Old 12-16-2007, 07:20 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
don't know if anyone is interested but Canamrv in London, Ontario have a replacement Transferflow tank in their showroom. Been there for years, was hoping it would fit my 04 Duramax but unfortunately it's for the 04.5 and up LLY.

If anyone is interested I know they want to get rid of it, just email Kirk at canamrv.ca

Old 12-16-2007, 08:23 AM   #16
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR
Hi JIm...just curious what capacity "replacement" tanks can you get? I assume you mean they go under the truck where the original is?

Thanks...Tom R
The tanks go where the original tanks were. If I want to, I can get a 30 gallon front tank to replace the 18 gallon OEM unit, and a 50 gallon to replace the factory 19 in the rear. I would lose my spare tire mount, though.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
I have a propane fumigation system on my Duramax, which is fed by a 33 gallon RV style tank in the bed of the truck. At current diesel prices, I save about $35 in diesel per tank of propane, IF I can get it for $2 a gallon. I have been getting it for that at Flying J truckstops here in Florida and GA. I get about 800 miles per tank of propane.
Pick:

Tell us more about that "propane fumigation system!" Does it enhance the mileage on diesel - or is it a stand-alone fuel alternative? Is there any risk to the Duramax - or warranty threat? This is the first time I've heard about using propane with diesel.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #18
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Propane injection on a diesel is roughly analogous to nitrous oxide in a gasoline engine.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:31 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington
Hummm?

So by your numbers, you save $35 of diesel per 800 miles,
and it only cost you $66 of propane to do it?

Propane is used on diesel motors to get more/more power for short periods of time.
There is no "free" or cheap in a propane injection system.
You can get 20-30% more power, but you risk meltdown.
(turbo, automatic transmission, transfercase)
More power means more heat. Is your truck ready for 30% more instant heat?

The petroleum industry figured out the cost benefit ratio a few years ago.
You usually pay the same dollar per BTU(heat content) regardless of fuel type.
And the money still moves from your pocket to the flying-J pocket to travel down that superslab.

Paying less than market price any type of go-go juice is still cool.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
We went the 50 gallon Transfer Flow route. Terrific. Considered replacing the existing 30 gallon tank, but the replacement was 45 gallons - not a huge difference, and for the money was not as attractive as the auxiliary in-bed tank. So combined, we have 80 gallons.

Pictures aren't great, but here are a couple of shots. The beauty of the 50 gallon mdel is it fits under a tonneau cover - something I wanted. There is a combined tank gauge and the auxiliary tank fills the standard tank automatically. Pretty cool beans. I didn't want to lose the bed space, but something had to give - a 30 gallon tank just meant re-fueling way more often than I wanted, even though we still stop to stretch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5322 (Small).JPG
Views:	63
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	50984   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5323 (Small).JPG
Views:	51
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	50985  

2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:54 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
A few more shots of our in-bed auxiliary tank, sans Chrstmas tree lights etc. This is a 50 gallon auxiliary tank, so combined is 80 gallons. The dashboard display shows the fuel status for both the standard and auxiliary tanks. As the standard tank gets lower in fuel, the auxiliary tank pumps into the standard tank - all automatically, no operator involvement.

There are two fill spots - the normal fill on the vehicle, and the fill into the auxiliary tank itself. When I pull in to refuel, I usually utilize both. Very easy to refuel, although I do need to roll up the tonneau cover.

One of my goals was to make sure whatever was installed fit below the tonneau cover, which as you can see this does. Some of the larger auxiliary tanks may not allow this due to higher fill caps - or just general size.

Has worked great so far.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5351 (Small).JPG
Views:	63
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	51674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5349 (Small).JPG
Views:	56
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	51675  

Name:	IMG_5350 (Small).JPG
Views:	62
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	51676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5352 (Small).JPG
Views:	59
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	51677  

2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:26 AM   #22
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Thumbs up Auxiliary tanks great . . . how to transfer to new diesel truck?

We installed a 100 gallon auxiliary tank in our Chevy 2500 7.4L "gasser" 4 years ago. It had several advantages as mentioned in this thread (take advantage of prices, less stress pulling a 57' long rig into an unknown gas station, added stability in the rear). It was a custom fabrication - we had a solenoid in the cab that we used to draw fuel from either the main tank or the auxilary tank.

Now that we have a '96 34' Limited, we found that the gas mileage and power of the truck just wasn't cutting it. (we tow between 60-65 mph & were getting 5.5 to 7.5 mpg and we installed all the "helpers" such as Banks, Aquatune, etc.)

