehicle must meet the Gunnison factor. Ford, Chevy, Jeep will all pass the Gunnison factor. Parts are in stock.

'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is online now   Reply With Quote