Old 12-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #57
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazoolah View Post
I still haven't seen any costs to cob up a receiver ,wiring,load rated tires, etc. for a car like the bmw ; vs just buying a good used truck /suv with factory tow package .
I agree with the previous post, do a search here. Specifically Crysler 300 (very expensive modifications to car)
The BMW's are not too expensive but, any German add ons are going to be pricey. Hitches, harness etc

Old 12-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazoolah View Post
My point as a rookie like myself ;why reinvent the wheel (or tv) rookies like me and the OP need to learn towing skills ,get comfortable with 1 1/2 tons on your rear end .not engineer a tv from scratch . Most of you guys know the ins and outs of towing an can deal with unique setups. have fun with that ,to each his own. But guys like me and the op need a cushion , and less things to worry about .
This is the exact reason I do not like such experimental recommendations. IMO, when you are making a recommendation to someone (not just TV, but on anything), you should be intentionally conservative, to make sure you are not putting the other party in trouble. You should always consider the possibility that you are wrong, and recommend accordingly.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

The Airstream came with an equalizer hitch system (worth about $900). CanAm said they could install brake controller, Bargman 7-pin plug, breaker & converter on an imported car with non-traditional wiring and relays is $733. Custom-fabricated receiver is $612. So appears a rather cost effective choice versus buying another vehicle. I can't imagine they would quote me an unsafe setup.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #60
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by megster View Post
....... So appears a rather cost effective choice versus buying another vehicle. I can't imagine they would quote me an unsafe setup.
I did some calculations a while ago and calculated the transaction costs involved with trading a vehicle in at a dealership. It was about $5,000. That does not include the added cost of the upgrade to a newer or better vehicle.

So you are correct megster, very cost effective. Plus the fact you would end up with the premium Can Am set up which folks like myself and others are very satisfied with. Considering their 40+ years in business, and 1,000's of satisfied customers, no doubt a good deal.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #61
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
This is the exact reason I do not like such experimental recommendations. IMO, when you are making a recommendation to someone (not just TV, but on anything), you should be intentionally conservative, to make sure you are not putting the other party in trouble. You should always consider the possibility that you are wrong, and recommend accordingly.
In main I agree that "we" should offer advice that is conservative. But it doesn't excuse us from examination of what is best or why.

The focus on "weights" is misplaced. It is but one aspect of setting up a combined rig. The default recommendation of the worst handling & braking vehicle type -- a pickup -- is only good where the operator intends to carry a big payload in the tow vehicle. Not to mention that the OEM and aftermarket hitch receivers are in no way as good as a custom-built one as that is what any of us used in the 1960's & 70's before there was such a thing as a bolt on receiver or factory offering. The standard for an OEM hitch is low, and not always up to what a weight distribution hitch should be able to deliver.

"Experimental" would be an operator learning how to adapt to a tow vehicle that solo or hitched is inferior in every dynamic. CAN AM has set up more than ten thousand combinations. I'd not worry over it a bit.

Be sensible, practice backing and get a great set of towing mirrors.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #62
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
I think the role of handling is being greatly exaggerated in such discussions. We are not talking about auto rally here, but towing. Pulling power, stopping power, and stability all trump handling and a truck or large/midsize SUV easily beats a sedan in those departments.

I suggest the OP does a test tow with a friend's pickup/SUV and compare it with his/her sedan, as I doubt this discussion will get anywhere.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Lincoln City , Oregon
TV 1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser / 1958 FC

TV 1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser / 1958 FC
Works for us!
Dick Deam
Old 12-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #64
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
I think the role of handling is being greatly exaggerated in such discussions. We are not talking about auto rally here, but towing. Pulling power, stopping power, and stability all trump handling and a truck or large/midsize SUV easily beats a sedan in those departments.

I suggest the OP does a test tow with a friend's pickup/SUV and compare it with his/her sedan, as I doubt this discussion will get anywhere.
This is what many don't understand. Generally speaking the performance sedans out perform the other vehicles you spoke off. Review Andrew T's posts and performance tests. The data and info is out there.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:08 AM   #65
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
A lot depends upon what type of camping and driving you do.

A sedan would truly limit our preferred type of camping. We like to go to semi-wild places, drop the trailer in the campsite, and then take off for a day's outing. Generally our destinations require some driving on rough dirt roads. We usually need a high-clearance vehicle, preferably 4WD. (For example, getting to Kintla and Bowman Lakes at Glacier NP, or exploring the San Rafael Swell in Utah.)

If people wouldn't normally go off the pavement, then a sedan should work just as well.

We normally drive in mountainous terrain, including over major mountain passes. If someone's sedan has enough power to tow a loaded trailer over a high pass without creeping along at 20 mph in the right-hand land behind the semis, and are happy doing it, they don't need a big truck. Ditto if they never leave the flat lands.

If folks are happy campers without bringing gear that wouldn't fit into the sedan trunk or trailer, then they probably don't need a truck. Probably they don't boondock so they're OK without a generator, gas can, extra jerry can of water, paddling gear, backpacks, &c.

But this conversation does make one wonder why auto manufacturers post towing limits and GVWRs to begin with if they are so pointless.

We just traded up from a V6 Tacoma to a V8 Tundra, and are really happy with the way it handles towing our newer, heavier trailer. We don't seem to be losing much gas mileage on the highway, maybe because the engine isn't working so hard.

Ah, well. To each their own.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #66
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
If someone's sedan has enough power to tow a loaded trailer over a high pass without creeping along at 20 mph in the right-hand land behind the semis, and are happy doing it, they don't need a big truck. Ditto if they never leave the flat lands.

We just traded up from a V6 Tacoma to a V8 Tundra, and are really happy with the way it handles towing our newer, heavier trailer.
creeping along at 20 mph????

Just because one tows with a sedan why assume they would be creeping along at 20MPH? Our 11 year old sedan has a modest 260HP V6 and our rig towing the 23' weighs 9,200lbs ready for travel.

Your new Toyota Tundra 380HP V8 towing your 19" rft weighs 13,500 lbs.

Our car equates to 35.6 LBS/1 HP and your Tundra works out to 35.5 LBS/1 HP. Bottom line, the cars are going to pull just as strong as most trucks.

PS... you are right about off roading with the cars. They don't work as well as the high clearance vehicles.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #67
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
RoadRuler,

Suppose a BMW 3 series (or any sedan of your preference) and a Ram 2500 pull the exact 8000# trailer using the exact top of the line hitch up and down a long grade. In your opinion, which would pull/stop better and is more stable up and down the grade?
Old 12-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
I agree with the previous post, do a search here. Specifically Crysler 300 (very expensive modifications to car)
The BMW's are not too expensive but, any German add ons are going to be pricey. Hitches, harness etc

A strange turn on this thread. 2k in towing setup to multipurpose a 10-15k used V6 sedan for a 60k trailer is "very expensive", but BMWs are "not too expensive".

some USED BMWs aren't "expensive" because the owners got tired of seeing "Gunter" at the service department, and of feeding them pricey german parts and walk away from 40k in depreciation after 3 years.

Either way you're going to pay up. Buying a 50kSUV or a 60k+ heavy duty diesel truck to drive to the supermarket 90% of the time isn't great value either. Does anyone have a rule of thumb as to what % of the time their chosen TV spends driving highway/city and standalone/towing ? I'm using 50/50 and 66/33 respectively as my guesstimates.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
I'd like to see the video of the airstreamers hard core "offroading". Preferably having just given the clearcoat a nice wash/shine.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #70
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
You're right but, I meant to say the BMWs hitch modifications may not be as expensive as the sedans hitch modifications. I hope that reads clearer.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums