Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi
Today I ordered a pair of the Aero mirrors. I have used the Cipa mirrors on one trip. i'll report on the comparison when I take my next trip in Sept.

I had no issues with the Cipa on a 600 mile trip, but to get them tight I had to screw down the thumbscrew enough to grossly deform the plastic case and wedge channel. i'm interested in seeing if the Aero mirrors have a better hold down mechanism. These Aero mirrors are about double the price of the Cipas.. lol I'm spending enough on these add ons I could order the factory tow mirrors from Sparks. For non towing I do like the standard mirrors though.
Hope these work for you, TPI. The clamp mechanism on the Aeros consists of 4 thumb screws- 2 to secure the mirror to the existing mirrors, and 2 for controlling the up/down rotation. No way to rotate laterally but this hasn't been a problem.
Mrs. Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:57 AM   #42
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We didn't have any problems getting the tow package with tow mirrors and the TRD option when we bought our '07 at the end of that model year. Since we bought in Colorado, we may have had a problem if we wanted the 2WD version. The dealer checked the computer and saw where all the versions were; I think we ended up with one off their lot anyway. I'm sure it would be harder to get a 4WD version in southern Cal. or Fla. I have read before Toyota does not allow you to order from the factory—you have to buy what a dealer has. The theory may be that it supports the dealers and moves inventory.

With the internet, you can deal with dealers in other regions. This is a pain, but it depends just how much you want a specific truck.

Our mirrors have the turn signals, heat up to remove fogging or ice and fold in. They do not extend out with a motor—it is manual—but the upper mirror can be adjusted electrically inside the truck. This requires a lot of wires and if Toyota does not use the same harness for all Tundras, then the harness would have to be replaced (seems like it would be cheaper to use one harness for all trucks, but maybe it isn't). A dealer may not want to do that, but should be able to sell you the proper harness. A good mechanic can figure it out and replace the harness (or make one) and solve the problem. Money and a good mechanic should solve the problem.

A service dep't that does not want to change a harness and solve a problem is a service dep't I would not return to—do they give up when they have a really hard problem to solve?

I can't understand how the tow mirror wouldn't fold in and do it in both directions. It is hard to understand why Toyota would make two different styles of tow mirror that fold and don't fold. For years now all mirrors fold.

I would also check for aftermarket tow mirrors. I think there may be some issues finding the exact mirror, but here's one I found for a 2011 Limited in about 2 minutes at a substantial saving: PartsTrain.com - Hard to Find Auto Parts and Truck Parts - Towing Mirror - For 2011 Toyota Tundra Limited 8 Cyl 5.7L

My experience with buying aftermarket parts on the internet is that a fair number of them are the wrong ones and have to be returned, but prices are usually much better than going to a local aftermarket parts store. Those guys get it wrong a lot too.

It can be hard to deal with Toyota. They have a tendency to be arrogant at times. I try to ignore that so long as they make reliable vehicles.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltb View Post
I have a 2010 Tundra Double cab and went through the mirror thing. I was told by a former Toyota tech that the dealers do not want to install mirrors, for whatever reason. He said that unless you have a "work" or "fancy" trunk level, the wiring should be the same for tow mirrors. If your existing mirrors are heated and adjustable, the wiring should work with tow mirrors.

So I went to:

Tow Mirror, Right Side COMPLETE ASSEMBLY at Sparks Toyota-Scion, Myrtle Beach, SC

and ordered mirrors. I had an independent shop install them in about 30 minutes, just plugged them in and everything works great. The Toyota tow mirrors fold, and extend (not power), and the turn signal lights and heat work fine.
Thanks so much for the post. The Tundra forums taught me that if I had 8 wires on my harness all would be well. You gave me the link to the actual mirrors. I ordered them, watched a short You-tube video of how to remove the door panel, Skye and I installed them (by ourselves) in less than an hour. Everything works fine, even the blinkers (and I did not have blinkers on the original mirrors.)

Life is good!

Thanks to all !!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
The dealer

I'm ornery enough that I'd be inclined to go back to the first dealer and show them your new mirrors.
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott J-24 View Post
Mrs. Bale,

What other three brands have you tried, I am currently looking to get some 'ad-on' tow mirrors for my Tundra and am intrested in what you didn't like about the brands.
Thanks!
I just got my Aero 2 Mirrors the day before may last trip. I love them. By far the best I have used.

I've had various "rubber band" brands. They were too small. Didn't always fit the various vehicles I have driven and the bands break due to sun rot eventually

My CIPAs began to crack at the three feet posts after only one year, always slipped down (especiall during a rain, due to nylon strap stretch when wet).

The Areos never moved, have a well designed mounting system, and appear to be of high quality. All the hardware is stainless steel with brass inserts in all the plastic. They are adjustable as to their length, and with them all the way out, I can see EVERYTHING behind me...even if a car is crowding me a little close, I can see his rear quarter a little and certainly his shadow from one side or the other. Highly recommend them.

BTW, CASA, great that it worked out. I was having trouble grasping that Toyota would use different harness for different trucks. Minimizing build combinations with a universal harness is WAY cheaper than the material not utilized on a decontented truck.
Most mfrs. use one or MAYBE two harnesses these days.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:06 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post

BTW, CASA, great that it worked out. I was having trouble grasping that Toyota would use different harness for different trucks. Minimizing build combinations with a universal harness is WAY cheaper than the material not utilized on a decontented truck.
Most mfrs. use one or MAYBE two harnesses these days.
Thanks. I also had trouble with that. Can't imagine you save 30 cents or so per harness but lose all kinds of money on parts and installation later...But it is true. We popped the panel of my son in laws Tundra last night. 3 wires instead of the 8 he would need. Ahh well...I recommended he stay away from the Cipa's and try the Aero's. (It was Cipa that blew off on the bridge and started me on this quest) That one thumbscrew and the little plastic insert just never really seemed right.

WBCCI 3805
Old 10-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Chico , California
I'm in the process of buying a 2011 Tundra Double Cab and am getting conflicting info from dealers about adding the Tundra Tow Mirrors.... The latest dealer service manager is saying that he doesn't recommend putting them on because "they vibrate". What experience have you all had with these mirrors when and if you have had them installed with the proper wiring harness?
reshecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #48
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
My 07 Tundra came with the mirrors. They do not vibrate...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Our 09 also has the mirrors and they do not rattle or vibrate. They are great.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #50
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
My 07 Tundra came with the mirrors. They do not vibrate...
Same here.

Maybe if he installs them they do, but the factory installed ones haven't.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
San Luis Obispo , California
Send a message via AIM to waltb Send a message via Skype™ to waltb
I put tow mirrors on my Tundra and they don't vibrate. The dealer told me they wouldn't sell the mirrors to me because Toyota doesn't let them unless they came with the truck. Seems a crock to me... I bought them from another dealer and had an independent install them. I could have done it myself after watching though.
waltb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by reshecca View Post
I'm in the process of buying a 2011 Tundra Double Cab and am getting conflicting info from dealers about adding the Tundra Tow Mirrors.... The latest dealer service manager is saying that he doesn't recommend putting them on because "they vibrate". What experience have you all had with these mirrors when and if you have had them installed with the proper wiring harness?
Reshecca, I guess I started this thread out of frustration with Toyota but I can tell you the ones we installed do not vibrate a bit. Same bolts that hold on the original ones. I am so glad we put them on.

Sometimes I think they say whatever they can to get you to buy what is on the lot and keep you from going somewhere else. I was told I would be able to get them later (salesman) but when later came, the Service dept. disagreed.

WBCCI 3805
Old 10-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Chico , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805

Reshecca, I guess I started this thread out of frustration with Toyota but I can tell you the ones we installed do not vibrate a bit. Same bolts that hold on the original ones. I am so glad we put them on.

Sometimes I think they say whatever they can to get you to buy what is on the lot and keep you from going somewhere else. I was told I would be able to get them later (salesman) but when later came, the Service dept. disagreed.
The irony then is that the trouble they are giving me about the mirrors may drive me to another dealer. They have the truck I want with most of the features i'm looking for. I want to pay them extra to add these mirrors, but the service manager is resisting. The salesman seems to be on my side (he realizes that these mirrors are the only thing remaining between him and my money ~ we've even already agreed on price).

At this point i'm considering getting the truck without the tow mirrors and adding them on myself....
reshecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:40 PM   #54
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
San Marcos , California
Like waltb we got the same story from our Toyota dealer regarding adding tow mirrors. I checked tundra solutions too and then decided to go for it. I purchased the tow mirrors from Sparks Toyota. And I must say they were easy to install.
rstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:53 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by reshecca View Post

At this point i'm considering getting the truck without the tow mirrors and adding them on myself....
Take a look back at post 43. No exaggeration in that post. My wife and I installed both sides less than an hour. Nothing was hard about it at all. I did watch a you tube video about how to remove the door panel (I think it was designed for replacing speakers) but all you need to do is pop loose the top half of the panel, no need to take it all the way off to get to the mirror connections. And, like the previous poster, we got ours from Sparks. Cheaper than Toyota. Heated, power adjust, and with a blinker. Before you go on a trip, you pull them out for full extension. Push back in when back home. Here is a pic from when we installed them. (pushed in) well over 1000 miles since then, no vibration and no more worries about it blowing off on the road somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tow front.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	142704  

WBCCI 3805
Old 11-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Chuck

how many wires did you have in the harness?

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
casa3805, did your Tundra have electric fold mirrors previously? does it work with the new ones?

I use my electric folding mirrors constantly while parking. Don't know that I want to sacrifice that.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Chuck
how many wires did you have in the harness?
Dan
8 wires in the harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict View Post
casa3805, did your Tundra have electric fold mirrors previously? does it work with the new ones?

I use my electric folding mirrors constantly while parking. Don't know that I want to sacrifice that.
Negative. Did not have electric fold before or after. Electric adjust, heated, and a turn signal built in though.

WBCCI 3805
Old 11-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
So i guess the only way to know whether this will work would be to pull a mirror and see how many wires i have. I think i have a base model truck so it will be just my luck it will only have the three wire harness. But my CIPA mirrors are getting to be a pain to put on and take off... screws don't work that well
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
I just bought a set of Aeros. The rally will be my first chance to use them.