Old 12-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Leonardtown , Maryland
GMC has a big sale right now on the SIERRA pick-up. The engine will need to be subjective and balance power with cost of operation.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
A Cowboy truth....."You can never have too much a horse, to strong a rope or too big a truck".

Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #17
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post
Oh i am certain they are that nice. i LOVE the cummins diesel. but i am thinking about right now and not down the road to a bigger trailer.
if i do decide that i want something bigger i will trade the truck in when i get a bigger trailer. i would rather spend the money on that later than now.

but i don't disagree with you about the diesel. its a wonderful truck.
maybe just not something i need now?
i dont know. maybe not.
Annie,
The Ford F-250 with a V10 will tow any Airstream trailer. I had a F-250 with a V8. It towed my trailer, not very well. I upgraded a Diesel F-250 when I rolled my old F-250. Towing the AS is now much nicer.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

i have moved north to VIRGINIA CITY , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
I guess the question becomes this: If you're only towing 4-5 times a year, do you really want to drive around a Dodge Ram Cummins Megacab the other (let's say) 330 days of the year?

I've driven a 2007 Dodge crew cab Cummins with the engine brake on a long highway trip. Very nice engine indeed. But to me, that's a hard-to-park, rough-riding, $50k vehicle to be a daily driver.

Tom
Tom? i NEVER said i wanted a crew cab LOL I HATE them. i just want a regular cab... work truck. standard 8ft bed but nothing bigger than that.
i wouldnt have a crew cab if someone gave it to me. LOL

all i was saying is i do like the diesel engine. but it may be too much for just towing 6000 pounds.

thanks for your comment
Old 12-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
Annie,
The Ford F-250 with a V10 will tow any Airstream trailer. I had a F-250 with a V8. It towed my trailer, not very well. I upgraded a Diesel F-250 when I rolled my old F-250. Towing the AS is now much nicer.
Michelle.... i am thinking about smaller now. do i really need a F-250 if i am going to tow a 6000 pound trailer? before i was thinking bigger trailer.
now i have downsized my thinking. 23ft would be plenty for me i think.

just not sure what vehicle i need for it.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
anyway.....
I am wondering about the smaller AS. if i decided on something 23ft. is it overkill to buy a cummins diesel to tow it? thanks
Here is a perspective, food for thought...

For many years we towed our 23' with a 150 HP Mini Van. It worked fine with no handling or mechanical issues. It was a little slow getting up to speed but quicker than many 18 wheelers. Once up to speed it would cruise for hours at the speed limit.

Then we moved up to a 265 HP, 6 cyl sedan. More power than we need but no complaints. Once again after 5 years of towing (200hrs) we have enjoyed fantastic stability and no mechanical issues.

When choosing a TV consider all the options..... your personal preferences, fuel mileage, comforts, stability factors, cargo capacity, solo drives, etc.

Tow with what you prefer. You have many options.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

WOW! thanks everyone for your comments ! i am thinking SMALLER now.
and i am wondering about what would be good to tow. i do know i want a truck as opposed to a van. just not sure what truck so i guess i should look at all of them.

most of the time..... i'll be solo and the 'home' will be parked so i have to consider that as well.

thanks again for your comments.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
I pull a 2006 22' International with a Dodge Mega Cab 1 ton . I love it. I bought the truck for the work I do and I enjoy pulling any trailer with it. The 22' pulls well and I am never lacking for power. If its in the cards you will never regret having more truck IMO

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
ok so if a diesel is overkill ...... should i still consider a 3/4 ton truck? or would one of those new gas 2010 ford 1/2 tons do the job?
Ford seems to think it's new 1/2 ton will do the job.

Ford commercial for the F150..
Old 12-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We tow a 25' FB with an '07 (2nd generation) Tundra. Never have had any problems. The 5.7 L. engine has lots and lots of power. I expect it would tow a 27' just as easily.

I think you'll have to look around quite a bit to find a cab with the extended option. Tundra does have a standard cab with an 8' bed. I know you don't like extended cabs, but the standard cab is uncommon and may be harder to get a good deal on. It has more payload than our DoubleCab. The Tacomas are larger than they used to be—more like the 1st generation Tundras—and might also be an option for a 23'. They get better gas mileage than the Tundras. We buy Toyotas for their reliability—I don't want to fix trucks anymore or even have to bring them to a dealer when under warranty.

The Tundra or any full sized truck can be a pain to park. The sonar option does help a lot, but you can't shrink the truck when you are not towing. The Tacoma is still pretty big, but not quite as big.

Gene
Old 12-22-2009, 01:32 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
san diego , California
why do you want a new diesel? i have a 2004 4x4 dodge with the cummins motor. she gets great milage, will pull any trailer up any grade with ease, and has the tightest turning circle of all the 3/4 trucks (will out turn my dads yukon and nieghbors ford, both 1/2 tons)

bottom line: EVERY1/2 ton on the market will tow your trailer, a very big portion will tow 7500. out of the current selection amd ride quality,

i recomend the 2010 dodge ram 1/2. coil spring rear end for ride quaility when empty, 400lbs of touqe on pump gas (chevy and ford need E85 to come close). she's like a cady with a truck bed
Old 12-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I tow a 23 footer with a diesel ('08 GMC Duramax). Four reasons: 1) lots of torque which is great in mountains and on-ramps, 2) big time brakes, ring gear, etc., and long-lasting engine, which makes for longevity, 3) better fuel mileage and thus range, and 4) I never worry about how much I put in the truck - just pile it in and drive away. I'm quite pleased. BUT there ARE downsides: a) initial cost of the diesel purchase; b) much stiffer ride (esp. when empty or near-so) with 3/4 ton suspension ... and just now you can't get a diesel in 1/2 ton (but soon you will be able to); c) probably poorer mileage in-town (it takes more oomph to get all that mass moving).
Old 12-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #27
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
POI...

Shop all week long but go for your road test on FRI....

They really need to sell rigs right now and will make a good deal, the store I worked at regularly let the vehicle go out over the weekend for an extended RT. It's worth a try.

GOOD LUCK.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:30 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The end of the month is good because they don't want to renew the loan on them.

Gene