Old 02-16-2005, 10:19 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Though you are right Mike, the bottom line is that you can't compare the good ol days to today. The good ol days had cars with full frames, engines ususally not smaller than a 350, weighed more than the coaches in most cases and the RVs themselves weighed less than their sibilings of today.

So in this particular thread the question was could a GC tow a Bambi. The answer, though layered was yes. The only issue was that if we were talking a newer Bambi, not vintage, a V6 would not be a good idea or possible by the numbers. If it were a V8 GC, it could do either, though the smaller wheelbase would be a concern.

Fact is that today, there are lots of choices. I've been down that road a few times since jumping back into RVing. My personal exp has shown me that it's a fools paradise out there with sales folks saying anything to get gear out the door. I think a lot of what folks post on the towing subject is right on when it comes to proper gear and tow vehicles. Some spend big bucks on a coach, only to skimp on the hitches or tow vehicles. In some cases that can make for a dangerous situation.

On the other side of the coin, I would not advocate that a person in John's situation go out and buy a Peterbilt or a 3/4 ton truck. But I would suggest better in the long run than the GC.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 01:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLORADOBUS
We just brought home today a 1967 Cadillac Sedan DeVille to tow our 1967 Globetrotter.
Pictures??? We want pictures!

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Silver-- I think we're in agreement as to having a tow vehicle and related equipment that is safe. My objection with many post is there are those that would have you believe one must have the biggest,heavest, most expensive tow vehicle with every performance mod. available before hitching up. That simply is not true, plus not everyone has $40k or more for a new tow vehicle. My point is that one can enjoy traveling in a slower, simpler, less expensive way. Concerning older vehicles--many would say they don't make them like they used to. My responce "thank goodness".
"what makes the good old days the good old days is a POOR MEMORY"
Pieman
Old 02-16-2005, 05:30 PM   #18
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
. . . . Concerning older vehicles--many would say they don't make them like they used to. My responce "thank goodness".
"what makes the good old days the good old days is a POOR MEMORY"
Pieman
I would love to find a tow vehicle that matches the year of my '59 Tradewind, but they are universally ugly. Especially the Chevy Wagon.

Well, maybe the '59 Ford F100 wasn't to bad.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:48 PM   #19
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
don, the chevy apache pick up looks good too!

especially if it is one of those rare 4wd models! however, i don't think it would do well in the big is better crowd because it came with a 262 straight 6 if i recall correctly.

john
Old 02-16-2005, 07:35 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

I had a Jeep Tow Vehicle

Maybe I can help. We have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic, 4x4, 4.0 litre 6 clyinder. I towed a 1997 Sunline 21', weighing in at about 4500 lbs with my Cherokee with no problem. Be sure you add a transmission cooler, but other than that you should be fine. The 6 cly makes a lot of torque for towing and the mileage was fair, about 11 mpg averaging about 70 mph. Oh, the owners manual reccomends not towing anything over 24 ft, due to wheelbase. I towed the 21 footer with no problem, so the 19 foot lighter Bambi should tow great. Hope this is of help.

Lowell
Old 02-16-2005, 08:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
Not sure when a front wheel drive v6 intrepid became a full size. I always considered it a Mid size. Full size car to me usually means rear drive V8 like a Marquis or a Crown Vic. There are exceptions but thats what I think a full size car is.
Working for the Big Three I have learned that a full size car is not based upon power train specs. It is based upon interior room.
The Intrepid is rated as a full size sedan. Auto Trend Weekly rates it as a full size even. Growing up in the 70's and 80's this was not my idea of a full size car either. The Intrepid's wheelbase is not mmuch less than that of the Crown Vic or Marquis.
The Marquis and Crown Vic of today has about the same wheelbase as the older ones from the 80's. It is still built on basically the same platform.
They are good for towing. Nice low center of gravity and a frame too boot! Too bad it is going bub-bye soon. If it weren't for municipalities it would be gone already.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:13 PM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
Working for the Big Three I have learned that a full size car is not based upon power train specs. It is based upon interior room.
The Intrepid is rated as a full size sedan. Auto Trend Weekly rates it as a full size even. Growing up in the 70's and 80's this was not my idea of a full size car either. The Intrepid's wheelbase is not mmuch less than that of the Crown Vic or Marquis.
The Marquis and Crown Vic of today has about the same wheelbase as the older ones from the 80's. It is still built on basically the same platform.
They are good for towing. Nice low center of gravity and a frame too boot! Too bad it is going bub-bye soon. If it weren't for municipalities it would be gone already.
You saying Ford is gonna nix their body on frame cars like GM did in '96?

I own 2 copies ('96) of those last body on frame cars GM made. Had three, but after 25 years of use, one just finally wore out, or I should say the body did....engine still ran like a top and burned no oil.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 02-16-2005, 09:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie

I own 2 copies ('96) of those last body on frame cars GM made. Had three, but after 25 years of use, one just finally wore out, or I should say the body did....engine still ran like a top and burned no oil.
It is sad to say it but yes they are.
I get a trade publication every week that has all of the auto news in it. Living near Detroit you are bound to do work for an auto company sooner or later.
The only thing keeping that body afloat right now is municipal sales. Police cars and what-not.
I know what you mean about the old GM body-on-frame cars. The last set of them was built right outside of Detroit in Willow Run. My buddy used to be an engineer at that plant. GM is not going to produce the Bonneville after this model year either. Not that anyone tows with the current Bonneville anyway. I figure if you can't tow with it all it can be is a grocery-getter.
I almost cried when GM stopped production of the Safari/Astro vans. Now I have to go to a full size van.
I wonder if you can tow with that Dodge Magnum or Chrysker 300? Just a thought. I wouldn't do it even if I could. If I got a Magnum it would be for messing around in anyway! It would look cool towing my 1977 20 foot Minuet! I will have to do that up in PhotoShop and see how it looks!
Old 02-16-2005, 09:27 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Colo Spgs , Colorado
John

In reading a trailer tow test dated in 1956 the V8 powered Mercury ( same type of car used with Lucy ) was abile to get just over 90 mph w/o the ( twin axle 26' A/S ) trailer. Some ten years later with a tow test they used a 383 powered four door sedan Dodge that pulled the big dual axled AS faster than the Mercury could muster up running solo.

What vehicles are shown in the 1959 AS brochure and ads for towing the Silver Bullits? If you ( Don ) do not care for the low end 59 Chevy that may have the optional 283 and two speed powerglide, how about a 59 Buick or the 59 New Yorker with a 413. Both cars have a trunk big enough to throw in a Honda generator.

And you never did say what year of trailer that you have.

Rodger & Gabby
Old 02-16-2005, 09:35 PM   #25
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Angry

Quote:

Yup, afraid so, Eric. The next generation Crown Vic is going to be on the Five Hundred platform. That is, front wheel drive, unibody, V6, etc., etc....
Terry
Old 02-16-2005, 10:07 PM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, it's no secrect that I'm not a Ford person, but I have to say, I am a bit taken back by Ford's decsion to nix it. I would have picked up a Marauder if it had something other than the 4.6L. If they only put the 5.4 in it...... I always took some comfort in the fact that Ford didn't loose their heads too and nix body on frames.....what a total shame. Folks will have to pry the keys out of my cold dead hands to get me to part with my final GM body on frame cars.

Sad, sad day (at least for me). The whole world has gone mad!
Old 02-16-2005, 10:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Quote:
You know, it's no secrect that I'm not a Ford person, but I have to say, I am a bit taken back by Ford's decsion to nix it. I would have picked up a Marauder if it had something other than the 4.6L. If they only put the 5.4 in it...... I always took some comfort in the fact that Ford didn't loose their heads too and nix body on frames.....what a total shame. Folks will have to pry the keys out of my cold dead hands to get me to part with my final GM body on frame cars.

Sad, sad day (at least for me). The whole world has gone mad!
I know what you mean.
You gotta look at it from their point of view too. The average plant that produces cars has got to be profitable.
If no one buys what they make then there are a lot of union brothers and sisters that are out of work. Not to mention the enormous loss the company takes from shuttering a plant. They have to find something that sells. The same reason GM nixed the Safari/Astro vans. Those sure tow good and they last forever!
I hate to see the body-on-frame cars go too. The whole reason they are going is nobody buys them. SUV's, trucks and mini-vans. That what sells now.
I bought a Durango back in 1998. The first time I sat in it I thought, "Man this seems familiar". It was because it was a lot like sitting in my Dodge Aspen wagon that I had as a kid! To me, the SUV's are nothing more than station wagons on truck frames. They look good and they sure are nice, but wasn't your dad's old wagon just as nice? Minus the new technology that is...
Old 02-16-2005, 10:33 PM   #28
Site Team

, Minnesota
If anyone wants a mid 90's GMC Astro Van with high miles cheap, let me know. Has the tow package but was never used as a tow vehicle. Has 177,000 mi, body is in good shape, and lots of the mechanicals have been replaced.

It's located in Rhode Island. I think it would sell for $3800.