Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
Is it possible to put towing mirrors on a 2006 Tundra? We use the tow and see mirrors but would love to have extendable ones.......has anyone done this on a 2006? paula
I went to Tundra Solutions forums and found many folks were able to put mirrors on the 2006/7 year models but many of them could not make blinkers and heaters, etc work. Some could...Purely based on the wiring harness installed. And no one could figure out the logic behind the wiring. Obviously a top of the line truck would have all wires for heat, power, blinkers, but some of the base models did as well, some did not, same for the mid level packages. Just weird...

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #22
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
Is it possible to put towing mirrors on a 2006 Tundra? We use the tow and see mirrors but would love to have extendable ones.......has anyone done this on a 2006? paula
The 2006 was the last year of the 1st generation Tundra. Towing mirrors were not an option and I do not know of any aftermarket mirrors for that generation. I had a 2003 Tundra before I bought my 2007 and could not find any replacement mirrors for the 2003.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
"...some of the options, packages, etc. don't make sense in the combinations that they're sold. I prefer the factory ordering system such as Ford Chevy, etc. Perhaps Toyota factory in Texas doesn't permit such a thing. Still a little market research would go a long way, and one reason people order 5.7 liter 380 HP trucks is to tow. The mirror situation is ridiculous. All the tow package mirrors should have telescoping/folding feature."

From the posts on www.tundratalk.net, it appears that most of those Tundra owners did NOT purchase their 5.7L equipped pickup to tow a travel trailer, or even to tow a work trailer. Most of them bought their trucks because the Tundra is a comparatively inexpensive hot rod. Very few of them on that site had towing in mind when they bought their truck.

We bought our Tundra specifically to tow our Bambi, and we knew exactly what options we needed to optimize the vehicle for towing. Most models in the dealerships were not equipped for this function. Therefore, we studied all of the options, ordered exactly what we wanted, and have been very satisfied with our purchase.

If you can't find the model you like in stock, you don't have to settle. Just do your homework, order what you want and be patient. It's worth the wait.

No aftermarket add-ons for us, or the problems that come with them -- our Tundra is exactly what we wanted, and it's strictly stock.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #24
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Quote:
If you can't find the model you like in stock, you don't have to settle. Just do your homework and be patient. It's worth the wait.
How did you do it? I admit to purchasing rather abruptly a model which generally met my needs, but deficient in the areas I posted. What is the best way to get a Tundra with the exact options you desire?

When I bought mine, dealer computer checks could not locate any 2wd SR5 5.7 tow package w/ tow mirrors in so. CA. I also made checks of dealer inventory in several large dealers without finding any.

And yes it is fast, delightfully so. At least comparable to some of the Olds 442, SS396 type cars from the '60s.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
San Luis Obispo , California
Send a message via AIM to waltb Send a message via Skype™ to waltb
I have a 2010 Tundra Double cab and went through the mirror thing. I was told by a former Toyota tech that the dealers do not want to install mirrors, for whatever reason. He said that unless you have a "work" or "fancy" trunk level, the wiring should be the same for tow mirrors. If your existing mirrors are heated and adjustable, the wiring should work with tow mirrors.

So I went to:

Tow Mirror, Right Side COMPLETE ASSEMBLY at Sparks Toyota-Scion, Myrtle Beach, SC

and ordered mirrors. I had an independent shop install them in about 30 minutes, just plugged them in and everything works great. The Toyota tow mirrors fold, and extend (not power), and the turn signal lights and heat work fine.
waltb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #26
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
When I was shopping for mine I knew what I wanted down to the color of the truck. There are plenty of Toyota Dealerships in the Phoenix area, but it still tool several months to get the truck I wanted.

The day I found the truck we had stopped at one dealer and they ran a computer check and told us there were no Tundras that came close to what we wanted in the area. We stopped at another dealership on the way home and they had two that matched the description and color that we wanted. We also verified later that another dealership had one that matched also. We made the deal a few hours later.

I would not believe what a dealer tells you about the inventory of another dealership.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We got a complete list of all models and options from the Consumer Reports Web site and studied it thoroughly to figure out what we wanted. This has the added advantage of providing the suggested list price and dealer cost for each option, along with instructions on how to get the best price from the dealer.

With our list in hand, we went to the dealer and asked them to quote on a Tundra equipped exactly per our list, and let them know that if they didn't have one in stock or available, we wanted to order it directly from the factory.

We ordered a CrewMax Limited with most of the "luxury" options, but with tow mirrors, running boards, dual exhaust and a rear sway bar. The towing package already added Bilstein shocks and other "heavy duty" items (e.g., transmission cooler, etc.).

I think we waited about 6-8 weeks for our Tundra to be built and arrive at the dealer, after we had used the Consumer Reports-provided tips for getting the best deal.

So, we got exactly what we wanted for a fair price, because we knew exactly what the dealer paid for the vehicle. By the way, the dealer does have to make a profit, so don't expect them to sell at a loss. You just don't have to pay more than is reasonable.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:44 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I just got extension mirror for our sequoia. They slide on over the existing mirror and then have a screw that tightens a plastic plate against your existing mirror. Can't come off and from onside look like a stock mirror. I don't remember the brand but will post a pick later. The box is at home and I'm on the road. They were $40 each bit have been well worth it. They fit 07 - 11 Tundra and sequoia.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:34 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Cipa, that's what you have. Me too. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi
Hi Mrs. Bale, which model are you using? I do like that 240 MPH clamp... Is there any online sales?
Hi TPI
We got the Aero 2 mirrors. Can't vouch for 240 mph, but they are more secure than the 3 other brands we tried. Here is the link: https://www.makariosboatparts.com/pr...-Products.html
Mrs. Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
I guess I will check with my Toyota dealer about this. It seems hard to believe that a dealership isn't interested in making some money.

waltb your solution seems to be the best ive seen so far, but not sure what you mean about "work" trunk level?

guess i would have to check with dealer to see what grade level my double cab is... it may be work model in that it has shifter on the column...

im just afraid that my cipa's may not take another summer of texas heat... the wedges aren't sitting in the channels very well......
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Bale View Post
Hi TPI
We got the Aero 2 mirrors. Can't vouch for 240 mph, but they are more secure than the 3 other brands we tried. Here is the link: https://www.makariosboatparts.com/pr...-Products.html
Mrs. Bale,

What other three brands have you tried, I am currently looking to get some 'ad-on' tow mirrors for my Tundra and am intrested in what you didn't like about the brands.
Thanks!
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #33
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Today I ordered a pair of the Aero mirrors. I have used the Cipa mirrors on one trip. i'll report on the comparison when I take my next trip in Sept.

I had no issues with the Cipa on a 600 mile trip, but to get them tight I had to screw down the thumbscrew enough to grossly deform the plastic case and wedge channel. i'm interested in seeing if the Aero mirrors have a better hold down mechanism. These Aero mirrors are about double the price of the Cipas.. lol I'm spending enough on these add ons I could order the factory tow mirrors from Sparks. For non towing I do like the standard mirrors though.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Nissan does the same thing with the Titan. There's a lot of things you can upgrade, but tow mirrors are not among them.

Beg to differ: I bought my '04 Titan SE without the Big Tow package and got aftermarket mirrors that were half of what the dealer wanted for Tow mirrors. Same hole pattern, wiring harnesses. Bolted right in, hooked right up. Still working after almost eight years.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have had CIPAs for a year and they are cracking around the foot posts. Ordered some Aero 2s today. Hoping I can make it through my trip berfore the CIPAs come apart. Leaving tomorrow, so the Aeros won't be here.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida
Chuck & Skye

Take a look at the McKesh Mirror at McKesh Mirrors | Hensley Hitch Towable Products
I use them on my Sequoia. They work well enough for me to recommend them to you.
martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #37
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Noisy....Ugly....sold'em....sorry.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I tried to buy a 2011 Tundra and finally gave up . Ordering what I wanted was impossible even though the factory brochure and web site said what I had specified was available. I guess their dealers must be overrun with customers even though one in my area had 45 trucks sitting on his lot. Seems you can't get the dealers to order in one. When I called Toyota ,they told me the dealers from each region get together, decide how they want the trucks for that region built , and that what you want may not be avialable in your region. How's that for a business model ? Guess I'll be sticking with Dodge and all that Hemi power .
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:23 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
order from outside the region

My sister couldn't get her Mercedes Benz equipped the way she wanted it from local dealers so she ordered one from "outside" the region.
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott J-24

Mrs. Bale,

What other three brands have you tried, I am currently looking to get some 'ad-on' tow mirrors for my Tundra and am intrested in what you didn't like about the brands.
Thanks!
One was Cipa and I can't remember the brands of the other 2. I will check my receipts when I get home and get back to you. The first pair was supposed to slide over the existing mirrors and then clamp down with a thumb screw. These would have worked fine but they didn't fit. The Cipa mirrors strapped on- the plastic strap connector piece broke and fell off while we were on the road. It was surprising that the mirror didn't fly off. The third pair clamped on, but they were very unstable and vibrated so badly that they were useless. They also impeded the electric mirrors. The Aeros fit very securely on our Durango and don't impede the OEM mirrors. They do vibrate, but not excessively. I'll get back to you with the brands that didn't work.
Mrs. Bale is offline   Reply With Quote