Old 06-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
Tino

2013 27' FB International
Blainville , Quebec
Jeep Grand Cherokee 2011 V6 and PP 27 foots As

For the one wandering if they can pull a 27 Aistream whit a Grand Cherokee V6, yes you can...I try 3 hitch. the reese and the Anderson. I sell the two. And now i am whit the Propride. What a difference. I travel across Canada and Usa. i did 5000 miles. 15 gal.

25' Airstream 2012
20' Airstream 2009
Tino643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Tino

2013 27' FB International
Blainville , Quebec
The picture

The picture

25' Airstream 2012
20' Airstream 2009
Tino643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Tino,
Where is "the picture"?
Tell us more about your experience with 3 different hitches.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:26 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Calgary , AB
Totally NOT SAFE!!!!

Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 2011
MAXIMUM TOWING CAPACITY** 7400 lbs. ** When adequately equipped, which may require engine and/or other drivetrain upgrades.

Airstrean Serenity 2013
7600 LBS GVWR.

Check your owner’s manual to find your vehicle’s towing capability. If you tow a load that is too heavy for your vehicle, you create a potential safety risk for yourself and others on the road. Motor Vehicle Act Regulations in British Columbia prohibit the operation of vehicles that are unsafe or improperly loaded and exceed either the Gross Axle Rating (GAWR) or the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). The Province is focusing on vehicles that are obviously overweight and pose a risk to the safety of other motorists.

They will make you disconnect and fine you.

You will have to find some way to Tow your Vehicle out of BC.
Good luck with that.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Mum@home - that 7600# may be the GVWR (same as my 27' Flying Cloud) but not necessarily the actual weight of the trailer. Mine is 5400# according to the CAT scales and that's with full propane and a half tank of fresh water together with some clothes and household items on board. The 7600 may be the MAX weight rating of the trailer itself plus all the items one would have in it. If that's the case, there may be plenty of capacity left. It would have to be weighed at the scales to know for sure.

Very good to be cautious and aware of those limits (and adhere to them!).
Old 06-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino643 View Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee 2011 V6 and PP 27 foots As
Tino.... Thnxs for the update. Airstreams tow so well as we know and the Pro Pride is highly rated. We tow with a V6 too. Works great.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Hi Tino, thank you for posting. The Grand Cherokee is a nice truck, does many things well.

doug k
Old 06-18-2013, 02:50 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Calgary , AB
7600# may be the GVWR

If you weigh your trailer loaded good for you but according to the Law in BC and Alberta they go by GVWR. Did you also know that the tow capacity of a vehicle is done without all the options and only the driver in the vehicle.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Unfortunately tow ratings have nothing to do with how safe a tow vehicle is. Many vehicles with high tow ratings can be fairly unstable solo vehicles, connecting a trailer to them does not make them better. On the other hand the other vehicles with very low tow ratings can be very stable tow vehicles and much safer.

If you want the safest possible package you are much better to look at the properties of the tow vehicle not the tow rating. The Grand Cherokee today has 4 wheel independent suspension, a relatively short rear overhang, rack and pinion steering and is availbable with a pretty good tire and wheel combination. In an emergency lane change or panic stop it will massively outperform many vehicles with much higher ratings.

The only suggestion I would make if buying one is look at the Durango RT. It is a little better tow vehicle at the expense of some off road capability.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Knowing and understanding GVWR is important to towing because it tells you explicitly the maximum weight of passengers and cargo you can safely carry in your truck or SUV. GVWR is the total combined weight of truck and trailer, including all passengers, fuel, fluids and cargo. GVWR is constant and does not change, regardless of what you tow. It’s engineered in when the vehicle is manufactured.

Because tongue weight must be included in the GVWR, you will need to know how much weight capacity you need to have “left over” for when you hook up your trailer.

For example, if you have a 5,000-pound truck with a 6,200 pound GVWR, you can safely carry 1,200 pounds in the vehicle. If you are towing a trailer with a 300-pound tongue weight, the amount of passengers and gear you can carry decreases to 900 pounds. Simple, right?
It does not deal with tow ability, it has it deals with safety!! I have a 2007 Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 and it is rated at 7400 GVWR and pull a 25 ft FB and it requires a 7400 GVWR. Check with Airstream and see what GVWR is required. Remember it is more than whether you can pull the trailer, but can your vehicle can handle it in a adverse situation.
Will the tail wag the dog, or the dog wag the tail????
Don't take chances
Old 08-04-2013, 06:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
GVWR is a really important number, in a way perhaps the only important number. It also illustrates how arbitrary the published tow capability often appears to be.

Published tow capability for our vehicle is 3500lbs, but even with our 6200lbs trailer hitched up we still have 800lbs left for people, gas etc when looking at the GVWR.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennandJerry View Post
Knowing and understanding GVWR is important to towing because it tells you explicitly the maximum weight of passengers and cargo you can safely carry in your truck or SUV. GVWR is the total combined weight of truck and trailer, including all passengers, fuel, fluids and cargo. GVWR is constant and does not change, regardless of what you tow. It’s engineered in when the vehicle is manufactured.

Because tongue weight must be included in the GVWR, you will need to know how much weight capacity you need to have “left over” for when you hook up your trailer.

For example, if you have a 5,000-pound truck with a 6,200 pound GVWR, you can safely carry 1,200 pounds in the vehicle. If you are towing a trailer with a 300-pound tongue weight, the amount of passengers and gear you can carry decreases to 900 pounds. Simple, right?
It does not deal with tow ability, it has it deals with safety!! I have a 2007 Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 and it is rated at 7400 GVWR and pull a 25 ft FB and it requires a 7400 GVWR. Check with Airstream and see what GVWR is required. Remember it is more than whether you can pull the trailer, but can your vehicle can handle it in a adverse situation.
Will the tail wag the dog, or the dog wag the tail????
Don't take chances
Speaking of taking chances, have you compared the tongue weight of your trailer to the tongue weight rating of your GC hitch receiver?

doug
Old 08-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

In 35 years of towing I have had four rigs and towed over 100,000 miles; some in Mexico, on forest service roads and in the moutains of the west.
The first was when I just got started, I towed a 5000 lb Hi-Lo with a 3000 lb tow rated trucklet (chevy S-10). That lasted until the clutch and pressure plate went on the trucklet. Meanwhile I had some scary experiences with burning brakes and the trailer pushing the trucklet on down hill corners. Hi-Los have impeccable towing manners like Airstreams.
I traded the trucklet for a full size Bronco rated to pull the Hi-Lo and had years of pleasurable towing.
The next rig was a sob wood framed 26 foot box trailer towed by a Ford Expedition. I was right at the tow limit and combined gross vehicle weight limits.
Trailer sway was a big problem that was only partially mitigated with sway control. I had mechanical problems with the rear suspension. Going over whoop de doos, the trailer bouncing up and down would beat up on the driver and passenger mercilessly. Obviously, the tail was wagging the dog.
I traded the Expedition for a diesel Excursion. It showed that miserable trailer who was boss. I used the sway control device but didn't need it. I would feel whoop de doos but there would be one bounce and that was it.
When the wooden framed trailer broke apart after a 6500 mile trip to Mexico, I traded it for an Airstream with a 6300 gvw. The Excursion towed it perfectly.
An inadequate tow vehicle will tow an Airstream down the interstate without drama. The test comes with extreme towing conditions.
Will your rig tow up a long 7% grade in 100 degree temps without turning off the air conditioning and opening the windows and worries when the temp gage goes into the red?
Will your rig go down the curvy 10% grade of Teton Pass without drama and without the smell of burning brakes?
What happens to your rig when a semi passes you at 75 mph in a crosswind?
What happens when you have a blow out on the front tire of your tow vehicle?
What happens when some idiot cuts you off at 65 mph and you have to brake and swerve?
Have you had a premature mechanical failure?
If your rig passes these tests, then you are a responsible driver. If it fails a test, you should consider if you are endangering yourself and others.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
I own the same 2011 GC. The tow rating for the v6 is 5200 lbs. The rating everyone is giving is for the V8 version. My trailer loaded is 5000#. The v6 handles it well.

I have lost control and a totaled a SUV and Airstream trailer. The problem started when I said to the RV dealer are the brakes working?(his reply was yes) He the though I ment lights and what I ment was electric brakes.

It was on a Sunday going though Wycville, VA in the mountains that I found out his mistake. We almost lost are lives. Being upside down on the shoulder hanging from your seat belt and pointed in the oppisite direction at night was not fun. I'm suprised that I got my wife back in a car or a trailer after that. It took at least a year to get over it.

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote