Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I have subscribed to CR for a long time and that is the first place I look for ratings. However If I'm going to actually buy something I check a lot of other sources first. That goes double for vehicles. I have been a car enthusiast since I could first say "car". I definitely feel that CR does develop biases that can last for several years.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I've had the opportunity to exchange emails with a CR engineer "off the record" and one has to understand that they have an agenda and Jeep does not fit that agenda. While CR has issues with the Grand Cherokee, FOUR WHEELER thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread!

CR is the easiest magazine out there for a car guy to ignore.

One also has to take into consideration that Toyota and Honda had tremendous government support in the 70's and 80's that allowed dealers to bend over backwards to keep customers happy. The dealer count for Toyota and Honda is about half of Ford or Chevy, thus more profits. Durango has about 55,000 residents and the closest Honda dealer is 65 miles! In the same market area, there are three Ford dealers. Do the math!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Maybe the mud boggers are the ones producing the failures?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Statistics

If 60% of the people have major problems with a vehicle, 40% will really like the vehicle. ( arbitrary numbers ). I had major problems with the Grand Cherokee. The sensors ( the car will die while you drive it, then an hour later start right up. Kinda dangerous. The internet has volumes about people that had that problem) The radiator fan motor needed to be replaced 3 times. The four wheel drive died. The heater died. Center of gravity/wheelbase is said to be a cause for concern. That being said…When they work, they are a very nice ride. It did perform well for the first 8000 miles. Tow with one???? If you need a specially designed custom hitch for it, Is it a good tow vehicle??
I get that people would like a vehicle with good gas mileage, that can tow. But like an amphibious vehicle, they make a not so great boat, and a not so great car.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote