Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2007, 01:54 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
A few more shots of our in-bed auxiliary tank, sans Chrstmas tree lights etc. This is a 50 gallon auxiliary tank, so combined is 80 gallons. The dashboard display shows the fuel status for both the standard and auxiliary tanks. As the standard tank gets lower in fuel, the auxiliary tank pumps into the standard tank - all automatically, no operator involvement.

There are two fill spots - the normal fill on the vehicle, and the fill into the auxiliary tank itself. When I pull in to refuel, I usually utilize both. Very easy to refuel, although I do need to roll up the tonneau cover.

One of my goals was to make sure whatever was installed fit below the tonneau cover, which as you can see this does. Some of the larger auxiliary tanks may not allow this due to higher fill caps - or just general size.

Has worked great so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5351 (Small).JPG
Views:	119
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	51674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5349 (Small).JPG
Views:	128
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	51675  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5350 (Small).JPG
Views:	119
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	51676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5352 (Small).JPG
Views:	118
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	51677  

2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:26 AM   #22
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Thumbs up Auxiliary tanks great . . . how to transfer to new diesel truck?

We installed a 100 gallon auxiliary tank in our Chevy 2500 7.4L "gasser" 4 years ago. It had several advantages as mentioned in this thread (take advantage of prices, less stress pulling a 57' long rig into an unknown gas station, added stability in the rear). It was a custom fabrication - we had a solenoid in the cab that we used to draw fuel from either the main tank or the auxilary tank.

Now that we have a '96 34' Limited, we found that the gas mileage and power of the truck just wasn't cutting it. (we tow between 60-65 mph & were getting 5.5 to 7.5 mpg and we installed all the "helpers" such as Banks, Aquatune, etc.)

We found a good deal on a 2006 F350 with 18K miles on it - so we're going the diesel route. We would like to remove the 100 gallon tank from the 2500 and install it in the "new" diesel truck. The tank has a 1/4" fuel draw and standard fuel filler.

My questions are, once I remove all gas & clean out the tank, and re-install the tank in the new truck:
1) which is better, to setup a fuel transfer to supply the regular truck tank with diesel or setup a switch device so as to run the engine from either tank?
2) if I setup the fuel transfer option should the fuel transfer be automatic or manually controlled.
3) will the 1/4" feed that the tank currently has be sufficient to do a 12Volt transfer system.

Got any ideas??

whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:29 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
i carry a spare red 5 gallon gas container and fill it with e85, strap it behind the propane tanks over the battery cover. it has been stolen 2 times. It warms my heart they just put 85% corn fuel in something not set up for it. SWEET REVENGE BABY!!!
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #24
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
As I mentioned earlier, I like this idea, but the price for the 50G tank is Right at $2K . Can someone explain why a tank and pump cost so much?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Cheap alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
As I mentioned earlier, I like this idea, but the price for the 50G tank is Right at $2K . Can someone explain why a tank and pump cost so much?
A good reason to go the 5 gallon gas can route—about $25/can, you don't carry all that weight around for regular driving, and the newer no-drip cans don't have any odor and don't leak or splash when you pour. I've carried one in the cab and there's absolutely no smell of gas. It's not automatic, but a fraction of the cost.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:06 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
"Fuel" for thought...

We installed an in bed auxiliary fuel tank in our '00 F350 CC SWB PSD a few years ago. It was custom made by Dually Depot - 5th Wheel Hitch, Auxiliary Fuel Tank, Spray On Bed Liners, Custom Exhaust System and uses a switch in the cab to change from the main tank to the aux tank. They also ran a filler cap through my topper shell so I can fill the aux tank from the same side as my existing gas cap. (I'll post pics if you want). Also installed a large filter for that tank.

It is coated with Rhino-lining to match the bed of the truck.

The gas gauge reads correctly for the tank but the 'miles to empty' on the computer is off by a factor of 45/30, the ratio of the aux tank/main tank capacity.

It's been a good investment. The 75 gallons is enough to make it across some/most of the midwestern states and give you options to fuel where it costs less.
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:50 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob
A few more shots of our in-bed auxiliary tank, sans Chrstmas tree lights etc. This is a 50 gallon auxiliary tank, so combined is 80 gallons. The dashboard display shows the fuel status for both the standard and auxiliary tanks. As the standard tank gets lower in fuel, the auxiliary tank pumps into the standard tank - all automatically, no operator involvement.

There are two fill spots - the normal fill on the vehicle, and the fill into the auxiliary tank itself. When I pull in to refuel, I usually utilize both. Very easy to refuel, although I do need to roll up the tonneau cover.

One of my goals was to make sure whatever was installed fit below the tonneau cover, which as you can see this does. Some of the larger auxiliary tanks may not allow this due to higher fill caps - or just general size.

Has worked great so far.
Hey Brad, good pics. I have a 2006 F250 PSD Crew Cab 4x4. I have a Rhino Lining and the same roll-up soft top that you appear to have. Question, What does installing and subsequently tying the new 50 gallon tank into your current fuel system do to your brand new truck's warranty? I have been "gun shy" about doing anything cause I heard if you monkey around with the fuel system you voided the warranty. I know Transfer Flow has a combo tool-fuel tank (~30gallons?) that comes with a gas station type nozzle that fits in the bed and you could refuel your pickup like you were at a fueling station. That would actually work for me I think cause then I could lug my diesel generator with me (with its own fuel supply just a few feet away).
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Nope, didn't mean it cost me $66 worth of propane to save $35 worth of diesel. I should have said my cost per mile went down to the point that I saved $35 had I run straight diesel fuel with no propane. (Not like the folks who gamble in Vegas and say they won $1500, but neglect to tell you they gambled away $2000!)

By using fumigation instead of INJECTION, you have a really safe system. The propane is sucked into the intake by the turbocharger. It is not forced in under pressure. Well, it is after it goes through the turbocharger.

I notice a little bit of power increase, but I have a light foot and use the propane as an alternative fuel, not as a power enhancer.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Pick--There are valid scientific explanations to support your point. I've forgotten way too much from my chemistry and thermodynamics days, but basically mixing hydrocarbons of lighter chain and greater volatility with the diesel can enhance it's combustion characteristics....up to a point and THAT is really the key. Past that point, things start to destruct within the engine. Especially if there's pre-detonation.

TINSTAAFL so I'd keep a close eye on your injectors, cylinder walls, pistons, etc for deleterious effects.

I respect Gale Banks' authority in the realm of high-performance engine modification. Here's what he had to say from an FAQ on his website:
Is propane injection good for making power in a diesel?
Propane is a quick way to make horsepower, but we have not seen a system on the market that we are satisfied with. Most are somewhat crude in their design and use old carbureted forklift technology (forklifts are usually powered by propane.) During testing with one propane system, we experienced detonation on a diesel. While detonation is never good, detonation on a diesel is frightening! Be very careful about the promises that propane systems may offer.

Can propane be used on a non-turbocharged diesel?
The addition of propane to any diesel engine, whether turbocharged or normally-aspirated, introduces more fuel to engine, without additional airflow. Although it can be done, there is the constant danger of developing excessive exhaust gas temperatures, thus the possibility of engine damage.
It is for this very reason that Banks addresses airflow. Airflow is critical in the SAFE addition of fuel to a diesel engine, regardless of what that fuel is. For normally-aspirated diesels, the Sidewinder turbo is an excellent way to gain airflow and performance. Some people opt for the lower cost of a propane injection system as an inexpensive way to increase horsepower, but the real cost may be down the road when engine damage occurs.

Does Banks offer a propane injection system?
We've followed the interest in propane-injection systems for diesel engines, and tested several to see if they are a valid way of safely increasing horsepower. We uncovered a number of serious safety issues:

Propane injection is nothing more than a way to add more fuel to the diesel engine. Without additional airflow, that additional fuel delivery can produce excessive exhaust-gas temperatures that harm internal engine components.
When propane is injected into the intake tract, it actually displaces some air, further increasing the risk of excessive exhaust-gas temperatures.
Too much propane can cause detonation, which is very damaging to internal engine components.
Propane is commonly injected into the intake prior to the turbocharger. This means that propane is present in the pressurized intake air, introducing a volatile fuel in an air-stream that would not normally contain fuel of any sort. Turbo-diesel engines occasionally develop intake boost leaks, and when propane is present, a boost leak could result in the presence of propane in a heated under-hood environment. This is a great safety risk.
Before Banks ever sells a propane-injection system for diesels, these issues would have to be resolved in the course of our product development.
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote