Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2009, 09:38 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Dang, there's some streets in Virginia City I'm skeered to do with my truck empty, on a dry day! How's those bobsled runs this week?

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:30 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbassador View Post
Depends on the truck. Sometimes you just get a lemon mileage wise.

My gas v8 got 14 on the highway at best. My diesel averages 18, and I've had up to 23 on flat highway.

Additionally, when pulling a load, my gas truck dropped to around 8mpg. My diesel drops to average 16.5.
(Edit: both my gas and diesel trucks compared are/were 2002 model Fords. Both 4x4 with BFG All Terrains)
Seems you answered your own question there, Airbassador. The Diesel particulate filters didn't show up on the scene until late 2007. Before that, Diesels did get significantly better fuel mileage than gas rigs, if driven conservatively.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #43
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Overkill? Yeah, but it's the good kind.

Pat
pmclemore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

i have moved north to VIRGINIA CITY , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr View Post
Even if you really live IN Virginia City the !/2 ton should be OK, if a mite short-winded at the top of the grade. The Cummins could yank that AS over the Rubicon!
YES....i REALLY actually LIVE IN Virgina City. down there on E street.... on the edge of town.... right next to the truck grade. LOL

i was thinkin that i could save some money on my TV by going the gasser route. if i do..... i hope i can make it up that truck grade.
but no worries....i wont buy anything unless i know it can
that certainly wouldnt be good if i couldnt. LOL
AnnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

Hey everyone.... thanks for your comments. i love hearing what you all have to say.
still collecting information here to decide what i want to do.

i wont be doing that much pulling...maybe 4 or 5 times a year when the weather changes and have to go north or south.
but most of the time..... i'll be using it around town. so gas milage is really not THAT important when i am in tow mode. but i would like to get more than 14mph around town on daily driving.... so not sure what to do here.

with a cummins diesel vs a big gas engine..... for daily driving... whats going to get better mileage?
i dont have a lead foot at all....... my style is always easy does it... unless i need the power to pass

thanks again.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:22 PM   #46
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post
[deleted]
with a cummins diesel vs a big gas engine..... for daily driving... whats going to get better mileage?
i dont have a lead foot at all....... my style is always easy does it... unless i need the power to pass

thanks again.
The Gasser. My diesel get about 11-12 in town. 14 when towing the trailer and 18-20 when it's just the truck on the highway.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #47
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

06 3/4 Burb 8.1 (494ci, 340hp, 455ft/lbs) 4:11

12.1 mpg city/hiway
14-15.2 mpg hiway 55-60 mph
11-13 towing hiway 55mph

Note..... these figures mean very little in the total Airstream experience.

IMHO...Comfort, safety, peace of mind, much more important.

Whats the point if the journey 'aint FUN!!!

Annie,

I think you may be stressing a little too much over your decision.
Speaking for GM only, GMC/Chevrolet. (my realm of experience) Any of the late model 6liter, six speed 1500 series trucks would work very well for you.

Get out there and drive 'em all..

Good Luck...
Old 12-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
You only live once, and life is too short. Get something you WANT, and enjoy it. If it costs a little more to operate, so what. I enjoy a stress free towing experience, and lots of power, and numerous other things, so that's the truck I bought.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:52 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
carson city , Nevada
Annie,

I live down the hill from you. You live at 6000 feet, a gasser has lost about one sixth of its sea level power at that altitude, a turbo diesel has lost virtaully none. The Cummins diesels vintage 2005-2006 will get you on the road, level, no wind, no towing almost 20 mpg at a steady 65 mph. The new ones a little less because they are greener/cleaner. Western Nevada is diesel terrority, this is not where gassers thrive, where gassers have resale and where most trucks are 4x4's. To get to your house from Carson City you will need to pull a 12 percent grade, this is diesel torque stuff, from Dayton a very steep several miles long grade, and from Reno a steady long climbing grade. Not Kansas or Sacramento here. When you tow you don't want to fall on your face going up hills.

Buy what you want, you are the one that needs to be happy. Recognize you will not be towing on flat land, that where you live 4x4 diesels are king, and that the cowboys of old said that there is no such thing as too much horse.
jmtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
FYI: We love our 2001 Cummins Quad-cab Dodge diesel. Not quiet, but very comfortable towing (my wife likes to sleep while I'm driving), with no white knuckles.

When I was looking, I realized that I wanted a Ford with Chevy interior and Cummins diesel. But most important to me was the Cummins, only available from Dodge. So I looked and waited then found a used one with everything I wanted.

Seems like everyone talks about whether it (any TV) can make it up a hill. I like having a TV that pulls good, stops well, and can make evasive maneuvers without the "tail wagging the dog". Mileage was good too, with lowest being about 14 towing in the Blue Ridge mountains (I don't want to insult any Coloradans by pretending the Appalachians are the same as the Rockies).

So many people have had no problem towing with whatever vehicle they drive, but I like having the advantage of a heavier, stronger TV. I said a lot in another thread about this: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...tml#post482609.

Good luck and have fun.

Phil

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

Hey JM.... nice to hear from you. yes i am living in virginia city AT THE MOMENT. LOL
BUT..... thats only for now. come the summer i am moving out of my place and into my AS. i wont be living up there anymore.
when i do get my AS... its going to sit in my driveway as its being packed for full timing. when i am done..... i'll get into my truck and drive it back down the mountain. LOL i'll be on my way to somewhere else north.
so... the AS will go up the mountain once and back down when i leave.

i will miss Virgina City but.... there really isnt any place to full time up there.... even though there is an RV park. i dont care too much for that place.

RobertCross..... maybe i am stressing over this too much. maybe i am over thinking all this. LOL its just that i only have just so much money here for both the AS and the TV and i am trying to get what i want and stay in my budget.
thanks for your comments... i am trying to drive them all.

Phil and Sue... thanks for the link i'll check it out. i do love the cummins. i love to sound and the feel. decisions decisions how to balance that with what i have to spend. i'm working on it

and Michelle..... you really need a diesel since you travel so heavy. i think thats so cool. maybe one day i will be doing the same. for now... its gonna be a small AS.

airstream101.... all my life i have been treating myself to what i want. LOL thats why i dont have too much to spend now. but i do agree.... if its something you want...why not get it? YEAH! am trying to do that and still keep some money in the bank.

i guess all of you guys are right in alot of ways. if i was going to be getting a big 31foot.... there would be no question about getting a diesel. but now i am wondering if at this point... i should throw the money into when i really dont need it with a smaller AS.

Merry Christmas everyone.... hope you have a safe day. and speaking of being good to yourself.... make sure you eat something nice for your holiday dinner. LOL
Old 12-25-2009, 07:22 PM   #52
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
All the best to you too, Annie, and may the divine power help you to find the right answer for your needs and wants.

Fair winds and following seas...!

Aage
Old 12-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #53
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The big gas engines on contemporary 1/2 ton trucks should go over any mountain easily. Our Tundra has a 5.7 L V8, 385 HP, 401 ft. lbs. of torque. This truck will tow our trailer up Vail Pass at 65 or faster, but if you want to go that fast, you'll use a lot of gas (it's fun to watch the gauge go down before your eyes just once). It'll run at high RPM's (around 5,000), but it's designed to do that and it won't hurt it.

We live at 6,837' and the Tundra has plenty of power. When not towing it lopes along below 2,000 RPM and gets from 16-16.5 mpg, more if we go slowly. I'm sure it would have better gas mileage at sea level and would blow the doors off a lot of cars should I decide to go drag racing (I've been thinking about challenging someone in a muscle car at a light, but my wife might have a few things to say about that and I wouldn't want to listen to it).

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Ok Gene, let's go for pink slips! Or better yet, let's do Pike's Peak!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02606.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	93048  
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:12 AM   #55
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Dennis, there's a traffic light a mile east of Delta on Hwy. 92 with a couple of miles of straightaway. At this time of year I guarantee I'd get farther up Pike's Peak with my Tundra.

Gene
Old 12-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Gene, last time I was on that divided road heading east, I damn near wet my pants when some farmer pulled out in front of me with an equipment trailer. I don't think either one of us could get up Pike's Peak this time of the year as it is gated! BTW, I have the Reese ad and press release showing the Olds Toro towing a travel trailer with the rear wheels removed. Bet you can't do that with your Tundra!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #57
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Dennis,

If we are going to start breaking laws, might as well pull the gate down. I have a chain. Farmers on tractors are an issue here—play it as it lies. No, I'm keeping my rear wheels.

Gene
Old 12-27-2009, 06:39 PM   #58
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Is Towing 6000 lbs with a diesel overkill?

...you would never know.

Bill
Old 12-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
The big gas engines on contemporary 1/2 ton trucks should go over any mountain easily. I'm sure it would have better gas mileage at sea level and would blow the doors off a lot of cars should I decide to go drag racing (I've been thinking about challenging someone in a muscle car at a light, ).

Gene
Gene has the good info. I quick google search show the Tundra surprisingly quick, with or without a trailer in tow.

Luv that 66 Olds though.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:21 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Is Towing 6000 lbs with a diesel overkill?

No.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote