Old 09-19-2007, 08:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
One main thing that give a non sway feeling of the short wheelbase vehicals
is the rear axle being located very close to the rear of the vehical ,that
in iself does not allow alot of sway motion , the toregues and porsche vehical
and others have this design ,like the Jeep does .This gives that false sense of security and a good sense cause it doesn't sway ,but then its more likely to become a rag doll thrown around such as the photo shows .That trailer is too big for the nissan and many others ,but we are guided by the manafactures who claim ,well it can tow 7000 pounds ,isn't that great .no other thought
is given most of the time ,just that it can pull tons of weight .many vehicals
can tow a big trailer down the freeway at 55 mph ,its all the other road hazards ,crowded roads ,road rage people ,construction zones ,grades and sudden manuevers that will get you in the end .The laws of physics just
don't change ,even if the vehical manafacture claims somthing that isn't true.
I have a keen perspective as I get to see these vehicals in my line of work
know the brake size and transmission capabilities ,axle and bearing sizes
so on and so forth .Im not advocating a one ton diesel ,a long wheelbase
suburban or a 4 door f250 would work also .The picture and the smashed up nissan speak volumes .

Scott of scottanliy

scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:48 AM   #16
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
The short wheelbase is the strongest drawback (along with the attendant high center of gravity). The best site to look over vehicle safety is this one; use it to compare to the trucks:

Play with the features to see how you think about the trade-offs of the GC Jeep versus a full-size pickup (or similar) as you'll be using it more miles solo than not.

JEEP sez that the Overland/diesel can tow over 7,000-lbs. I imagine the engine can (nice numbers), but the DANA 44 axle isn't a super strong piece (such as the DANA 60), but it ought, and the Jeep ought, to be able to handle something of a decent size, reasonably. Tongue weight :: payload capacity will be a limiting factor.

If you'll search here for threads by INLAND RV CTR (Andy) you'll see his discussions on proper rigging. By those, I wouldn't consider "band-aids" of
adding spring capacity.

Here's a handy travel trailer towing calculator that you can plug numbers into to do some figuring:

I imagine that Andy Thompson of CAN AM RV could get you set up. He's got folks out there pulling Airstreams with all sorts of tow vehicles.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:05 AM   #17
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Here's a similar set-up from RV.NET:

Towing with our Liberty CRD

Or, (much more interesting to my mind)

Towing with a Chrysler 300C
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:57 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2002 30' Classic
Ocala , Florida
Check out this site. There is a wealth of knowledge about Ford 6.0 l diesels under that heading. TheDieselStop.Com Forums - Powered by UBB.threads™

If you are under 100k miles on the engine, you should be covered by the engine waranty. Good luck
Bigdaddy_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1973 23' Safari
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Originally Posted by moosetags
Our son has an '06 Bambi. When he bought it, he had an '05 Jeep GC V-8. He towed the Bambi once on a 300 mile maiden voyage to our house. The towing experience absolutely scared the crap out of him. He went back to Tampa and traded the Jeep on an F-350 PSD.
Many would suspect this is a classic example of someone who didn't have there combination set up optimally.

We all know the Airstream, including tha Bambi is one of the best towing TT built.

We also know the Jeep GC is one of the best tow vehicles "in its class".

A few years ago Trailer Life magazine did a towing test of the Jeep GC and a 25' SOB Sportsman TT. They raved about how well the Jeep handled the 25' Sportsman and gave it the stamp of approval.
Airstreams..... The best towing trailers on the planet!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:07 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member
2000 31' Land Yacht
I guess that it is time to put in a counter opinion. I towed a 2002 25 ft Safari that weighed almost 6500# loaded with a 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited V-8 and loved the way it handled and drove, both empty and towing. It was equipped with the factory towing package. The original P rated OE tires were terrible, so I replaced them with BFG LT tires, load range D. The hitch was a properly adjusted Reese dual cam. Being a limited, the Jeep had full time all wheel drive, which may have helped. I could not have been more pleased with the set-up. We had it for five years before trading for a 2000 30 ft land yacht motorhome.

Good luck on your decision.

jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote