Old 12-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

i have moved north to VIRGINIA CITY , Nevada
Is Towing 6000 lbs with a diesel overkill?

OOPS... i made a TYPO up there.... it wont let me change it.

anyway.....
I am wondering about the smaller AS. if i decided on something 23ft. is it overkill to buy a cummins diesel to tow it?

thanks

Old 12-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post
OOPS... i made a TYPO up there.... it wont let me change it.

anyway.....
I am wondering about the smaller AS. if i decided on something 23ft. is it overkill to buy a cummins diesel to tow it?

thanks
Your proposed diesel, is more for towing the Queen Mary.

All you need is a 1/2 ton truck, or an equal.

Andy

Old 12-22-2009, 09:45 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
That sounds like a 'Tim Taylor' rig. You could easily tow two 23 footers with a big diesel.

By the way, I corrected the typo in your title box.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
IMHO it would depend on how and where you want to tow the trailer. At a miminum, you would never lack power, but my only concern would be the ride of the 3/4 ton with so little load compared to it's capacity.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Thanks for fixing the typo. LOL

ok so if a diesel is overkill ...... should i still consider a 3/4 ton truck? or would one of those new gas 2010 ford 1/2 tons do the job?

or.... what brand would you recomend if i am not going the
cummins route?

what size engine and rear end would i want?
i have been hearing alot about that allison transmission.

as far as how much towing i will be doing...... maybe i'll move about 4 or 5 times a year. the rest of the time i will be solo. just parked till the weather changes and i have to move on

so not alot of towing but i do want to make sure that i am safely towing when i am.

thanks for your comments
Old 12-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
carson city , Nevada
The Dodge Cummins will tow that trailer like it is not even behind you. You will not need a new truck when you get a bigger and heavier trailer. You will find that the truck, like the trailer, will last a very long time with proper maintenance. Cummins, besides getting excpetional mileage for the power and torque it makes, also has a time to overhaul of 400,000 miles and some have gone way past that even up to one million miles before being taken apart. I would get the megacab for the interior, auto and exhaust brake. Test drive one and it will follow you home from the dealers. They are that nice.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtandem View Post
The Dodge Cummins will tow that trailer like it is not even behind you. You will not need a new truck when you get a bigger and heavier trailer. You will find that the truck, like the trailer, will last a very long time with proper maintenance. Cummins, besides getting excpetional mileage for the power and torque it makes, also has a time to overhaul of 400,000 miles and some have gone way past that even up to one million miles before being taken apart. I would get the megacab for the interior, auto and exhaust brake. Test drive one and it will follow you home from the dealers. They are that nice.

Oh i am certain they are that nice. i LOVE the cummins diesel. but i am thinking about right now and not down the road to a bigger trailer.
if i do decide that i want something bigger i will trade the truck in when i get a bigger trailer. i would rather spend the money on that later than now.

but i dont disagree with you about the diesel. its a wonderful truck.
maybe just not something i need now?
i dont know. maybe not.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Sequatchie , Tennessee
I would be worried about that trucks ride being to harsh for the Airstream. Some members tow Airstreams with much softer suspension vehicles such as Minivans and Sedans with much success, as long as the vehicles are properly equiped for towing. If I were in the market for a Truck I would be taking a serious look at the new Toyota Tundra. But this is just a personal preference. I don't think I would be afraid to tow a 23 ft. airstream with any half ton as long as it is properly equipped.

Thanks!

Jerem0621
Old 12-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I guess the question becomes this: If you're only towing 4-5 times a year, do you really want to drive around a Dodge Ram Cummins Megacab the other (let's say) 330 days of the year?

I've driven a 2007 Dodge crew cab Cummins with the engine brake on a long highway trip. Very nice engine indeed. But to me, that's a hard-to-park, rough-riding, $50k vehicle to be a daily driver.

Tom
Old 12-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
I tow a 19' Bambi with the Cummins and while it is overkill, the towing experience is much more relaxed. I had towed for several years with a 1/2 ton Ford, and while adequate the stopping power and mountain driving capabilities were often taxed. When I purchased the 3/4 ton I had a leaf pulled from each rear spring pack and basically turned the truck into a beefed up 1/2 ton with better braking and more power than I need while achieving fuel numbers that I never approached while driving the Ford empty, and it makes for a pretty tame daily driver.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Any of the 1/2 ton gas trucks made these days "properly equipped" would tow 6000 lbs without trouble.
My preference is the 1/2 ton Ram - go drive one and you will be impressed! - If your not brand loyal go drive them all so you can see which one strikes you the best.
Your thinking about this too much - any of the 1/2 ton trucks would tow a 23' trailer without problems.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #12
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post
Oh i am certain they are that nice. i LOVE the cummins diesel. but i am thinking about right now and not down the road to a bigger trailer.
Annie,

Tow vehicle size is a popular subject on here, and there are (at least) two camps of opposing views when it comes to needed size.

I would say that you are right to not buy a tow vehicle for some trailer you may buy in the future. In fact, once you decide on the trailer that you want, there's a good chance that you may never buy another. For example, I bought my trailer from the son of the man that originally purchased it new in 1974!

It's highly unlikely though, that someone would keep a tow vehicle any where near that long though, isn't it?

As many forum members will tell you, the important thing is to first be very certain you buy the trailer that will keep you happy long term, especially if you plan on buying a new one. The depreciation on a new one would be a killer if you decided a year or two down the line that it just isn't, say, big enough for you.

After you have nailed down the trailer, the TV (tow vehicle) is a much easier decision to make. As has already been pointed out to you, a ˝ ton pickup is plenty for that 23-footer.

My vehicle's weights are very much like today's 23-footers, and I tow it quite comfortably with a 2007 Ford Freestar front-wheel drive van. I put over 4,000 miles on that combination in November, and never felt I needed more.

And I was concerned that while I knew a ˝ ton pickup would tow it well, the other 95% of the time that I wasn't towing, I would be stuck with a pickup truck's ride quality and lack of interior space.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Go big or go home.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #14

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
For a 23 foot Airstream, any of the large 1/2 to pick-ups or SUVs will fill the bill. If you end up hitting the 25 foot mark and need to tow 7500#, you might them want to consider going into the 3/4 ton realm. I would still stick with gas. The US manufacturers all make a 3/4 ton gas pick-up. The only new 3/4 ton SUV that is available is the Suburban/Yukon XL.

If you stay under 8000#, I would go gas. In my opinion, the new diesel engines are way too expensive for what you get, and the new super low sulphur diesel fuels may cause longevity and reliability issues.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote