Old 03-11-2015, 11:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited as Tow Vehicle?

Hey all,

I have a 1969, 23 foot Safari that is currently under renovation to become a mobile boutique. It has been completely gutted down to shell on frame. It is being built back up to basically be walls/floor/AC unit and lighting with a small partition for a bed area. Everything else inside will be some pipe and flange fixtures and maybe a couch on the other side. (no kitchen/bathroom/pipes)

My question:
Can the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3.6 engine with max tow package (3500 lbs) pull this thing?

Old 03-11-2015, 11:35 AM   #2

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
You will get a range of answers from that's the perfect combination to I wouldn't drive that rig around the block...
Personally, I don't think that is enough TV for a 23'

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 03-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I would guess your weight is going to be in line with the towing capacity, but you will want a good no-sway hitch to ensure you don't get surprised by the short wheelbase on the Jeep. I know the wheelbase on the Unlimited is much better than the regular Jeep.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Also it depends how much you like your jeep. The frontal area of airstreams exceed the limits set by jeep for the wranglers
Old 03-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
So what would be my biggest concern/limitation of this combo? Sway? Engine power? I'm new to anything over a V4 engine so I appreciate everyone's comments and tips.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited as Tow Vehicle?

I think you will be just fine with your Jeep since they are very tough vehicles that other owners may also confirm. You have lots of power with the v6. You might add a Tru Cool Auto Trans Cooler if you are going to spend much time in the mountains. Also ensure that you use a weight distribution hitch. The set up will attract lots of attention. Check out the Jeep forums towing section to see what other Jeep enthusiasts are doing. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-11-2015, 06:31 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bartlett , Illinois
If you have a 2012 or newer, you should have plenty of power. The older Unlimited's were under powered.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Yes,,,, and no. The Wrangler, IMHO, is rather light for such a job. The frame was not built to take a lot of side torque. The wheelbase is rather short for a good TV for a trailer that large. The suspension is rather light for that much hitch weight.

Will it do it? Well, yeah, kinda. If you are going on short trips, flat roads, yes you could get by.

It could get really dicey, really fast. An experieced trailer tower could handle it. However, the fact that you ask the question leads me to believe that you are not an experienced trailer tower. That is the part where I'm inclined to tell you not to do it.

You will be much happier and safer with a bigger TV. (Just my opinion)
Old 03-11-2015, 10:59 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Speaking from experience, you do NOT want a Jeep with a Pentastar engine from 2012 or any recent year but the most recent models. There is a widespread problem with this engine regarding head failures due to the increased heat this engine suffers from in the Wrangler.

"Normal" operating temps are in the 230 degree range, and there is no exhaust manifold; the head is an all-in-one design and the valves fail. These Pentastar engines run EXTREMELY hot in an unloaded Jeep merely driving down the road; the transmissions run extremely hot and an external cooler is utilized from the factory just to control the tranny in normal operation. The extra heat from the engine is of course transferred from the hot engine to the transmission which is bolted right to it. These Jeeps are known to overheat on their own just from driving in the sand...towing a trailer up a mountain will surely lead to a severely hot engine and transmission.

This engine fails in other Chrysler products as well, but not to as high of an extent as they aren't run at such a high temperature in those vehicles (which just prolongs the failure, I'm sure after the warranty is up). Chrysler has been replacing thousands of heads (usually the left side) for years now. You do NOT want that headache. They MAY have it sorted out now, but people are STILL reporting problems with new Jeep Pentastar engine failures.

Chrysler has done a great job of keeping this pretty hush-hush. But, check out this 200 page thread with literally THOUSANDS of posts of people with this same problem:

Update on ticking Pentastar..new head... - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Consider this fair warning, but good luck...
Old 03-12-2015, 12:00 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Hey guys thanks for all your responses. You are correct, I am not experienced tow-er. The jeep is 2015. Max tow package added on. I will not be in mountains or weird terrains, it will be on flat street surfaces/flea markets.

But safety is my number one concern. I'll have to wait to see how much the airstream comes out to weigh after she's been redone into the shop.

I'll keep yall updated

Old 03-12-2015, 10:20 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmrcnDrifter View Post
Hey guys thanks for all your responses. You are correct, I am not experienced tow-er. The jeep is 2015. Max tow package added on. I will not be in mountains or weird terrains, it will be on flat street surfaces/flea markets.

But safety is my number one concern. I'll have to wait to see how much the airstream comes out to weigh after she's been redone into the shop.

I'll keep yall updated

I would advise you, again, to read this thread before you tow with a new Jeep:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/up...ad-137608.html
Old 03-12-2015, 11:55 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
I wouldn't touch a Jeep as a TV for a 23'. No guts!
Old 03-12-2015, 01:55 PM   #13
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
It will work just fine going low and slow. It may (will) have a heart attack in the hills though......
Old 03-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Not my Wrangler

We have a stock 2013 Unlimited Rubicon and pull an 8 foot utility trailer filled with camping gear and two kayaks. Instability in the wind, constant downshifting, and awful gas mileage are my observations. We pull from Tucson to Show Low AZ and from Tucson via Las Vegas to the east side of the Sierras in the Yosemite area. I prefer using my 2011 Tacoma Double Cab longbed by far, but the wife wants the Jeep for backroads. The Jeep is just a little too squirrely towing, although going slow helps tremendously.

BTW - I also have towed our 34' Classic with an F250 in the same locations and like the stability of a bigger TV.