Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #141
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
I would like to thank you folks for all of the good information. Yes there may have been a departure from the original question, but I learned things that I would never have been exposed to if you all had not freely shared your knowledge of the mechanics of limited slip and locking differentials. The last two trucks that I have purchased (2011 & 2012) Ford F-250's) have had electronic locking I suppose; just pull knob on the dash, but I really understand more of what is going on now. Thanks again for all of the good free information. This is one thing I like about ASF.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #142

Boca Raton , Florida
Is it ok to pull an airstream with a Ford club van extended model? What do you suggest? What engine size? I´m looking at a 1998 Ford club van. Only 72000 miles on it.
Timbrazuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #143
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The problem with the Ford and Dodge EXTENDED vans is they just tacked on extra length BEHIND THE REAR AXLE, which extends the rear overhang. Not a good thing to do for towing....and in fact the 15 passenger van scare a few years ago was primarily due to this methodology. It would not be my choice for a TV. However the regular length Ford, Dodge are OK. Both lengths in GM are OK as they extended the WHEELBASE and kept the overhang the same length on all models.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #144
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
And of course, vans are 2wd, unless you find one of the very few that have aftermarket 4wd conversions.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #145
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Think! Think! Think!

One useful result of this thread is that it helped me learn more about our truck - and although most of you folks using the Duramax already know this, I've just learned that our new-to-us Duramax came equipped with an Eaton G80 locker. Sheesh! It's pretty obvious in hindsight. Check the glove box codes & know what they mean. I sure didn't know that.

As usually develops in an open forum there have been numerous thoughtful opinions expressed. Among them, "2WD = 1WD; 4WD = 2WD," etc. The value of the open conversation is that it helped me think through what I might do again - recognizing as was noted previously, there are scenarios that can trap just about any type of drive - I'll add, "Including tracked vehicles."

1) if we replace our current TV maybe a brutally efficient 2WD tow vehicle with a differential locker would be a good choice. This time we would know why we are doing it.

2) if we were stuck again I think I would use Paula's "orange lego" technique anyway. Either 2WD, locked or not, or 4WD has the potential to pepper the front of the trailer with shrapnel. "Let's not do that."

3) if we weren't towing perhaps the locker could be useful. Using forethought to stay in the "98% of the time I don't need it" is more attractive. If we inadvertently encounter a little slip 'n slide we now know our equipment better.

4) Ah! the unexpected. With leaves, etc., perhaps it's possible for us to carefully drive out.

Here is a link that was helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=f31WBscnFh0&NR=1

This shows why the locker may work but the 100rpm differential between wheels can put some yuck! behind the truck.

5) and Thanks! to all for a stimulating exchange.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
And of course, vans are 2wd, unless you find one of the very few that have aftermarket 4wd conversions.

GM does produce an AWD 1500 G van (Express and Savanna), but a 1500 really isn't suitable for anything larger than a 22"er.....Or older lighter ASes of somewhat longer length.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4wd