Old 12-15-2016, 11:02 PM   #1
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Intentional Over Weight

I want a 25 AS for my birthday (March). However, this would also mean I need a new truck.

I currently have a 2012 Chevy Traverse with a tow package of 5200lbs.

Dry weight on an AS 25 is 5600lbs. Assume with "stuff" and the family I end up at 7000lbs

The wife "may" let me get the AS25 for my birthday, but there is NO way she will let me get a new truck too.

Ok, so IF the wife does get me the AS25, -THIS IS GOING TO BE A COMPLEX QUESTION TO ANSWER - but I am looking for a yes or no answer.

Knowing I am over the weight capacity of the TV, here are my questions (yes or no answer please)

1. Is it safe?
2. Using it to tow roughly eight times a year, on a relatively flat travel route and destination, diligently following the scheduled maintenance on the TV, will it last three more years?
3. Would you do it?

Additional comments here... let the bashing begin. (I know this forum too well), but if you do bash, you have to equally say something good too. Hey it's the holidays.

"Sweat is your fat crying"
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:19 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
I'm not an expert by any means nor am I wanting to sound negative. I have towed tens of thousands of miles with our Airstreams. That being said my concern would be the breaking ability of your current vehicle,transmission capability to cool, and overall wear and tear in vehicle. I would feel more comfortable having more capacity than needed just for my own peace of mind. Suggestions why not consider purchasing an older vehicle to tow with? Your TV doesn't need to be brand new to be able
to tow. Or maybe consider a smaller / lighter model? Good luck in your new adventures.

NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
You asked for yes or no answers to your 3 questions.

1. No
2. No
3. No

You expected bashing, but none intended here - just honest answers to your questions from one guy's perspective.

You wanted something nice to be said. I thought alternative suggestions might be nice so here are a few of mine:

If you were considering a brand new 25, you could, for the same price, consider used in both trailer and tow vehicle.

Another alternative would be a smaller AS or a different/lighter brand of trailer.

Another alternative is to sell your current truck and other possessions you can do without to fund a more capable tow vehicle for your desired trailer.

Another alternative (which I have to admit I don't understand well enough to know whether I would recommend it) is to contact CanAm. They have a reputation for setting up hitches that seem to defy manufacturers specs and yet apparently work for reasons I don't understand and wouldn't try myself.

Hopefully some/all of these alternatives give you good food for thought - just because I would or wouldn't do something shouldn't prevent you from exploring and making your own well informed decision. Happy, safe camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York

Really?

You post that you intend -- intentionally -- to tow over the weight limit of the tow vehicle, and then characterize possible negative comments as "bashing" -- plus a request for positive comments?

From your own signature:

"No job is so simple that it cannot be done wrong."
"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."
"Either I will find a way, or I will make one."

You can't make this stuff up!

PS -- The Out of Control Sway thread for everyone's information:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ay-152451.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:55 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
my , house
Cazual-

Have a 25fb -- 6300# loaded to camp with empty tanks. TV has 9200# towing\w 1740# payload. Nowhere near towing capacity, but I am always having watch my payload with the 975# tongue weight.
bwpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
I want a 25 AS for my birthday (March). However, this would also mean I need a new truck.

Dry weight on an AS 25 is 5600lbs. Assume with "stuff" and the family I end up at 7000lbs

The wife "may" let me get the AS25 for my birthday, but there is NO way she will let me get a new truck too.

Ok, so IF the wife does get me the AS25, -THIS IS GOING TO BE A COMPLEX QUESTION TO ANSWER - but I am looking for a yes or no answer.

Knowing I am over the weight capacity of the TV, here are my questions (yes or no answer please)

1. Is it safe?
2. Using it to tow roughly eight times a year, on a relatively flat travel route and destination, diligently following the scheduled maintenance on the TV, will it last three more years?
3. Would you do it?

Additional comments here... let the bashing begin. (I know this forum too well), but if you do bash, you have to equally say something good too. Hey it's the holidays.
I just have to say, cazual6...the out of control sway thread was started by you, and many were aghast, as I recall, at what you seemed determined to do there.

Why...risk...it?

I suspect there would be serious insurance issues...both in getting proper insurance, and in liability issues were you to have an accident, towing as you suggest.

You would also have loved ones with you, others with loved ones would be impacted by any accident you might cause.

This seems a non-issue to me...nonsensical even to propose, much less to do.

Wait until you can do it right.

If you want folks to tell you no...don't do it.

Maggie
Old 12-16-2016, 06:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
1. No.
2. No.
3. No.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:31 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
"NEW" vs. Used

1. NO
2. NO
3. NO

Braking and structural capability is an issue. If you can't buy both "NEW," buy a year or two used Airstream that someone thought they needed and decided they did not use it like they thought they would. They are out there, and you are not hit with the depreciation.

Next, but a nice old used Truck or Suburban and use it your eight times a year until you can afford to buy a new one as your full time around town and Tow vehicle.

"NEW" is not always better.

Regards,
StevieB
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Just rent a truck for vacation. Or, buy the wife a truck for her birthday!
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:03 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
1. No. Exceeding the vehicle payload ratings is never "safe." You will probably not have an issue, but that's what everyone says till their trailer jerks them through the safety railing and off a cliff.
2. No. Going over the payload is going to place stress on all of the mechanicals and tires.
3. No. I wouldn't do it.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
1. NO
2. NO
3. Absolutely NO!

My suggestion is to buy a used TV. Say a clean 8 year old Tundra. Or if you must have an SUV, trade in the Traverse for a Sequoia with 5.7 liter V8 and tow package.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Just rent a truck for vacation. Or, buy the wife a truck for her birthday!
Now that's a great idea!

Maggie
Old 12-16-2016, 07:38 AM   #13
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Guidelines vs. Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
Outside the 'guideline', but not outside the law in many jurisdictions as long as the the Gross Axle Rating (GAWR) or the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) are not exceed on either the tow vehicle or the trailer. (Check the law in your jurisdiction.)

Within the AS GVWR - within the law
Please see some comments in red, above.

The 25 foot AS has tandem axles with four brakes. With a properly installed and set brake controller, you will notice better braking performance compared with your Bambi (even if the Bambi is a lower GVWR). It is a common misconception that a large truck = better braking. If one relies on the tow vehicle to stop the rig then the trailer brakes are not set up or functioning properly.

At a minimum a properly installed Class IV hitch will be required. If your tow package does not have that then you may need to have a custom hitch fabricated.

With the increased tongue weight of the AS 25 (vs. your Bambi), and the passengers and equipment you put into your tow vehicle, you may be outside the GVWR or the GAWR of your tow vehicle. However, a properly set weight distribution system would help in transferring some of the weight from the rear axle to the front axle of the tow vehicle to keep you within the GAWR. It may also be able to transfer some of the hitch weight back to the trailer axles to keep the tow vehicle within the GVWR.

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:57 AM   #14
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
During the infamous "sway" thread days, I wondered if you were just messing with us. These wonderings have come back with this one. It should be clear to a reasonable person that the answer to each of your questions is "no." A better question might be why push the envelope of safety and experience in the interest of economy?

I believe you rightly "know" this forum.... people who know what they are talking about will tell you the truth.

Since you have apparently established "rules" for this thread by requiring a good comment if negative comments are posted. OK, how's this: Merry Christmas!

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote