Old 02-27-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Jeep Reviews Not So Good

I would think twice before getting a new Jeep diesel. They don't have great reliability running empty and pulling a trailer is only going to make that worse.

Jeep Reputation Hurt Badly in New Study - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. (ADR) (NYSE:HMC) - 24/7 Wall St.

Perry

Old 02-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Enjoyable read - thanks. Isn't it bizarre that TWO companies allowed themselves to be dragged into the dirt by the infotainment systems in the cars? Weird. You would think Ford would just dump it like a hot potato. It's mostly nothing but software.

I was skeptical of this big panel on my Chrysler. Everything all in one. But oddly, it works very nice. I didn't even have to read the manual. I suppose my one complaint is that the Nav volume for voice is not adjustable.

Anyway, too bad on the Jeep. I know lots a people getting the big GC for towing.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I am a Consumers Reports subscriber, and have been for probably 30 + years. I believe that they do a fair job of evaluation of products overall, however on the Jeep they seem to have a blind spot, and it has been ongoing for years.

I have had one Jeep or another since 1978. None have been perfect, but few rigs are. I cannot say that any of them have been any more troublesome than any other vehicles I have owned in the same time including a Suburban, VW's, and several Audi's and now Toyota Camry Hybrid's. I have towed Airstreams with each and every one of my Jeeps, and have been to the Yukon with one Jeep and Airstream.

The only on the road towing problems I have had with the Jeep was on the '93 Grand Cherokee, which had a computer failure, and a coil failure, both disabling me. The most troublesome tow vehicle was the Chev Suburban, with transmission failure (twice) and total engine failure once. That required a new crate engine.

In 2011 when Jeep introduced the new Grand Cherokee, Consumers Reports gave it high praise which was a surprise considering how negative they had been for years on the Jeep Grand Cherokee. However, now in 2014 they seem to be back bashing the Grand Cherokee. I am not sure why.

I currently own a 2012 Grand Cherokee. In 2 years and 20,000 miles (about 12 to 14 thousand towing) it has been back for exactly one problem, the back up camera failed.

So, I like Consumers Reports, but simply have had very different experiences with the seven Jeeps that I have owned vs. their ratings. For those of you considering the Jeep Grand Cherokee, I would simply say that I find it to be a very good tow vehicle.

I hope the new Italian made Diesel will be a good engine, but that is for time to tell. The older, fairly rare Mercedes Diesel used in some Jeeps seems to have had a good reputation, but it is not the one used now and the new engine cannot be compared with the old ones in any way other than they are diesels.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I'm no expert on CU, but I thought the car reports were data driven. That they collected data from users/owners and then compiled it. No?
Old 02-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
I'm no expert on CU, but I thought the car reports were data driven. That they collected data from users/owners and then compiled it. No?
In general that is the way they work, but raw data has to be interpreted and that is where the art and science blend.

The old statement is "figures don't lie, but liers figure" comes to mind. That sounds more harsh than I want it to. I don't think there is a grand conspiracy at CR to misrepresent the Jeep, but over and over they work back to negative reviews. And remember, I like CR overall, but it seems that their use of data is not always evenly applied.

Remember, these are my opinions only. I cannot build a case for or against their work but I do not share their thoughts on the Jeeps.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
When Consumer Reports hated old VW's they were some of the best cars I ever owned. Then bought an '88 Audi Quattro when CR hated Audi's, while we put 350,000 trouble-free miles on it. And it wouldn't rust. I think it's still on the road, seen it last year.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
CR does not like VW's either. What I don't like about the CR ratings is they just say problems. There are minor problems and there are stranded on the side of the road with smoke coming out from under the hood problems. The latter concern me more than the blue tooth entertainment system does not recognize my voice type of problem. I have to agree with them about the Ford entertainment system issues. I took a trip a couple of years ago in one of their hybrids with the entertainment system. I plugged in my Zune player and navigating songs was next to impossible using the on board software and was down right dangerous to use while driving. I am happy to have an MP3 CD player in my cars.

Perry
Old 02-27-2014, 10:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:
I suppose my one complaint is that the Nav volume for voice is not adjustable.
It is adjustable, both via menu or when it's "talking" adjust the volume for new levels....
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
A real published road test with a 7,300 pound trailer behind the new diesel Ram 1500 was not good. Engine and transmission over heated on a 7% grade and it is not yet summer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
It is adjustable, both via menu or when it's "talking" adjust the volume for new levels....
Really? I have the same Garmin as a standalone for the other car, and the volume is a menu item. I looked high and low through the dash unit in the 300 and could not find a volume menu. Since the voices bits come in short bursts, I don't think I tried turning the radio volume knob, but I will try! Thanks. I sure thought it was odd not to be able to change volume.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
A real published road test with a 7,300 pound trailer behind the new diesel Ram 1500 was not good. Engine and transmission over heated on a 7% grade and it is not yet summer.
Surprising.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:35 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
I guess I'm a statistical anomaly. I have over 8000 trouble free miles on my 2014 Grand Cherokee diesel.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1978 25' Tradewind
NEW LENOX , Illinois
Trerry, I am with you - I've got 20,000 on my 2014 JGC V6 gas with no problems. I used it to tow the Tradewind to Jasper and back. No problems, easy towing.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:
I have the same Garmin as a standalone for the other car
Same NAV in my 2013 2500 & 2014 SRT Grand Cherokee - both vehicles when the lady is chatting and I have the music loud, I just turn up the volume via the steering wheel and it stays there. Downside, when I turn down the radio and she speaks again I need to turn it back down again to match the radio level.

Let me see if I can find it listed in one of the two manuals - assume you have the new version of the NAV vice the previous version?

**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote