Old 11-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
House Springs , Missouri
GREAT story, glad Mike and I aren't the only one's who get in these "situations." Hopefully you'll be able to laugh about it down the road...

4-wheel drive definitely will not keep you from getting stuck or guarantee that you will be able to get out. Last weekend we were at Bass Resort (not really a resort but a camp ground) and a 4x4 dually also woke up the next morning to find out that parking on the grass after all this rain we've been having he had sunk in the Ozark Mud. A backhoe had to come pull him out...

Tina
1948 Curtis Wright Vintage Kin

Old 11-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I got stuck in my 2 wheel Silverado early this spring - wet grass with pure clay underneath. Slicker than a greased eel in a barrel full of snot.

Tractor pulled me out.

I did learn a useful trick though and have used it once since then - scrap carpet - 5 or 6 feet long. Jute side up, fiber side down - if you're not in axle deep it will feed itself under the tire and let you lift yourself out and start moving. Stay in second and EASY does it. .... Of course having a winch on the front bumper is better.

Paula

Old 11-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
tampa , Florida
great story. sorry for your muddy misery. my brother made the same vow after his experience in a Georgia farm field softened by 3 day soaking last Thanksgiving. My monster truck made quick work of it though so he didn't suffer long.

I think experiences like yours are why EVERYONE switches to 4WD.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Great story. I'm still laughing. I kept wondering if you would try to pull out the Titan with the Dodge and get it stuck too.

Gene
Old 11-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
I thought of the winch.idea and visions of front porch, back porch,neighbors vehicle,etc. being pulled into the backyard with the original vehicle.lol
Old 11-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Well, folks, sorry about the lack of photos, but generally when I enter an out-of-body state of frothing rage... I'm not "camera friendly."

As a Montana native, growing up in beater 2WD trucks and being part of a logging family, I've been stuck a time or two or twenty. My standard "load out" when traveling the back country includes a hi-lift jack, a come-along, blocks, chocks, 100' feet of heavy duty chain, tire chains and a chain saw. In fact, my V bar chains were responsible for my rear yard rototilling. I was tempted to deploy the come-along and chains to my neighbors tree... but I thought it best to keep the rodeo limited to the backyard. Of course, that was before I ran over the tomato cages.

I hate getting stuck... mostly because I can think back to a moment before I was stuck when I thought... maybe this is a bad idea? Rather than listen to this very intelligent, very tiny part of my brain, the larger, stupid portion of my brain sends the signal down my spinal column telling my hands and feet to do something idiotic... like putting my arm around my date to the 9th grade dance. This is how something that would have been a nominally stupid move, like parking in backyard, becomes a specatularly stupid move, like getting horribly stuck in the backyard with an audience.

I realize 4WD is not a panacea. When I'm several stages beyond pissed off neither is having opposable thumbs. It is quite possible to get a 4WD even more stuck than a 2WD... but I would like to delude myself into thinking that having 4WD would give the small, too often ignored part of my brain that sends the "Danger Will Robinson" signal to the rest of the cortex a little more time. Of course, I'm probably just kidding myself, but when I'm calm and not covered in mud, I'm capable of higher level functioning like rationalization.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I assure you that you are alone in hearing that little voice that says "maybe I shouldn't do this, nah, what the hell, let's try it, maybe it'll work", accompanied by a stupid grin.

Gene
Old 11-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Denver , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
That, kind sir, is EXACTLY why I'll never buy another two-wheel-drive truck!

Roger
I T-TOTALLY agree with you there! I've been stuck so many times pulling my dump trailer at the dump,the guy on the loader usually knows to bring out the chains if it rains the week before LOL

I'm glad you got it out though, and didn't have to pay for a tow
Old 11-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I assure you that you are alone in hearing that little voice that says "maybe I shouldn't do this, nah, what the hell, let's try it, maybe it'll work", accompanied by a stupid grin.

Gene
I was pretty sure it was just me, Gene.

Actually, and this is something some expert on synapses can probably explain, but it's not like an actual thought or even a grin. It's more like the "low fuel" light that I seem to notice in my wife's car, but that she does not.

I definitely see the light... and have the poor sense to mention it occasionally. My wife, on the other hand, has some odd tangential awareness of the light, but on a purely subconscious level. Her conscious awareness only kicks in after the light has been on for 40 miles or so... while I am growing every more uncomfortable with the prospect of running out of gas.

There's a part of my brain that knows better... about so many different things... but it occasionally "disconnects." Often after I've done something really stupid, I'm aware that I kind of knew it was stupid beforehand, but just wasn't paying attention. This is, to me, much different than looking at the situation and saying, "Hell, yes, I can make it," and then pouring on the coal.

But that's a story for another day.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
There are psychological explanations for these syndromes, though our wives may attribute to the Y chromosome.

Gene
Old 11-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwells4654 View Post
Great story - I have a locker in rear of my 2X4 GMC Truck - have not gotten stuck (YET).
Allow me to display my ignorance (yet again!) what is a "locker?" Is that the same as a limited sip differential?

Not sure what the heck I have on my tow vehicle! I should read the "book!"

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
This is a good demo vid.

YouTube - Difference btw. Locker and Limited Slip

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #27
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Allow me to display my ignorance (yet again!) what is a "locker?" Is that the same as a limited sip differential?

Not sure what the heck I have on my tow vehicle! I should read the "book!"

Brian
Brian,
we had a discussion over here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...end-55475.html

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
there are a few test flaws in that video.

Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote