Old 03-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Farmington Hills , Michigan
I pulled a CJ5 with my wranger. Disaster...5 of the worst hours I ever spent behind a wheel. My FC19 has as loaded weight or 4500 lbs and it is all I would ever want to tow behind my Honda Pilot which has a 4500 lb capacity. As mentioned the narrow Jeep with the short wheelbase is a tough combination. You can never really go too big in a TV.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobutton View Post
I pulled a CJ5 with my wranger. Disaster...5 of the worst hours I ever spent behind a wheel. My FC19 has as loaded weight or 4500 lbs and it is all I would ever want to tow behind my Honda Pilot which has a 4500 lb capacity. As mentioned the narrow Jeep with the short wheelbase is a tough combination. You can never really go too big in a TV.
I agree with the big tow vehicle mentality but, that's not really my "lifestyle". I usually live in metropolitan areas and the airstream is not for camping/mountains/sand/snow. It's for street and flea markets.

I need a TV that acts as an everyday car that can also move the "shop" from location to home and I will still enjoy the car when it's not hooked up. I realize the Wrangler is far from the best choice but, if what Andrew says is true that other Jeepers have been successfully doing this for years (on a much grander scale than what I am attempting), it's a goal I would like to accomplish.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:17 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
"I need a TV that acts as an everyday car that can also move the "shop" from location to home and I will still enjoy the car when it's not hooked up."

That is why I went from a F-150 Super Crewcab to a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 Hemi.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:55 PM   #32
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
"I need a TV that acts as an everyday car that can also move the "shop" from location to home and I will still enjoy the car when it's not hooked up."

That is why I went from a F-150 Super Crewcab to a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 Hemi.

I echo AWCHIEF except mine is one of those Jeep VM Motori Diesels. Absolutely awesome, better than my previous Mercedes based Jeep, which is still running beautifully with 360,000K on it. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-14-2015, 02:13 AM   #33
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The current JK is a decently long wheelbase SUV. Fairly wide compared to the original Jeep. And weighs much as a similar wheelbase 1970 Plymouth Fury with big block engine.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:48 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post

How about an everyday car ?
Old 03-14-2015, 08:23 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
How about an everyday car ?
The GC is an excellent every day ride in my opinion. Easy to park and handle in crazy traffic, comfortable seating, 20 to 25 MPG around town.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:04 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
The Pentastar equipped Jeep and transmission will NOT survive pulling that kind of weight.

This engine/tranny is already taxed to the limit temperature-wise with a TWO door Jeep unloaded going up hills.

With a 2012 Wrangler 2 door in Ouray engine temperatures driving around town were nearly 240 degrees. And this is NORMAL operation...

The transmission temperature was equally as alarming...you must keep this vehicle out of 4H at low speeds or the transmission WILL overheat.

Pulling any sort of travel trailer with a Jeep with this combo is absolutely ridiculous, given the evidence I've linked to in this thread.

But, if someone still chooses to do something so proven to be disasterous in the long run when warned beforehand, they kinda get what's coming to them.

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:25 AM   #37
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Its a shame that they build vehicles today as they do. Jeep has always been associated with bulletproof toughness. Today, it seems as if they are building for light weight and fuel efficiency and at the expense of durability.
We are so preoccupied with having the latest and greatest, it's no big deal to shell out tens of thousand dollars to have one. The real Jeep went away a long long time ago.
I can see Wally pedaling away as he passes one......
Old 03-16-2015, 05:58 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Sierra Vista , Arizona
I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JKU) Sport (4 door) with the 3.6L Pentastar. It is equipped with the Max Tow Package (includes 3.73 gears). I have only towed two things with it so far: a popup camper at 1300 pounds, and a 12' steel trailer loaded with a John Deer 755 tractor (not sure about the weight here, but way more that 1300 pounds).

I have a 16' Airstream Sport on order and intend on towing it with my JKU.

I'll describe what facts I know for sure, and what my best judgement is from a lot of experience with several different Jeep models.

----------------------
What I know for sure:
----------------------
-2012 and newer Jeep JKUs all have the 3.6L Pentastar. The 2012s had widespread issues with the heads. This issue was fixed and addressed before the 2013s started rolling out.
-I have had NO issues towing the two trailers I described above. A lot of my towing has been done in very steep mountain environments.
-My JKU has been perflectly reliable. So has my friend's. So has the three others that my coworkers drive. In fact, I haven't met anybody who has had serious issues.
-The 3.6L Pentastar produces 285 HP. It is on the more powerful end of V6s in production.
-All current production JKUs come standard with a transmission cooler
-My JKU is currently parked right next to a coworker's Toyota Tacoma (what many posters here and other forums immediately point to a a better tow vehicle). My Jeep has 285 HP, weighs 4100 pounds, has a 116" wheel base, and is 73.7" wide. The Taco has 236 HP, weighs 4220, has 127" wheel base, and is 74.6" wide. My Jeep has a lot more power and the difference in wheelbase dimensions is negligible.

----------------------------------
What my best judgement tells me:
----------------------------------
-Most posters here and at other forums that immediately balk at the idea of towing with a JKU base their opinion on towing or seeing somebody tow with something other than the current production JKU.
-I personally would not tow anything that exceeds the limit, even though I think the JKU tow limit of 3500 pounds is probably a bit off base. I think this because the same models sold in Europe are rated at higher levels. Perhaps you should have your trailer weighed on scales to see where you fall. It sounds like you could get a way with fudging the limit a bit from the way you describe your intended use.
-I would not tow with any Wrangler that has been lifted, leveled, or has had its suspension modified in any way other than the way it came designed by the engineers.

I will report my experiences towing my 16' Airstream Sport with my JKU here. I will report in extreme detail because of the lack of good information that is currently available on the topic.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1911man View Post
I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JKU) Sport (4 door) with the 3.6L Pentastar. I have only towed two things with it so far: a popup camper at 1300 pounds, and a 12' steel trailer loaded with a John Deer 755 tractor.
I also speak of experience towing with a Pentastar equipped Jeep. It could barely satisfactorily handle a tiny 13ft Scamp without running SEVERELY hot.

Trying to compare towing a short 1300lb popup camper (or an exposed utility frame trailer with a lawnmower tractor on it) with towing a full size travel trailer is absolutely pointless and respectfully ridiculous for the purpose of this argument, regardless of the weight involved.

I'm not sure if you've ever towed a real travel trailer before, but as most with experience know, it is the WIND that will kill you, NOT the weight. The wind is a HUGE factor once speeds approach about 50mph and will absolutely act like a giant parachute even with very high powered tow vehicles. The maximum frontal area of a trailer for any Jeep Wrangler is 36 square feet...and that is the BEST it can do. Most Jeeps are rated for 25 to 32 square feet for ONE reason...WIND RESISTANCE.

Towing a 4000lb popup is going to be NOTHING like towing a normal sized 4000lb travel trailer, no matter how someone tries to spin it. But, ill-advised comparisons such as these are common with those who haven't actually experienced such comparisons in real use.

Quote:
-2012 and newer Jeep JKUs all have the 3.6L Pentastar. The 2012s had widespread issues with the heads. This issue was fixed and addressed before the 2013s started rolling out.
This is absolutely NOT the case, which was proven in the thread I quoted twice in this thread. All one must do is read it...while Jeep IS replacing thousands of heads under warranty, the idea that "this issue was fixed and addressed before the 2013s starting rolling out" is grossly misguided and factually absolutely WRONG. Issues have been documented well beyond the 2013 model year.

Update on ticking Pentastar..new head... - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Again, anyone contemplating towing with a Pentastar equipped Jeep would be wise to read thoroughly the above thread and to not go by what your "buddy says about his Jeep."

Quote:
-I have had NO issues towing the two trailers I described above. A lot of my towing has been done in very steep mountain environments.
Again, an absolutely pointless comparison. Towing a 1300lb popup or lawnmower trailer in the mountains means absolutely nothing for the sake of this discussion and actually bringing up such a comparison is detrimental to someone looking for honest competent advice towing a real travel trailer with a Pentastar equipped Jeep.

Quote:
-My JKU has been perflectly reliable. So has my friend's. So has the three others that my coworkers drive. In fact, I haven't met anybody who has had serious issues.
You should add more "friends" that drive Jeeps. That makes your misinformed post more believable.

Quote:
-All current production JKUs come standard with a transmission cooler
Yes, they sure do. And do you know why? It's because they NEED them or they WILL overheat ON THEIR OWN without towing ANYTHING. At first, the transmission coolers were NOT standard, and Jeep transmissions were overheating constantly. Rather than address the underlying cause, Jeep's response was to offer a patch fix and install tranny coolers on all Jeeps. This transmission cooler was NOT provided so that you could "do more with your Jeep." It was installed to reduce warranty costs. It wasn't installed so that you could pull a full-size trailer up a mountain without burning up the transmission. It was installed on ALL Jeeps to address the excessive hot temperatures discussed at length in the thread linked above (that some apparently try to pretend doesn't exist).

Quote:
-My JKU is currently parked right next to a coworker's Toyota Tacoma
I thought they all had Jeeps?

Quote:
-I personally would not tow anything that exceeds the limit, even though I think the JKU tow limit of 3500 pounds is probably a bit off base. I think this because the same models sold in Europe are rated at higher levels. Perhaps you should have your trailer weighed on scales to see where you fall. It sounds like you could get a way with fudging the limit a bit from the way you describe your intended use.
The Jeep Wrangler is the LAST vehicle you want to be "fudging the limit a bit" with.

Again, it's not just the weight...IT IS THE WIND RESISTANCE. The MAXIMUM frontal area recommended by Jeep is 36 square feet; all Jeep Wranglers vary from 25 square feet to 36 square feet MAX trailer frontal area. That's it.

There are SEVERAL things that go into this calculation, and it's not just power. You can have an 800hp Jeep but if its cooling is maxed out (as in the current Pentastar Jeep) then that power does you NO GOOD if the engine and tranny overheat and fail under hard use; i.e., pulling a large frontal area travel trailer up a mountain in 95 degree heat.

2012 JK tow ratings with the 3.6L - Jeep Wrangler Forum

The information is out there. A trailer with a frontal area of 36 square feet is mighty small.

Quote:
I will report in extreme detail because of the lack of good information that is currently available on the topic.
The only "lack of good information that is currently available on the topic" is from the post I am responding to right now. There is a PLETHORA of accurate information regarding towing with a Pentastar Jeep on the Jeep forums I have previously linked to. That, and from people like me...who HAVE actually towed with a Pentastar equipped Jeep. I towed my other trailer which is a 13ft Scamp Deluxe (about 2400lbs) and while it handled fine, it felt like I was towing a TRAIN and that trailer is TINY; downshifting on mountain climbs well under the speed limit and nearly 250 degree coolant temperatures while getting transmission warnings on the dash is NOT my idea of a "good towing experience." It wasn't the weight, and it sure didn't have that much frontal area wind resistance...but it was enough to tax the Jeep to death! Sure, it towed it...fan roaring like a banshee, constantly wondering "are we gonna boil over, are we gonna make that hill" just like Lucy and Desi...

You can listen to those of us who have experience. Or, you can listen to others who have towed nothing but popups with theirs but their "friends' Jeeps are better than those there Toyotas so there ain't gonna be no problem towing that big ole trailer up that big ole hill"...THAT'S my definition of a "lack of good information."

My 6 cents.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:41 PM   #40
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I wish I had known all this stuff before buying my 1989, 1993, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2008, and currently, two 2014 Jeeps for a gross k of 2,500,000. I would have been worried silly and not have done it. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-17-2015, 07:16 PM   #41

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Again, refer to post #2 :-)
That is all...

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 03-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
I wish I had known all this stuff before buying my 1989, 1993, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2008, and currently, two 2014 Jeeps for a gross k of 2,500,000. I would have been worried silly and not have done it. Jim
...which has absolutely nothing to do with towing using a Pentastar equipped Jeep Wrangler.