Old 02-14-2005, 08:53 PM   #1

Jeep tow vehicle

My wife and I are considering a travel trailer and the Bambi 19 looks like one we are interested in. We're also condidering a fix-er-upper, since we're both skilled in this type of work. However, the issue of a tow vehicle has us completely baffled. I understand that our Santa Fe wont cut it. But we dont want a behemoth Suburban, Excursion, F150, etc. Can we use a Jeep Grand Cherokee?
In the days before SUV's and Hummers, what did people pull trailers with? I remember that it was the family car. So why the need for bigger, bigger, bigger tow vehicles? Are the trailers heavier? Would it make more sense for us to look for an older trailer and renovate it?
Newbie needs help!
Thanks, John

Old 02-14-2005, 09:15 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think that if you had the V8 and tow packages, it should be fine... I think the wheelbase if I recall is kind of short, and that is a bit of a concern. We towed with similar and it did fairly well. Anything larger though, I'd say your getting into 1/2 and then 3/4 ton.

I recall reading here that the identical Dodge ran cooler than the GC, and I think Apple1 posted that..think he worked for Chrysler. If you have the V6, looking at the Jeep site, doesn't look like it's a good idea, and even the 16' might be pushing it. Keep in mind I'm thinking you are talking about a newer 19' Bambi. Keep in mind the newer Airstreams do weigh more than some of the vintage stuff out there.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

I used to use a Jeep Cherokee Country for a tow vehicle. The wheelbase was kind of short for my 20 footer. Every now and then it was like the proverbial tail wagging the dog.
Without getting into a long discussion about torque and horsepower, suffice it to say that if you look at the towing capacities of full size cars, like the Intrepid, you are looking at a maximum of around 3,000 lbs. Couple this with the fact that cars are uni-body, (which means they have no frame), you cannot even get a class 3 hitch for them. The body of a uni-body platform IS the frame. No frame to bolt anything to.
I traded my Cherokee in for a Durango and that towed BEAUTIFULLY. The only thing I could not pass with it was a gas station!
The Grand Cherokee uses the same power train as the Durango and it gets equally impressive mileage, (impressively low). When you are towing you do not usually worry about mileage as it will kind of suck anyway. I assume you will be driving this tow vehicle more often without the trailer hooked to it though.
I swapped the Durango for a GMC Safari with the 4.3L V-6 and a trailer towing package. I went with the Safari because it was the ONLY frame-on construction of a mini-van, (I don't count the Ford Aerostar as it is no longer built. The Safari isn't built any longer either). With the Safari I towed a 24 foot Argosy from Detroit to Shreveport. Then from Shreveport to Paducah. From Paducah we towed it all the way back home. I took some serious grades with it and had no problem. The trailer weighed right around 4,000-4,500lbs fully loaded. I think the slowest I got on ANY grade was 45 MPH. It hardly farted the rest of the time. I also noticed that I only knew the trailer was back there because it was big enough to notice. It handled just fine when I dodged an armadillo in Arkansas!
I then sold the 24 foot Argosy to my cousin and bought a 20 foot Minuet from a gentleman in southeast Minnesota. I drove over there, hooked onto itm slapped on the weight-distribution hitch, bars and sway bar and headed home. I was travelling alone and when I got about halfway I was getting exhausted. I had to keep looking in the mirrors to see if it was there! It towed like it wasn't even behind me!
If you ask me, a used Safari or Astro will run you about 1/3 the price of a new SUV and the mileage is decent in the city. It also has a low center of gravity and makes it pretty good for towing based upon that fact. When I take exit and entrance ramps towing I do not feel that "roll" that is usually associated with higher, narrower vehicales like the Cherokee.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:38 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
We tow a 2002 25ft Safari with our 99 Grand Cherokee 4.7L V-8 with trailer package. It was quite unstable with the factory Pmetric load range B tires. Changed to load range D Light Truck tires and the vehicle was transformed. Run about 45# when towing. I get between 10 & 11 mpg towing at 60-65. About 18-19 in town.

A 19 ft Bambi should be well within the 6500# tow rating.

Towed a 99 Bambi 19ft with a 95 Cherokee 4L 6 with added trans cooler. It was borderline, but made it thru the mountains near Mt Rushmore by turning off the A/C.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:03 PM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Astro

Until two days ago, we used a 19 year old Chavy Astro, 4.3L . It pulled our 20' Argosy just fine, as long as we didn't get in a hurry (the van was kind of tired). The van got 18-20 mpg on the road not pulling the Argosy, and 12 pulling the Argosy. Around town, it got 12 not towing. When towing it I had to keep checking to make sure the trailer was back there.
We now have a full-sized van to pull the Argosy, if it pulled well with the Astro, the thing should pull even better with the large van, I will let you know more when we get back from the Florida State rally next week.
Terry
Old 02-14-2005, 10:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Not sure when a front wheel drive v6 intrepid became a full size. I always considered it a Mid size. Full size car to me usually means rear drive V8 like a Marquis or a Crown Vic. There are exceptions but thats what I think a full size car is.

Wheel base is short on the Newer Grands but the older full size Grands of the 80's is fine. That said, a good sway set up you should be OK.

I am planning on pulling sometimes with a 1970 Pontiac LeMans Sport Convertible. Its on par with the wheel base of a new Grand but a little more power if I go get this motor I want this weekend. I think a 400 CID Poncho motor making about 375 Horse and about 450lbft of torque though a 3 speed Saginaw and 3.23 rear end with 225 70 15s should be fine for a 3500lb coach.. Thats more grunt then the 454 Burb I plan to pull with normally

The older the lighter on the coach. Airstreams were originally designed to be pulled with cars. Not till the late 60's did they start getting heavy. The Argosy kept the weight off but something like a GT or a Caravel should be well withing reason for a V8 Grand and probably be fine with a 6cyl as well.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:38 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Colo Spgs , Colorado
John

You asked what did they pull with in the olden days, ... the family sedan?? To me that means you are looking at a vintage trailer. If your trailer is of the vintage era you have no ideal of the looks and smiles and waves and the amount of thumbs pointing upward that you will see if you pull with the same era tow vehicle. If you need some ideals or whatever just contact me ( FltSgt@aol.com )

Rodger & Gabby
Colo Spgs
Old 02-15-2005, 12:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Rodger with a "D".
Thanks for the vote of confidence. We just brought home today a 1967 Cadillac Sedan DeVille to tow our 1967 Globetrotter. This was one of those "barn finds." It had sat for some 25 years up in Wyoming(paint is gone) under a cover. A guy in Elisabeth, Colorado bought her 2 years ago to restore, but lost interest. Except for maintenance items replaced from sitting, its original, right down to its mileage, 32,041, yep 32K!!! This one will make our hitch place grin. Last week, I took them a 1967 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, but those cars are uni-body, so no hitch.
We will re-paint, re-upholster, (add a/c,radio, options it didn't come with) Yippee!
Old 02-15-2005, 09:27 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Colo Spgs , Colorado
( New Caddy Tow Owner )

The Caddy should have the Delco AM/FM and air already in it. Either way it is a very good towing platform. I use a stock Seq Green 1966 Le Baron ( make: Le Baron, model: Southampton ) with dual A/C, AM/FM, 6 way buckets on both sides and etc for our '70 InterNational Dbl.

When you said Elizabeth it made me think of the guy who has the 400 Ramblers.

A friend in Denver has a 1948 New Yorker with the straight eight and Fluid Drive that was used for towing a camper by a PO.

Rodger & Gabby
Old 02-15-2005, 01:56 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

I didn't notice above, but one of the more common TowVehicles is the full size Chevy suburban. I towed our 25 and 31 ft trailers with no problem, but have since moved to a 345 MoHo. Wanna buy a 2003 3/4t Chevy? We used to tow the 25'Safari with a 98 5.2L GrandCherokee. Going down a steep hill we almost lost brakes once. Going up was no problem.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Rodger w/D,

This Cadillac we just bought was ordered radio-less. It has black plastic plate with Cadillac written script on it. Reading in our Cadillac books the radio (any style am/fm,am,am/fm/8track was optional) A/ C was a $560.00 option as well.

ElliottBartlett, sorry but we already have a 4X4 Duramax to tow the Globetrotter when the Cadillac won't do. ( You know carrying dogs, bikes, blue tank, Generator, firewood, BBQ, etc.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:31 PM   #12
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus
We just brought home today a 1967 Cadillac Sedan DeVille to tow our 1967 Globetrotter. (add a/c,radio, options it didn't come with)
Are you sure that you don't have a Calais Sedan?
It was the "sport model" of Cadillacs (read cheap).
They usually in that year had a 429 engine, no tilt wheel, A/C was an option, as were power seats, cruise, and FM stereo. AM was standard, but could be deleted if ordering. I personally like no-frills cars, if it isn't there, it won't ever break.
Terry
Old 02-15-2005, 11:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

argosy20,

Yep we thought too, but the VIN and the data plate signify its Sedan DeVille. The DeVille and Calais both came with 429 CID motor according to our books. Someone just cheaped out I guess. The car has Pwr seat, rear defrost, pwr windows, the taller rear-end (3.21)
Old 02-16-2005, 10:03 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
John---You'll find as you read through post both here and other Rv sites that the "In Thing" now days is to have the biggest and badest tow vehicle you can get. Personally I think our whole society has got caught up in this idea. We race to work, eat a fast food lunch. race back home, hook up to our trailer and race off on vacation, race from one site to another and race back home so we can start this process all over again. What does this have to do with towing with a Jeep? In years past we towed with the family car many times because it was the only ONE we had. Roads were mostly two lane , people for the most part drove slower, 60 mph was "flying". Life was simpler, people traveled slower and a vacation was a vacation. Personally I think this kind of travel not only was more enjoyable but is still possable. It is not necessary to see every National park in the country on one vcacation, drive 75 mph every where you go,have the most powerful tow vehicle made,etc. I read somewhere the average visitor to the Grand Canyon spends less than an hour there. I have a goal of some day taking a trip from coast to coast on two lane roads and never going over 55 mph. Would that be fun or what! If your vehicle will tow your trailer safely at speeds your comfortable with go have fun with what you have.-----Pieman