Old 09-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
Grand Cherokee CRD and FC25

I have a 2014 FC25' and a 2007 Grand Cherokee CRD 3.0L Diesel. I have added the Green Diesel Engineering EcoTune Re-flash to take the torque to about 440 Ft-lb. I also use a Tekonsha Brake Controller and a 90-00-1000 Equalizer Hitch.
My experience so far (4000 miles) after towing thru West Virginia, Kentucky and the Skyline Drive in Virginia has been outstanding. I am getting 16 MPG and, if I want to, I can actually keep up the speed at 65 MPH in the hills with no signs of effort on the Diesel. The brakes and brake control seem to be doing well also with no signs of overheating or loss of control. The 5-speed Getrag automatic also allows me to engine-brake by manually downshifting downhill. The sway is also in check and the combination feels safe and controlled.

I chose the 2007 Grand Cherokee with the Mercedes-built 3.0 Liter CRD because its performance and ruggedness and so far I haven't been disappointed. The 4-wheel Quadratrac II is also a welcome bonus.

I know I sound like a commercial, but I am a happy camper!

phawk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
I'd be more concerned with braking. That Hemi is a powerhouse but the Cherokee is not a big wheel base TV with big heavy brakes so going up the mountain will be a breeze but coming down could be white nuckle experience even with tow haul pkg.

Agree, but my Tow/Haul automatically shifts into 3rd for downhills, AND I maintain a very conservative downhill speed so I rarely have to brake. Never had any worries. My brake assist is very effective, too. I think if you are careful to start out going slowly on steep downgrades, and you have a good brake assist, you should be safe.

Barretta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:58 PM   #17
2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Zurich , Ontario
We are using a 2012 GC Overland 5.7 Hemi with the tow pkg to pull a 27' EB. The hitch had a brace welded on it by Cam-Am. The engine temp has never gone over 230f going uphill even with the A/C on at 60-65 mph.

Think we were near Campbell, CA. with its long grade in the Mojave, engine 230f, oil temp was over 250f, A/C on, ambient temp was about 80f. Only time the trans temp goes over 200f is when trying to get into tight spots or when we when to Badger, CA.

When we first started towing in 2013, the TV/TT seemed to have a mind of its own, moving about in the lane. May 2013, was following the unit in PA. and noticed the trailer seemed to be offset more to one side rather than centered on the TV. Only when following just the GC noticed it was dog tracking. It took 2 tries to have the alignment right and now can almost forget the TT is behind us.

This past winter we covered 11,000 miles, over 10,000 towing, with some off roading and averaged about 11.3 mpg US overall.

The 4 wheel drive is useful for boon docking and moving into camp spots or backing up the slope of our driveway.

Also have changed tires on the TV to ones with a load rating of 112 if IIRC. Having the pressures of say 40psi front, 44psi rear all but stops oversteering in corners.

Having the weight properly placed in both TT and TV helps a lot. Tues. we can home with the GC packed and some items in the rear of the trailer and tire pressures where not adjusted as above. It did not tow very well. This happened before, not as bad when we had two dressers in the back.

Cheers, John

Airjeep is offline   Reply With Quote