Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Improving the MPG on A Suburban

I am sure that this has been asked many times although when I search I found everything but.

I'm sure most of you know that I just bought my new to me 1999 suburban 2500 with a 7.4 L engine. Well I must say it's been a real awakening I knew the gas mileage would be bad but I wasn't ready for the 11 miles per gallon. And that is without my airstream in-tow. What will I get then 8 miles a gallon? Now I know for the most part this vehicle is in decent shape: tires are new, shocks are fairly new, brakes are new, oils just been changed, also the air cleaner is brand-new. So I put it to you experts out there I just want to make sure I have done everything I can possibly do to squeeze even a mile or two per gallon more would be nice. I was thinking of changing the plug wires, plugs and oxygen sensors. I think there are two right? I can't tell about the fuel filter would that help? Any other ideas would be welcome. Now I know most of you guys out there know a lot more about this than I do so if he wouldn't mind lending me your expertise to this never-ending search for better MPG.
SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Tune ups, air pressure, driving habits. Slow starts and stops, keep it under 60.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabLover
I am sure that this has been asked many times although when I search I found everything but.

I'm sure most of you know that I just bought my new to me 1999 suburban 2500 with a 7.4 L engine. Well I must say it's been a real awakening I knew the gas mileage would be bad but I wasn't ready for the 11 miles per gallon. And that is without my airstream in-tow. What will I get then 8 miles a gallon? Now I know for the most part this vehicle is in decent shape: tires are new, shocks are fairly new, brakes are new, oils just been changed, also the air cleaner is brand-new. So I put it to you experts out there I just want to make sure I have done everything I can possibly do to squeeze even a mile or two per gallon more would be nice. I was thinking of changing the plug wires, plugs and oxygen sensors. I think there are two right? I can't tell about the fuel filter would that help? Any other ideas would be welcome. Now I know most of you guys out there know a lot more about this than I do so if he wouldn't mind lending me your expertise to this never-ending search for better MPG.
Driving habits is where it's at. No snake oil will make this beast into an economy car. Take it easy on the gas pedal. Drive lazy, but not annoyingly so. Calculate stops - hard braking wastes gas that was needed to get you to speed in the first place. I was able to get my 97 to about 16mpg in town, and close to 20 on the highway. 12 towing.
I would just ease away from the lights, and build speed slowly, but again, not to hinder the flow of traffic.
Your actual highway mileage will be much better if you keep it below 70. Expect about 16mpg on long trips solo with the 454.
If the vehicle is well maintained, then that's really all you can do. There's a reason they gave it a 42 gal tank....
Old 10-18-2007, 09:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, in most cases you can't do much of anything to improve mileage beyond driveing slower and makeing things lighter. Changeing the parts you mentioned will only make it better if they are bad and the check engine light is on because of it. We need to know more about the truck; Is it jacked up [raised] or does it have larger tires and wheels? This will effect the mileage. And if larger tires and wheels were put on it without recalibrateing the speedometer, you will get a false speed and mileage. The speed will be faster than the reading on the speedometer and the mileage will be less than actual.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:12 PM   #5
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
11 is pretty good! Mine gets that empty or pullin the Excella on flat land.I seldom go over 65 , seems to settle in around 62. Going up to Tahoe you can almost watch the fuel gauge move. 8 mpg uphill.
get the pics?
Also the 454 does eat more fuel going 35-40 mph.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabLover

buy a dodge w/ a hemi...

it's soooo easy.

i get 13.5 doing 85 str8 up hill... fully loaded... on regular gas. could do 95, but hay even i have limits...

kevbo
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:24 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, in most cases you can't do much of anything to improve mileage beyond driveing slower and makeing things lighter. Changeing the parts you mentioned will only make it better if they are bad and the check engine light is on because of it. We need to know more about the truck; Is it jacked up [raised] or does it have larger tires and wheels? This will effect the mileage. And if larger tires and wheels were put on it without recalibrateing the speedometer, you will get a false speed and mileage. The speed will be faster than the reading on the speedometer and the mileage will be less than actual.
I know I know I do need slow down a bit. Changing over from my town and country and the Saab. It is a bit of struggle keep my foot out of the gas tank. The tires that I am running are what came on it. Their new Firestone 275 X 75 X 16. I do think it is jacked up a little bit. It seems to be higher than most I believe. When I saw the tires I was wishing I were 245s. I'm still getting used to having to use the step to get into the damn thing. What foot to start with and all that. In my Saab I have to climb down into IT.

SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:40 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Aside from what already has been mentioned, avoid jack rabbit starts/stops and check tire pressure -cold. I noticed your running 265/75R16's, when needing replacement might suggest 235/85R16 (little higher and narrow). But the aspect ratio is nealy identical thus no speedo error. As far as tune ups (a generic phrase in todays product), your check engine/service engine light will come on when the air/fuel parameters are exceeded on either end (rich or lean). Hence your computer via the light will alert you to most driveability issues (i.e. misfires). Your gear ratios 411's, 373's also have a small impact on yor MPG's. Before spending $, consider the trade-offs.
Good luck, Larry
lsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
how were the readings from the state inspection? if they were well withing range i don't think changing what you mentioned will help any.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote