Old 02-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
In my world minimum lifetime is 200k miles. If you buy a new vehicle every two years like the average in debt American, you don't need to worry about long term reliability. I also buy used so you have the advantage of knowing the service history of the particular model you are buying. Personally, I would wait on the diesel Jeep till there are at least a couple years worth of time on that configuration before buying.

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
I'm no expert on CU, but I thought the car reports were data driven. That they collected data from users/owners and then compiled it. No?
Yes. If you are a CR subscriber you get a vehicle survey every year. Frequency repair is based on the results of the survey. Just so one sore head won't skew the results, CR will say so if there is insufficient data and not give a result for the year that the data is insufficient.
I wish Chrysler would clean up its act as the Jeep fits into the niche I am looking for an off road capable vehicle capable of pulling a medium size trailer.
Driving reports on Jeep Cherokees are positive from Consumer Reports and others but few of us are willing to take a chance with a potential lemon. Particularly problematic are the Pentstar V6 and the new diesel. Best bet is the old iron Hemi. My tow vehicle is getting very long in the tooth and I will at least drive the Jeep when the time comes.

handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Note: Consumer Reports annual auto issue (April 2014) is on newsstands now. Unfortunately, the editors changed the reliability charts. Now, just one overall "used car verdict" (reliability rating) is given for each of the preceding 14 model years, without a breakdown for individual failure categories (e.g., body, engine, air conditioner, etc.). So, one can still see which vehicles and years are more trouble prone, but it's no longer obvious what the failures are. (I hope they change this back for next year.)
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
In over ten years of subscribing to CR at this address we've never gotten a survey for anything that applied to a minimalist materialistic homestead, their operating mode is driven by hyper-consumers. I seem to recall seeing a survey and wanting to author some fiction it was so pointedly upper-class snobbish...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Our survey questionnaire comes in by email every year. If you are a subscriber and don't get a survey, it is an oversight and they will send you one on request.
I agree some great vehicles rate poorly using the CR evaluation such as the Ford Excursion.
As far as the Jeep Cherokee, I doubt any bias. CR likes the way the car drives. Problems with Chrysler and Jeep vehicles are documented by other sources.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
From the new car issue of CU:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf dodge.pdf (1,000.7 KB, 45 views)
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #21
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
I have subscribed to CR for a long time and that is the first place I look for ratings. However If I'm going to actually buy something I check a lot of other sources first. That goes double for vehicles. I have been a car enthusiast since I could first say "car". I definitely feel that CR does develop biases that can last for several years.

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I've had the opportunity to exchange emails with a CR engineer "off the record" and one has to understand that they have an agenda and Jeep does not fit that agenda. While CR has issues with the Grand Cherokee, FOUR WHEELER thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread!

CR is the easiest magazine out there for a car guy to ignore.

One also has to take into consideration that Toyota and Honda had tremendous government support in the 70's and 80's that allowed dealers to bend over backwards to keep customers happy. The dealer count for Toyota and Honda is about half of Ford or Chevy, thus more profits. Durango has about 55,000 residents and the closest Honda dealer is 65 miles! In the same market area, there are three Ford dealers. Do the math!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Maybe the mud boggers are the ones producing the failures?

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #24
Rivet Master

If 60% of the people have major problems with a vehicle, 40% will really like the vehicle. ( arbitrary numbers ). I had major problems with the Grand Cherokee. The sensors ( the car will die while you drive it, then an hour later start right up. Kinda dangerous. The internet has volumes about people that had that problem) The radiator fan motor needed to be replaced 3 times. The four wheel drive died. The heater died. Center of gravity/wheelbase is said to be a cause for concern. That being said…When they work, they are a very nice ride. It did perform well for the first 8000 miles. Tow with one???? If you need a specially designed custom hitch for it, Is it a good tow vehicle??
I get that people would like a vehicle with good gas mileage, that can tow. But like an amphibious vehicle, they make a not so great boat, and a not so great car.

mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote