Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2015, 08:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I'm going to jump!

I love my nieces and nephews and their offspring and my sister - and my brother BUT I didn't work all my life to leave them with a big inheritance. I have a perfectly good 2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost. I like it. But the attachment is pretty anemic.

I must have been out of my mind for not getting remote start and heated seats - I got an emergency call at 3:30 2 nights ago and had to go into work, and I go down the road teeth chattering saying - one more traffic light and I'll have some heat, just one more dear lord. Of course 4 traffic lights later I was sweating like a horse because I'd turned everything to high to get max heat fast.

I had to buy a new tow vehicle in a hurry after my wreck - now I'm going to plan and scheme and take my time and buy the luxury vehicle of my choice, after listening to a lot of advice from my friends here!

Since trading a truck at 2 years will be rather expensive, whatever I buy is going to be something I'll have to live with for at least 5 years. SO, give me the pro's and cons to help me finalize my decision.

I'm getting a 3/4 ton vehicle - because the #1 thing I miss with the Ecoboost is the pure raw torque of my old diesel Silverado. Remembering that I'm a fulltimer - what are the arguments for going all the way to a 1 ton? I am going to carry more "stuff" than the average weekender - does the payload increase and fuel usage for the bigger one? I'm going "loaded" with luxury stuff, and I know that reduces the payload a bit.

(I have admired both a "DuraBurb" and a Streamliner with utility bed - but the Streamliner is too pricy - I won't live long enough to get any ROI, and the DuraBurb isn't for someone who isn't a complete motorhead.)

Leading contender at this moment is a 3/4 ton GMC with the following must haves:
  • towing package, mirrors, brake controller, etc.
  • towing mirrors must fold back electrically
  • remote start
  • heated seats
  • heated steering wheel
  • leather interior?
  • backup camera
  • TPMS
  • electric windows, seats, etc. (now almost standard equipment)
  • 18" wheels I think.
  • bed slide
  • matching cap

Diesel or gas - price of fuel is a non issue really. What's the price difference in a 3/4 and 1 ton? What am I losing by not going diesel? I really liked the Silverado's instrument placement a lot better than the Ford's.

Any thoughts on a 2015 as opposed to a 2014 or 2013?

OK pile on and help me blow a wad of money.

Thanks, Paula
Old 02-03-2015, 09:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Paying close attention to this thread. Looking at changing out our 2nd vehicle for TV that will be pretty much only used with the Airstream.

I am looking long and hard at F150, super crew, 6.5ft bed etc.

Oh, and the LR3 I am looking at trading does NOT have heated seats.... hence it is on death watch!
Old 02-03-2015, 09:28 PM   #3
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
The seats should be both heated and ventilated. BTW, the heated steering wheel is wonderful on a cold day.

If you go for the 1-ton, you may want to add an Air Safe to your hitch to give your TT a smoother ride.

I won't pretend to know anything about whether your TV wheels should be 18" or 20", but I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions on that.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
If I had only one vehicle to tow our FC 25 and drive daily it wouldn't be a truck, it would be a MB GL 350 Bluetec or Audi Q7 TDI. But we've learned to manage payload while on the road 7 months a year.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:40 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Audi Q7 TDI looks sharp. Get one 3YO coming off lease, half price and engine already broken in for you.

Officially it's Tow rating is 6600lbs, vs the 7700 on the Toureg and Cayenne, but axle and engine it's the same vehicle.
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

Diesel or gas - price of fuel is a non issue really. What's the price difference in a 3/4 and 1 ton? What am I losing by not going diesel? I really liked the Silverado's instrument placement a lot better than the Ford's.

Thanks, Paula
The GM interior on the 2500 (Sierra and Silverado) was redesigned in mid 2014. The new design is light years nicer than the older one. There is very little price difference between a GMC 2500/3500. You should go online to the GMC, Chevy and Ford website and do a build to get a good idea of price difference.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:53 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I have the 20" wheels.. hard to find and very limited 'fitment' for them and the 2400. Rear wheels/wheel wells ok.. Front, Drivers side, Wheel well now has a hole rubbed in it from turning 'left'. Makes loud crunchy sounds as I turn 1/3 to full left. Nice in a parking lot, gets lots of attention... not really something I hoped for.

On the 2012, the 'tow' mirrors do not electrically fold.. If I recall correctly.. perhaps new ones do.

The heated features of mirrors and other interior parts is really nice. When doing a remote start, when temp is correct, the seats 'automatically' begin heating...

rear camera is a plus.. I added my own...

I have always had 'gas' motors.. except in 'working' items, tractors, tug-boats, etc. This 'Duramax' is my first 'passenger' truck with diesel.

It just works.. well. The Allison tranny.. wow.. Also, I have 4x4.. use it once a week for strong 'pulls'. This has been useful on at least 1/4 of our 'camping trips'...towing the 34'.. When not in 4x4 mode, it works great....

Fuel mileage over life of truck... 14mpg. I ended up using truck for a lot of 'short' runs. This is detrimental to the diesel.. it needs to 'run'... to stretch it's legs... on a recent 'solo' trip of 800 miles it averaged 18 and better at 75MPH average..as that was the speed limit. When under tow.. we don't exceed 65MPH and hit 14MPG and lower if pulling serious hills.

The TPMS works great. Only problem is when 'rotating' tires, they need to be very careful to reset.

I hear the 2014's have great deals on them... depending upon how long they have been 'in stock'...

Get the factory bed spray on bed liner..
Get electric sliding rear glass...
Get Weathertech floor mats..
Get 'leather' interior
Get 'Ranch Hand' or 'Pioneer' front and rear bumper
Get Heavy duty Tow package
Get the 'Crew Cab'
Get the Allison tranny.. maybe not the 4x4... but I 'love' mine...
Get the short/medium bed... not the long bed (helps with parking)
you should get the "extended diesel warranty"... with the Dmax.. ask....

The rear seats on ours fold up.. you can then 'store' lots inside...

Yes, the Dmax costs more.. diesel is more $$, you won't get 'specials' for oil-changes as the 'diesel' is always excluded.

If you want pics, I can send. I am at 3 years ownership... and loving it.. mostly. Only a couple 'issues'... and the dealer appears to be very interested in resolving...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
I love my nieces and nephews and their offspring and my sister - and my brother BUT I didn't work all my life to leave them with a big inheritance. I have a perfectly good 2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost. I like it. But the attachment is pretty anemic.

I must have been out of my mind for not getting remote start and heated seats - I got an emergency call at 3:30 2 nights ago and had to go into work, and I go down the road teeth chattering saying - one more traffic light and I'll have some heat, just one more dear lord. Of course 4 traffic lights later I was sweating like a horse because I'd turned everything to high to get max heat fast.

I had to buy a new tow vehicle in a hurry after my wreck - now I'm going to plan and scheme and take my time and buy the luxury vehicle of my choice, after listening to a lot of advice from my friends here!

Since trading a truck at 2 years will be rather expensive, whatever I buy is going to be something I'll have to live with for at least 5 years. SO, give me the pro's and cons to help me finalize my decision.

I'm getting a 3/4 ton vehicle - because the #1 thing I miss with the Ecoboost is the pure raw torque of my old diesel Silverado. Remembering that I'm a fulltimer - what are the arguments for going all the way to a 1 ton? I am going to carry more "stuff" than the average weekender - does the payload increase and fuel usage for the bigger one? I'm going "loaded" with luxury stuff, and I know that reduces the payload a bit.

(I have admired both a "DuraBurb" and a Streamliner with utility bed - but the Streamliner is too pricy - I won't live long enough to get any ROI, and the DuraBurb isn't for someone who isn't a complete motorhead.)

Leading contender at this moment is a 3/4 ton GMC with the following must haves:
  • towing package, mirrors, brake controller, etc.
  • towing mirrors must fold back electrically
  • remote start
  • heated seats
  • heated steering wheel
  • leather interior?
  • backup camera
  • TPMS
  • electric windows, seats, etc. (now almost standard equipment)
  • 18" wheels I think.
  • bed slide
  • matching cap

Thanks, Paula
Sounds like you have it figured out. We prefer the torque of the diesel, but the gas would get the job done at a much lower initial cost and maintenance. For some reason ours was not fitted with the heated wheel - but we got all else. Our Bedslide is now on the third or fourth truck! The 3/4 T is plenty stiff and we were told that the only difference for the 1 T was another helper spring ... YMMV.

We opted for the standard size wheel/ tire combo for a better selection of tires and not the extra cost ... the "Z" off road pkg includes better tires for traction as well as other goodies such as protection plates.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I did what everyone says not to do. I splurged on a new diesel one ton to travel with during my retirement. i marvel at all the technology in turbo diesel engines. I think I counted 11 radiators and over 60 sensors to cool and control the thing. It is very complex. But so far, no problems. Maybe it's my last new vehicle? It should outlast me! It is considerably more expensive to own and operate compared to a gas one ton pick up.

Yep, I can accelerate faster and climb long grades faster with the diesel torque than I could with my gas one ton van. But 98% of the time I'm at 62 mph or less on level roads and can't tell any difference. My diesel gets 13mpg towing, and my gas van got 10. I'll never pay for the diesel with lower total fuel costs.

But... I agree with dkottum on considering a diesel SUV that can tow 7000 pounds. You can get the luxuries you want and have a much nicer driving vehicle. I enjoy my one ton, but it's a work truck and a beast to handle in a tight parking lot. And talk about slow to warm up on a winter day! A diesel doesn't like cold weather so much. It takes 20 minutes of driving to finally get warm. If you have a new 30' Classic in mind, then the heavy duty pick up is appropriate. If you haul a 1500 pounds of gear when you travel, then the heavy duty pick up is appropriate.

I believe most manufacturers make one ton pick ups from 3/4 ton pick ups by adding an extra leaf or two to the rear spring pack. And they are "overload" springs at that, meaning they don't come in to play until you have a bunch of weight in the bed. My truck was $800 more expensive for the one ton option. For me, it was a no brainer to check the one ton box.

Heck, I thought your F150 ecoboost would be very good tow vehicle. That's probably what I should have got. As always, no charge for my advice

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Why the Ranch Hand or Pioneer bumpers?
Why the bed liner if also adding a slide?

The curious want to know
Old 02-03-2015, 11:48 PM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Why the Ranch Hand or Pioneer bumpers?
Why the bed liner if also adding a slide?

The curious want to know
Front Bumpers help strain out road debris like rocks, bugs, Bambi.
Rear bumper more durable for stepping on and in/out and for rear collisions.
"Bright bumpers" are cosmetic and easily bent. Cost to replace exceeds new ranch hand.
Can mount more lights for front or side viewing easier.

BeDliner protects from rust better than paint. Will not limit slide. Quiets bed noise from road. Bed Can be used for other things should need arise.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:58 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
What do you mean "You're not leaving me a bundle of cash"????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O

I vote for a gasser Burb. It has all that space in the back that's more accessable for us short people than climbing up into a truck and it's a bit more secure for "stuff".

And you can just give your F-150 to me...I'll take good care of her for you.

For those who haven't figured it out already, I'm Paula's sister.

Love you to Evil Sis!
prudencepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:41 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
paula, have you considered adding some options to the f150 such as remote start, and elec. folding mirrors? seems like a lot of $$$$ for one cold night ;-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:41 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I don"t care for heated seats, but our new car does have remote start. I didn"t think I would like that either, but it"s growing on me.
You asked what the difference between 3/4 ton and 1 ton was, and the only difference, at least on Fords, is the height of the spring blocks. The F350 rides about an inch higher, and has a larger CCC and tow capacity.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:10 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Paula,

If I was going to jump....This is where I'd land.

But that's just me I'm GM all the way

FWIW....I don't think the 6.2L is an option in the Chev Burb.

Have fun shopping

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I'll make it short and sweat. Had them all, have an F350 6.7 Diesel Platinum addition. It has everything, more than my wife's Lexus 450H. I use it as a somewhat daily driver, no issues. Would not tow a 30' with anything but a diesel as when we travel we do lots of miles over an extended period and often up and down mountains. We also ordered the quick heater option, I think it was $250.00. It comes on immediately when you remote start the truck, as do the seats and the steering wheel so within five minutes the cab is warm and so is your butt and your hands. Our F250 did not have this option and it would take 15 miles to warm up. Also, we have 20" wheels, Michelins - less side wall less side sway over 18". I also have a full set of 18" wheels and tires, Michelins, put them on to see and there is a difference. Not much but it's there.

Good luck

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:31 AM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'm going to jump!

OP, it would help to know how the TV is to be used. The range of things.

Specifics, as based on present and proposed future use. And an examination of the assumption that a pickup is best. How to eliminate some avenues is the first, best, step.

Percentage of towing miles, for example, versus solo. A good guesstimate.

Type of towing trips (two weeks at a time or mainly four day weekends); distance of trips and expected terrain and climate. Annual miles expected?

Same for solo: terrain, climate and description of solo duties (commuter; and/or hauls boats or horses on occasion). Annual miles expected?

Will you be transitioning to full time travel (say, on the road for a quarter of the nights of a calendar year)?

A truck with greater capacities than your present TV is a better match with the heaviest trailers of this design type AND a substantial payload beyond tongue weight. Do you expect to carry many hundreds more pounds in the vehicle than at present? Half tons can be spec'd over quite a range, "better" than what you have at present.

And what of your present lash-up? A past thread of yours, IIRC, was in reference to setting weight distribution. Asked rhetorically, was it measured at better than 50% of the weight restored to the front axle once hitched? This type of question -- analyzing the present combined vehicle combination -- goes a long way to sorting expectations on one in the future.

A few tweaks is the difference between good and bad in combined vehicle roadworthiness. Rarely the difference people believe as they won't trouble themselves to get the numbers, but buy bigger believing it better. It isn't.

Also, IIRC, you have made mention of perhaps a different TT in size and weight and brand.

So let's travel one direction in this:

An 1988 AVION triple axle 34'. 9500-lb gross. At .92 of GVWR, an expected 900-lb TW at 11%.

TW to around that would be approximately 700-lbs remaining on the TV once WD is set. (Hard to be exact, but generalities work in this instance).

As in the above posts' recommendation, this is easily within range of the Euro AWD SUVs and their state of the art suspensions. And obvious luxury.

Much better road performance by any definition. Safety, IOW. Solo braking distances are an easily compared parameter. And 100-mph plus German vehicles are a far cry from an unstable-above-65-mph American pickup truck.

Reston, VA to London, ON is about 500-miles. I can't even come close to getting out of Texas in that distance. So a perusal of threads in re CAN AM RV and Andrew Thompson is right up your alley, not just the short driving distance.

His list of questions is better than what we come up with here. As is his firms record of setting up more than 10,000 tow combinations over the last forty years. He has stated several times in posts that he considers these analyses a hobby.

One needn't buy from him, IOW. Your experience and his knowledge, combined, can light things up. An email and phone call gets that started

You already have a Hensley which they prefer to tweak over a ProPride. And a TUSON electronic trailer mounted antisway is also their preference. Belt & suspenders. The very short rear overhang of a Mercedes or BMW or Porsche SUV is gold.

Your concerns about confidence behind the wheel deserve to be fully aired.

Explore this avenue. A full up 3/4T pickup is in about the same price range. And you are already in a high income metro region so that a servicing dealer (or dealers) of these SUVs is nearby.

Whatever direction you go, an examination of the specifics of your situation will lead to a better outcome than just pickup brand and motor choices.

Good luck

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I have a srw, crew cab, short bed Dodge cummins one ton. The three quarter would have been okay, but you have to buy what's availabled when buying used. Duallys are a dif thing, that's why I boughtbthe single rear wheel. If buying new I might get the duromax with Allison, although I love my dodge. I get oil change coupons from my dealer for fifty nine dollar changes. For that much I have one done every three thousand miles. The only dif I can see in my one to my friends three quarter ton truck us I have an additional leaf spring. He added that because he hauls a truck camper. I'm not much on power windows and door locks and all the electric gadgets, but if you like them get all you can right from the start and don't add on later. By the way my truck is no taller than a half ton, do not have four wheel drive. Rear sits high, adding two Vespas and all the camping gear as well as the trailer drops it abou two to three inches only. I just started using a wd hitch mainly for the sway control. I tow a thirty foot Avion. Just my opinion but any if the three quarters available wit diesel will do you well. Find a dealer you like close by and ask about maintenance coupons fir diesels and if they have a specific diesel tech. Too much rambling, sorry. Good luck. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:12 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
It used to be said that letting your vehicle start and idle when cold was not good for the engine. Its better to start it and then drive. The engine warms up faster so less wear and tear. Has that changed in more modern engines? It also wastes fuel letting your engine idle in the cold for 10 minutes.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:33 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
It used to be said that letting your vehicle start and idle when cold was not good for the engine. Its better to start it and then drive. The engine warms up faster so less wear and tear. Has that changed in more modern engines? It also wastes fuel letting your engine idle in the cold for 10 minutes.

Kelvin
Hasn't changed for me....I still put'er in drive as soon as the idle stabilizes,(PCM off fast idle)

I'm sure it's not as stressful as it was back in the day, what with all the modern electronics and thinsetic oils......but old habits die hard.

It's like....why is neutral between drive and reverse?

Dad told me the answer the second time I shifted Mom's Hudson during my first drivers lesson.
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote