Old 07-18-2006, 09:34 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
Ok campADK...

Seeings how your looking at an 05 with about 10 yrs gone by since I bought my 96 maybe...chevy may have corrected alot of their antiquated problems. It's kind of ashame you have to buy this gas hog just to tow your little 19 ftr 3 hours down the road, that 335 lbs of torque it has is only 40 lbs higher than the 4 banger turbo diesel in the Liberty. By now chevy should have designed V- 8's to produce 5 and 600 lbs torque. I don't consider 335 much for V-8, in the 21st century standards for engines. Chevy is very slow in design change in their vehicles, and this is one of the contributing factors to why their having so many problems with their sales today. No my 96 Tahoe is not a V-6, v-6 was in the astro van, and it only had 195 hp.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:59 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
I hear yah.. but if I can upgrade from my current liberty for about $6K (my estimates) I'll be happy for a few years. Other options are just too much $$$'s. Most of our miles are highway too so I can live with a bit less mpg.

campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:21 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
2 more cents

I must contribute 2 more cents because I continue to see a recipe for disaster with this Liberty tow vehicle debate....

ask 4 questions:

Is it worth the risk?
Is it worth the time to figure it out the right way?
Is the added expense of the right tow vehicle worth it?
Is it worth the potential outcome if something went terribly wrong?

If you want an 'outside the forums' opinion read this RV Towing guide.. I have referenced it in a previous post and in my opinion the information is solid..

Pay particular attention to the wheelbase section (how long of a trailer).

I sold my Jeep Grand Cherokee and now own a F250, when it was purchased I didn't know what length of AS we would end up with, I just knew the Grand Cherokee (109 in wheel base) wouldn't work for the late model and heavy Airstreams.. I loved my Jeep it is the only vehicle I've ever missed after selling. I took it into more places where traction control pulled me out while 3 tires were spinning on rocks or mud or snow than I can count but it wasn't suitable for our current needs. You'll find the right solution just keep searching and asking questions. Read read read…read……
End of 2 cents....

Be safe......

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:42 AM   #18
_

. , .
as looped as i am,
i agree with az' all the way

lets try another approach to shopping
describe your needs,
towing ,fuel, space styling and so on..........

let folks comment on the ideal tv for a given trialer...........
the answers might surprise your, or guide your or give you a big laudh....

but it is a very helpful approach11

CHEERS
2AIR'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
as looped as i am,
i agree with az' all the way
Thanks for coming out.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:03 PM   #20
Ledbehind

2018 16' Sport
Great Falls , Virginia
Jeep liberty weight

Stonecrest2,

I did not mean to imply that the bambi weighed more than the jeep . My 1961 Tradewind weighs 3200# & the Bambi 4500+. That's what I meant to say.

Henry

Shucks, now you guys got me looking at other TVs but I just bought the Jeep in December 05 - my WIFE needs a new truck - THAT'S the ticket!!!!!
Old 07-22-2006, 09:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Tow Vehicles

Hi, stonecrest2, Your expecting way too much torque [5-600 foot lbs] from any Chevy push rod engine let alone any other gas engine. My Navigator 5.4L dual overhead cam 32 valve high tech engine at 300 HP and 365 lbs torque is about as high as you're going to get. [ Hemi 340HP 375 torque] [Ford GT 550 HP 500 lbs torque] To get the torque you expect from a gas engine, you would need about 10 L or 600 c.i. with a blower. [3 mpg]
Gas engines are the horsepower makers and Diesels are the torque monsters. Modern technology is closing the gap between them.
And while you mentioned the 40lbs torque difference between the Chevy and the jeep, you failed to mention the difference in horsepower of the Chevy and Jeep Diesel. I think the Chevy has almost double the horsepower? Don't take this personal, I'm not picking on stonecrest2 nor am I a Chevy fan; I just think this picture needs more color to be seen better.

Bob