Old 05-26-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Delta , British Columbia
J and J

With the assurance of our Airstream dealer, we purchased a 2008 FJ Cruiser to tow a 25' Safari, and now find that the tow vehicle may not be suitable. The Cruiser was picked up last Sat. with 7 miles on it, and now find that the truck may not be able to tow. Any comments?

Thanks from J and J

Old 05-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Like anything else the issue is doing your homework and checking the specs. I don't trust anyone to give me advice if they are attached to the sales standpoint of the trailer or the tow vehicle.

Lots of advice here and just going out to the Toyota website and the Airstream web site, you can see that this tow vehicle was on the edge.

Sorry you had to learn this the hard way. My only advice is whether you can get the Toyota dealer to consider a trade for a more suitable tow vehicle. I assume you haven't titled the vehicle yet so for all intents the dealership might consider allowing you to trade up without the depreciation hit.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:42 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
First off, Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

The Airstream dealer who told you that has obviously never towed anything, and has given you some really lousy advice.

I just went on toyota.com and found the the max towing capacity for an FJ Cruiser is 5000#. The prevailing wisdom is not to exceed 80% of the manufacuters limit. Therefore, an FJ Cruiser would be comfortable towing 4000# or less. Unfortunately, a late model 25' Airstream loaded for travel will be somewhere around 7500#. That's not a TT/TV combo that I would want to take on a long trip. The FJ is also a fairly short wheelbased vehicle, which will only serve to add to the drama.

As recommended, I would start with the Toyota Dealer. He might take pitty on you and cut you a trade-up deal that wouldn't sting too badly.

I would also go back to the Airstream dealer in question, and have a serious chat with him about being an idiot. The very least he should do is come up with a Hensley Arrow Hitch at his expense so that you can follow his towing advice without injuring yourself. Maybe the FJ can be set-up to tow the 25 footer.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
I would also go back to the Airstream dealer in question, and have a serious chat with him about being an idiot. The very least he should do is come up with a Hensley Arrow Hitch at his expense...
I was going to suggest going back to the Airstream dealer with a bill for loss taken on the FJ when you trade it for something larger! This wasn't Traveland RV, was it?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd have to agree with what Jack said. The only real and true thing is to do your own homework. Dealers, and not just RV dealers are notorious for over quoting and under delivering. If you must have a 25er, then you will need to get a better vehicle or perhaps downgrade the plan to a 16 footer from a 25er.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
This is going to be painful no matter what you do. 7 miles on the FJ? Wow what a mess. The toyota dealer is your best shot, Airstream dealer is obviously an idiot so that would be a waste of time. Try and get a tundra, belly up to the bar and do it right this time. This should be on the list of what not to do. Good luck. Your last shot is the miracle workers in Ontario, a real long drive indeed. Something tells me Andrew needs a location in the western region.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
I would certainly question the Airstream dealer - Is there anything in writing? If so, contact an attorney. If you really like your Airstream, the best bet is to trade - a Tundra 5.7 will do just fine. Best of Success.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:15 PM   #8
_

. , .
hi j&j...

7 miles on the odo ?

so did you try towing (without a break in period) or have you run the numbers and realized the issues?

return the fj and get a tundra.

it IS the only thing genuinely capable of towing a new 25 in their line up...

the sequoia and land cruiser can manage, but really aren't great choices either.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
The 2008 Sequoia with the heavy duty towing package is rated at 10,000 lbs. Should be more than adequate for the 25' A/S.

John
Old 06-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
The 2008 Sequoia...Should be more than adequate for the 25' A/S.John
the seq' weighs in at 6000lb...

and only has a payload of ~1,200 lbs.

yes it's built on a tundra foundation, BUT with an 'suv' heavy body

the tongue mass on new 25s is 750-900 lbs.

counting lp gas and a spare tire, water and cargo it could be more.

so the seq' is only RATED for 3-400 lbs more than the tongue.

and that isn't counting the HITCH or basic cargo IN the suv...

like a LOT of fat/heavy suvs the seq suffers from it's baseline BLOAT...

basically like the yuk-on or other curb heavy suvs.

2-3 people INSiDE the seq' and one order of french fries==='tilt'...

from the payload perspective a 4 runner, armada, or nissan truck can carry more...

which is why i suggested the seq', "can manage" but isn't a great choice for a new 25...

now back to the original issue...

it will be interesting 2 read from those that suggest the fj is a good match 4 a 25...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote