Old 06-24-2015, 11:43 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorona View Post
btw. After reading some posts i am curious about the non diesel option. Nothing is set in stone at this point except that we don't want to get just "get by". right now our TV is a 2004 Nissan Frontier that is equipped to tow up to 5,00lbs. We are just getting by with this truck and don;t want to do that anymore. We want to be sure we can go anywhere without hesitation which is probably why we lean diesel at this time, but if a GC with a Hemi can do the trick and not be a gas guzzler than that would work as well.

Remember though that this TV will be driven in NYC every day so we don't want a monster sized vehicle, the Durango looks to big to us. Smaller in size but powerful.

This isn't something I am buying right now so the more options the better.
Gasoline Option:

You aren't really pushing things with your weight/size trailer. If you can't bring yourself to buy a minivan how about an Acura MDX coming off lease? You get the SUV with a little bit more carlike handling and increased day to day driveability. Trade a little bit of range for lower maintenance cost.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1974 21' Globetrotter
staten island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
Gasoline Option:

You aren't really pushing things with your weight/size trailer. If you can't bring yourself to buy a minivan how about an Acura MDX coming off lease? You get the SUV with a little bit more carlike handling and increased day to day driveability. Trade a little bit of range for lower maintenance cost.
I looked at it but knowing how my wife and I are I could see us getting a 25ft. AS in the future and we want to stat really traveling so when I tow I want the TV to not strain when were up high elevation or traveling for weeks at a time.

One thing we decided is that the TV must tow a minimum of 6,000lbs.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
> traveling so when I tow I want the TV to not strain when were up high elevation or traveling for weeks at a time.

Something with a turbo or supercharger then like the Q7/Porsche gas or V6 Ecoboost family. But they both get very thirsty when towing I've read.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:11 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Curtis Wright
san marcos , Texas
Send a message via AIM to kevinkatz
how about a BMW X5d?

not trying to muddy the waters---but will anyway
we tow our 65 caravel (which is only 17' and 2500#) with a 2011 BMW X5d, which is a diesel. i have to tell you i love this vehicle. when not towing the diesel has so much torque that it is fun to drive. it is very smooth and you dont feel the road bumps. it really is a sophisticated, luxury SUV that is enjoyable to drive around town. the gas mileage is excellent.
it is also fantastic for towing. really does it with ease. i feel that the AWD makes it tow better and is safer. the diesel torque really helps with towing.
the car has been a delight and i would encourage you to consider one if your trailer is not too large.