We found a good deal on a 2006 F350 with 18K miles on it - so we're going the diesel route. We would like to remove the 100 gallon tank from the 2500 and install it in the "new" diesel truck. The tank has a 1/4" fuel draw and standard fuel filler.

My questions are, once I remove all gas & clean out the tank, and re-install the tank in the new truck:
1) which is better, to setup a fuel transfer to supply the regular truck tank with diesel or setup a switch device so as to run the engine from either tank?
2) if I setup the fuel transfer option should the fuel transfer be automatic or manually controlled.
3) will the 1/4" feed that the tank currently has be sufficient to do a 12Volt transfer system.

Got any ideas??

Old 01-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
i carry a spare red 5 gallon gas container and fill it with e85, strap it behind the propane tanks over the battery cover. it has been stolen 2 times. It warms my heart they just put 85% corn fuel in something not set up for it. SWEET REVENGE BABY!!!
Old 01-08-2008, 02:36 PM   #24
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
As I mentioned earlier, I like this idea, but the price for the 50G tank is Right at $2K . Can someone explain why a tank and pump cost so much?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Cheap alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
As I mentioned earlier, I like this idea, but the price for the 50G tank is Right at $2K . Can someone explain why a tank and pump cost so much?
A good reason to go the 5 gallon gas can route—about $25/can, you don't carry all that weight around for regular driving, and the newer no-drip cans don't have any odor and don't leak or splash when you pour. I've carried one in the cab and there's absolutely no smell of gas. It's not automatic, but a fraction of the cost.

Gene
Old 01-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
"Fuel" for thought...

We installed an in bed auxiliary fuel tank in our '00 F350 CC SWB PSD a few years ago. It was custom made by Dually Depot - 5th Wheel Hitch, Auxiliary Fuel Tank, Spray On Bed Liners, Custom Exhaust System and uses a switch in the cab to change from the main tank to the aux tank. They also ran a filler cap through my topper shell so I can fill the aux tank from the same side as my existing gas cap. (I'll post pics if you want). Also installed a large filter for that tank.

It is coated with Rhino-lining to match the bed of the truck.

The gas gauge reads correctly for the tank but the 'miles to empty' on the computer is off by a factor of 45/30, the ratio of the aux tank/main tank capacity.

It's been a good investment. The 75 gallons is enough to make it across some/most of the midwestern states and give you options to fuel where it costs less.
WBCCI/VAC #8481
AIR #9
W9CDC
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob
A few more shots of our in-bed auxiliary tank, sans Chrstmas tree lights etc. This is a 50 gallon auxiliary tank, so combined is 80 gallons. The dashboard display shows the fuel status for both the standard and auxiliary tanks. As the standard tank gets lower in fuel, the auxiliary tank pumps into the standard tank - all automatically, no operator involvement.

There are two fill spots - the normal fill on the vehicle, and the fill into the auxiliary tank itself. When I pull in to refuel, I usually utilize both. Very easy to refuel, although I do need to roll up the tonneau cover.

One of my goals was to make sure whatever was installed fit below the tonneau cover, which as you can see this does. Some of the larger auxiliary tanks may not allow this due to higher fill caps - or just general size.

Has worked great so far.
Hey Brad, good pics. I have a 2006 F250 PSD Crew Cab 4x4. I have a Rhino Lining and the same roll-up soft top that you appear to have. Question, What does installing and subsequently tying the new 50 gallon tank into your current fuel system do to your brand new truck's warranty? I have been "gun shy" about doing anything cause I heard if you monkey around with the fuel system you voided the warranty. I know Transfer Flow has a combo tool-fuel tank (~30gallons?) that comes with a gas station type nozzle that fits in the bed and you could refuel your pickup like you were at a fueling station. That would actually work for me I think cause then I could lug my diesel generator with me (with its own fuel supply just a few feet away).
Old 01-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Nope, didn't mean it cost me $66 worth of propane to save $35 worth of diesel. I should have said my cost per mile went down to the point that I saved $35 had I run straight diesel fuel with no propane. (Not like the folks who gamble in Vegas and say they won $1500, but neglect to tell you they gambled away $2000!)

By using fumigation instead of INJECTION, you have a really safe system. The propane is sucked into the intake by the turbocharger. It is not forced in under pressure. Well, it is after it goes through the turbocharger.

I notice a little bit of power increase, but I have a light foot and use the propane as an alternative fuel, not as a power enhancer.

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote