Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Bend , Oregon
Is tow vehicle adequate?

I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, rated at 7200 GVW and 720 tongue weight. Am looking at a 2007 Safari SE 25' FB. It is listed at 7300 GVW and 720 tongue weight. This puts me right at the limits of my tow vehicle. With a weight distribution system and proper loading, would this Jeep be adequate for this trailer?

Thank you, Jim
jjroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I too have a 25ft AS. The question you're asking is complex as is the answer. Your Cherokee I'm sure has plenty of power to pull the AS, so the real answer depends on 3 things, weight loading distribution as you mentioned, your driving habits & weight distribution from the hitch, all of these must be spot on for a safe tow. Recently on this forum a member was telling how pleased he was pulling the same size AS with a beefed up Chevy Traverse, personally I shook my head in disbelief but it seems like just about every vehicle on the road has been used at one time or another for towing AS's. In my humble opinion wheel base is very important & smaller vehicles come up was short in that area.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 03:57 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Bend , Oregon
Thanks Joe, I understand the shorter wheelbase on Jeep Grand Cherokee's compared to 1/2 ton trucks. I do have the 5.7 Hemi (360 HP), just concerned about the close weight tolerances.

Jim
Old 10-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #4
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
It sounds like your current vehicle would be a good candidate. Remember that you don't have to load the trailer right up to the maximum GVW, you control that.

Recommend you weigh the trailer, and the combination, to see if the real world weights are similar to the spec sheet.

Also consider how much you want to carry in the tow vehicle, as that will impact your ability to carry the full rated tongue weight.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:16 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Bend , Oregon
Thanks Jeff, I haven't purchased the trailer yet, just doing my homework. Your comments are encouraging. Hate to buy the trailer then have to upgrade to a larger vehicle, costly!

Many thanks, Jim
Old 10-17-2015, 06:23 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Back in the day we towed a 30' SOB thousands of miles with our 1995 Grand Cherokee V8 (318 c.i. 230 hp) and factory tow package. I don't remember the SOB's exact weight but it was close to the Jeep's factory weight rating, too. We used a Reese no-sway WD hitch package. We found it to be a very stable with excellent power. It was even more stable than our previous tow vehicle -- a 1992 full-sized Ford van with factory tow package. Based on this experience, I would not be worried about your set up but would watch your payload and hitch set up as was previously mentioned.
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
As you already know, you are at limits. The Jeep GC Overland 2011 with maximum load configuration is tow capacity 7400# and 1580/1590# payload. Check the hitch rating for at least 1000# capacity. It sounds as if it will work but watch temps and tranny.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:35 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Bend , Oregon
Thanks Rod, the 2011 has the tow package which includes the tranny cooler along with an oil cooler. Good advise, will give it a teat run if agreeable with the seller.

Jim
Old 10-17-2015, 08:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Keep your loads in the Jeep light and loads in the the Airstream light in the front and heavy gear over the axles. The Jeep and Airstream have excellent fully independent suspensions for great handling and stable towing. I am very partial to the Hensley/ProPride hitches for tow vehicles with a shorter wheelbase, takes away any sway or side-wind/semi passing bow wave concerns. We use the Hemi engine, shift the transmission to keep in the best power range climbing grades and engine compression braking descending. Get a good brake controller, adjust it correctly, and don't be afraid to use trailer and vehicle brakes, they work very well together.

Watch your loading and get a top quality hitch setup, use the transmission and brakes as needed. You have an excellent tow vehicle.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:00 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I have towed a simalar trailer with one of the old 4x4 full size Blazer. All was good until i got into the Colorado mountains. The trailer was trying to steer the truck especially going down the steep curvy roads.
Nmengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:01 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Bend , Oregon
Thanks Doug, will check out the equipment you recommended, and appreciate knowing that my Jeep will be able to do the job. The Overland has a towing function (button) that helps with gearing and breaking, I am sure it will be useful.

Best regards,

Jim
Old 10-18-2015, 11:51 AM   #12
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjroderick View Post
... This puts me right at the limits of my tow vehicle. With a weight distribution system and proper loading, would this Jeep be adequate for this trailer?
Are you content with adequate? Do you regularly and generally push up against the limits of safety and reliability? Do you rely upon wishful thinking for your strategic and tactical thinking? Do you factor in the risk to others -- non family, non acquaintances -- using the same road would be, uh...impacted... by your determination as to what is, uh, adequate?

These are the questions you should be asking yourself -- not, how does the Jeep/Chrysler manufacturer rate his own product, but how comfortable are you at pushing up against the safety limits of your own choices, pushing the capacities of your equipment.

Sorry for the blunt talk, but you asked.
Michael
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
These are the questions you should be asking yourself -- not, how does the Jeep/Chrysler manufacturer rate his own product, but how comfortable are you at pushing up against the safety limits of your own choices, pushing the capacities of your equipment.
Yep, good point '55 Airlight. If you don't know jjroderick, you will find out.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:22 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Question Wheelbase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
I too have a 25ft AS. The question you're asking is complex as is the answer. Your Cherokee I'm sure has plenty of power to pull the AS, so the real answer depends on 3 things, weight loading distribution as you mentioned, your driving habits & weight distribution from the hitch, all of these must be spot on for a safe tow. Recently on this forum a member was telling how pleased he was pulling the same size AS with a beefed up Chevy Traverse, personally I shook my head in disbelief but it seems like just about every vehicle on the road has been used at one time or another for towing AS's. In my humble opinion wheel base is very important & smaller vehicles come up was short in that area.
How long should the wheelbase be?

Jer
Oxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 02:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Also check to weight limit on your TV tires.

Something else to consider, the AS you buy will most likely out live multiple TV over the years. So selecting the AS that best meets your needs might be your first consideration.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:52 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Bend , Oregon
Thank you Silverflames, very good points to consider. Had that same discussion with my wife about getting the cart before the horse.

Much appreciated, Jim
Old 10-18-2015, 03:26 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Jim-I think dkottum comes the closest to a perfect answer. All engineering specs are tweaked down to satisfy corporate lawyers. But still, it is at the very least psychologically more comforting to know you're not right at the edge of specs--too many lives at stake for a mistake. The only place where I personally differ was in following the advice of our Airstream dealer when we bought new--although Hensley's are legendarily great, other excellent devices, such as the Equalizr 4-pt that we use, are very good, and weigh A LOT less--right over your tongue.

We have a 28' International, rated at 7300 max that actually weighs out at 6980 when propaned and litely watered for the real world road weight. Our problem is that our actual tongue weight is way higher than advertised, and you definitely need to check this out. Our 3500 Sprinter (the same base upon which AS builds its B-Class) is rated at 11,500 GVW and, fully loaded, we weigh just under 6000, so no issues there, but you need to check out the payload that your Jeep will carry as compared to specs, as that's another easy place to go over. So the key for us, and I suspect for you, will actually be tongue weight--700 ish pounds that you (and 750 for us) that we're rated, is probably going to be well under. We compensated by (a) upgrading our hitch to a 10,000 lb/1,000 tongue weight hitch that has been tested to 140% of rated load and (b) working on lowering our actual tongue weight. We have moved everything that we can aft from the front storage areas, we travel now with only one propane tank filled, and this spring we will replace our 4 AGM's weighing about 280 lbs, most of it over or near the tongue), with 84 lbs of (pricey!) lithiums to save almost 200 lbs. overall and mostly off the tongue. We have already moved the (usually) 10 gallons of bottled water (80 lbs) from under our front "gaucho" to under the front of the rear bed, just behind the axles.

Please weigh the tongue on the 25', preferably with the trailer fully loaded--don't believe the Airstream specs. If you can deal with the tongue weight and your payload is going to be OK, you should be fine. The shorter wheel base is inherently less stable, but with proper wd and antisway and proper adjustment of brake controller and experience and changing it for different conditions, you will offset that while reaping the benefit of the shorter wheels base for tight parking maneuvers.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
Jeep is short wheelbase, but also short overhang (which is helpful). This should be also taken into consideration when talking about stability and comparison with trucks. Your payload is massive in comparison to many German SUV, which are towing even bigger trailers. Just do your homework and you will be fine with your TV.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjroderick View Post
I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, rated at 7200 GVW and 720 tongue weight. Am looking at a 2007 Safari SE 25' FB. It is listed at 7300 GVW and 720 tongue weight. This puts me right at the limits of my tow vehicle. With a weight distribution system and proper loading, would this Jeep be adequate for this trailer?

Thank you, Jim
For what its worth, I tow a 2013 30' International that I never load to full spec. weight of 8,800 LBS the closest I get is about 7,000 LBS and that is with a full tank of water. Mostly I am at 6,500. However the tongue weight doesn't wary a whole lot. With good distribution I do push about 200 LBS back on the trailer.
I am using a Blue Ox WD hitch and I am very pleased with it.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:11 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Bend , Oregon
Gecko, Bono and Frank, thank you very much for your input and advice. I will study it all. Frank, what is your TV for the 30' Int?

Jim