Old 01-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
There is a differential called a Torsen that works better than a solid axel and does not have the locking and unlocking problems.

Torsen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HowStuffWorks "Locking and Torsen"

Perry

Old 01-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yup, been around for a very long time. Expensive and I don't think any OEM uses it. But it is a great final drive for hard off road use and racing. I'd bet you find a lot of them on the chase trucks at Baja.

Edit: I should clarify. OEM truck mfr.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
There is a differential called a Torsen that works better than a solid axel and does not have the locking and unlocking problems.

Torsen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HowStuffWorks "Locking and Torsen"

Perry
One thing wrong with the second link.....the Eaton is also a purely mechanical locker. Very different mechanicals than the Torsen, but has no pneumatics nor electronics either.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #74
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
  • Locking differentials (or diff locks) are the only cure for the shortcoming of differentials sometimes sending torque to the "wrong" wheel. Diff locks disable the differential's ability to distribute torque equally and its ability to allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds. In some ways a diff lock is the ultimate traction device. Since, all wheels rotate at the same speed when engaged, a vehicle with locks on all axles has traction if just one wheel does.
  • By disabling (or locking) the differential, steering becomes very difficult and the wheel with the most traction will get the most torque, as much as 100%. This guarantees that any wheel with traction will receive enough torque to move the car. In sum, diff locks will keep you going and keep you from getting stuck.
  • Locking (disabling) the differential makes it impossible for wheels to roll at different speeds. Therefore, with lockers engaged, on high traction surfaces it becomes very difficult to make turns, and on low traction surfaces the turning radius gets very wide. You will experience wheel hop and binding.
  • Unfortunately a diff' lock is on or off; there is no in-between. This can make the vehicle understeer (tend to go straight ahead in corners) or veer suddenly sideways if one side looses traction, like on ice.

My truck has a front differential, so why does it buck when turning in 4WD on a dry surface?

It's a Dodge, but if I remember correctly other non full time 4WD Vehicles I have owned did the same thing.

Ken
Old 01-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
My truck has a front differential, so why does it buck when turning in 4WD on a dry surface?

It's a Dodge, but if I remember correctly other non full time 4WD Vehicles I have owned did the same thing.

Ken
Because a 4wd has no "compensating device" in the transfer case. The front wheels turn a larger arc that the rears in a turn, and thus cover a longer distance. When that happens you get driveshaft wind up, and a "crows hopping". AWDs, on the other hand have a clutch pack, viscous coupling or Torsen in the transfer case and do not "crows hop". Thus my AWD comments above.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #76
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post

Ken
Thats why they tell you not to use 4WD on dry surfaces.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #77
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I have a 2wd 1 ton with a standard dif and duals and it will get stuck on a turd..
Old 01-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
TLocking differentials (or diff locks) are the only cure for the shortcoming of differentials sometimes sending torque to the "wrong" wheel. Diff locks disable the differential's ability to distribute torque equally and its ability to allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds. In some ways a diff lock is the ultimate traction device. Since, all wheels rotate at the same speed when engaged, a vehicle with locks on all axles has traction if just one wheel does.
  • By disabling (or locking) the differential, steering becomes very difficult and the wheel with the most traction will get the most torque, as much as 100%. This guarantees that any wheel with traction will receive enough torque to move the car. In sum, diff locks will keep you going and keep you from getting stuck.
  • Locking (disabling) the differential makes it impossible for wheels to roll at different speeds. Therefore, with lockers engaged, on high traction surfaces it becomes very difficult to make turns, and on low traction surfaces the turning radius gets very wide. You will experience wheel hop and binding.
  • Unfortunately a diff' lock is on or off; there is no in-between. This can make the vehicle understeer (tend to go straight ahead in corners) or veer suddenly sideways if one side looses traction, like on ice.
There is another type of locking differential that has not been mentioned. That is the ARB locking differential. It uses air to lock the diff solid and can be turnrd on or off with the touch of a switch. It has it's own air compressor to supply the needed air for application. It automatically reverts to an open diff if the air is lost due to a broken line or compressor. It can be installed on the rear axle only, or both front and rear. If it is on both front and rear, they are each activated by their own switch and either one can be used seperately.

Ther is only one bad thing about this system. It is expensive!! I guess it is the Airstream of locking differentials.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshelf View Post
There is another type of locking differential that has not been mentioned. That is the ARB locking differential. It uses air to lock the diff solid and can be turnrd on or off with the touch of a switch. It has it's own air compressor to supply the needed air for application. It automatically reverts to an open diff if the air is lost due to a broken line or compressor. It can be installed on the rear axle only, or both front and rear. If it is on both front and rear, they are each activated by their own switch and either one can be used seperately.

Ther is only one bad thing about this system. It is expensive!! I guess it is the Airstream of locking differentials.
Yeah, my Tracker (Suzuki) has this type of system to engage the hubs (at the diff). POS, IMO. I have spent more on that system than on the rest of the vehicle combined (maintenance included....maybe).

Give me mechanical powertrain engagement for true durability!!! (I still prefer getting out and locking the hubs!!!!)

Old 01-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #80

Quote:

There is only one bad thing about this system. It is expensive!! I guess it is the Airstream of locking differentials.
That may not be a fair comparison. First it has to be determined whether or not it leaks.

Ken
Old 01-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Yeah, my Tracker (Suzuki) has this type of system to engage the hubs (at the diff). POS, IMO. I have spent more on that system than on the rest of the vehicle combined (maintenance included....maybe).

Give me mechanical powertrain engagement for true durability!!! (I still prefer getting out and locking the hubs!!!!)
The ARB system does not lock the hubs. It locks the differential making it a true spool. You either have to use solid hubs or maually locking hubs. I have seen this system used in severe off-road applications and it is bullet proof.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
The ARB system does not lock the hubs. It locks the differential making it a true spool. You either have to use solid hubs or maually locking hubs. I have seen this system used in severe off-road applications and it is bullet proof.
I understand. What I am saying is, add on a compressor, air lines, electricals to run the compressor and a switch.... a lot to go wrong. I get that the robustness is a function of the engineering, materials and cost, but, I am not sold on the complexity over a simple well designed mechanical system.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
When we bought our TV my wife insisted that we get 4X4. I am glad she did. It has been necessary many times while pulling different TT's we have owned.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #84

I got 4WD because I'm not very tall and it allows me to look down on everyone.
However, it has helped several times when towing. It is particularly helpful when backing up a gravel incline.

Ken

Tags
4wd