Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Austin , Texas
Im looking to tow a 30' Argosy....

It can be found here in this classified...
1978 Airstream Argosy 30’ for sale in Bella Vista, Arkansas

My tow vehicle is a 2013 Chevy Avalanche with the towing package that can handle 8100 lbs. The dry weight of the trailer is in the neighborhood of 4000 lbs. I dont have a weight distributing hitch but Im considering upgrading to one at some point. Im thinking that my truck should be able to handle the trailer. Does anyone here have any concerns regarding the set up?? I'm new to this so any advice here would be appreciated!
Clopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums.
The phrase you are looking for with your towing capacity is "when properly equipped".
Simply dropping the trailer on the ball and driving is not properly equipped. You need a brake controller, WD, and sway control. No ifs, ands or buts.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1995 21' Sovereign
Hollister , California
It looks like the trailer has a WD set up on it in the pictures, did you ask the seller if he is including one? They are really cheap insurance for sure!

Brake controller, your truck should be very simple to instal one. Most controllers today are simple plug and play. No leveling required. A good retailer like etrailer.com can set you up with a controller and wire harness to plug right into your Avalanche, no wire splicing needed!
Cyberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberous View Post

Brake controller, your truck should be very simple to instal one. Most controllers today are simple plug and play. No leveling required. A good retailer like etrailer.com can set you up with a controller and wire harness to plug right into your Avalanche, no wire splicing needed!
Did you know that most new GM trucks including the Avalanche are now hard-wire installation of brake controllers? A step backward.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the info!

The original owner says it comes with the WD, Im going to install a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Trailer Brake Controller. The etrailers site has a lot of helpful install videos etc.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The Avalanche will do it, but it won't want any more than that.
It should be just like pulling with a Suburban.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Austin , Texas
Overlander, M, Hony, and Cyberous, Thanks for the tips! I successfully towed the Argo from Northwest Arkansas all the way back to Austin TX. The brake controller was particularly helpful in the city traffic of Dallas. I felt like I had very precise braking control at all times even in emergency stopping situations. Little sedans and cars love to cut in front of the space you are maintaining and then jam on their brakes because of heavy traffic!
Old 01-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clopticon View Post
Overlander, M, Hony, and Cyberous, Thanks for the tips! I successfully towed the Argo from Northwest Arkansas all the way back to Austin TX. The brake controller was particularly helpful in the city traffic of Dallas. I felt like I had very precise braking control at all times even in emergency stopping situations. Little sedans and cars love to cut in front of the space you are maintaining and then jam on their brakes because of heavy traffic!
Glad we could help.
And it's not just travel trailers getting cut off, I've seen cars do it to 18 wheelers, as well. Sometimes, it did not end well for the little car...