Old 08-30-2006, 08:48 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Greg. Congrats. I love our D/A. I'm still amazed at how smooooth the Allison shifts. And wait until you get into the mountains. Not only the power but how the tranny works for you going up and down the mountains. With about 33,000 miles on mine, I'm getting 13 on a good day and 11.5 more typcial but I'm in the 65+ mph range towing. 19-20+ solo. It sure is sweet with our 34'. I'd never go smaller again.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:19 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1975 31' Sovereign
Grovetown , Georgia
Don't for get that while the Alison will down shift on a down grade it will up shift to stop the motor from over reving. I can't remember at what RPM, but the sound is like it is over reving. Be ready to aply the brakes!!!

Old 08-30-2006, 09:22 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Greg,
Welcome to the Dura Max world. We have just put 80,000 miles on our 02 DuraMax without a problem. We just traveled 5920 miles and our trip mpg was 15.22. We were towing our 74 Tradewind. When we towed our 99 34 Limited on a 8000 mile trip our trip mpg was 13.78. That sure beat the 9 mpg of our 454. Hope yours works out over time. Brad
Old 08-30-2006, 09:36 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO Bob
Don't for get that while the Alison will down shift on a down grade it will up shift to stop the motor from over reving. I can't remember at what RPM, but the sound is like it is over reving. Be ready to aply the brakes!!!
Coming down the Rockies into Denver, the tranny downshifted and I'd have to watch the tach as it would redline unless I used the brakes. Another thing to be aware of is that in hot weather, the electric fan will kick in at about 220 degrees and it sounds like the engine is really reving but the tach does move at all. It's just the fan. It'll run for a few minutes and gradually shut down. It's just doing it's job.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Congrats on your new truck. While I'm a PSD owner and fan, I respect the advancments and quality of the others...Dodge too for their awesome 5.9. Owning a diesel is peace of mind that only come through experience. You will love that truck!
Old 08-30-2006, 09:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
I upgraded from a F-150 to a F-250 PSD. What an improvement! I pull grades with my trailer at the speed limit with plenty left. Buy whatever make you like as they all have pluses and minuses but in the end they all tow like a son of a gun!!

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
All of a sudden my 14000 mile duramax is putting out 17.5+ mpg on the short country drive to the office. Solid 15 mpg at 60 towing. The big problem is you will forget the trailer is back there, that can be a real big problem going around corners, into parking lots, gas stations, ect. I find the tow mode helpful going down hills and approaching stops. Otherwise on the Interstate the Allsion is in drive and very happy.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:53 PM   #22
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Greg,

Is it a little more maintenance, or just more stuff involved when you do it?

Like GALLONS in an oil change instead of quarts?

Modern diesels are designed for longer oil change intervals, and tools such as oil analysis help us determine individually what our change interval should be based on our own pattern of usage.

The 3,000 mile oil change is the oil change industry's creation. Even the vehicle manufactures don't buy into it anymore.

I don't think the diesel needs MORE maintenance, just a different type of it.

I'm doing 7,500 mile oil changes on my '03 Cummins Ram, and that's the "heavy duty" use cycle which I'm certainly not doing with the truck.

The thing, it seems to me, is that one bad tank of diesel can cause trouble. I carry TWO spare fuel filters and the tools to change it with me always.

I refuel at truckstops. If they had lousy fuel, the truckers would be talking about it, and they wouldn't be there.

I NEVER refuel at little mom and pop places that have the diesel pump around back, and I try to always refuel between a quarter and a half tank remaining.

Those are my only concessions to my diesel. The rest of time, I pony it around to my heart's content. These engines were designed to run and pull, and it's not a shame to admit that they can be fun.

(Think of that the next time some little Asian car with an exhaust pipe that sounds like flatulence annoys you.)

Hi, Over59,

I never forget it's back there. Otherwise, my truck doesn't ride so smooth.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeHarbor
Hi, Greg,

Is it a little more maintenance, or just more stuff involved when you do it?

Like GALLONS in an oil change instead of quarts?

Modern diesels are designed for longer oil change intervals, and tools such as oil analysis help us determine individually what our change interval should be based on our own pattern of usage.

The 3,000 mile oil change is the oil change industry's creation. Even the vehicle manufactures don't buy into it anymore.

I don't think the diesel needs MORE maintenance, just a different type of it.

I'm doing 7,500 mile oil changes on my '03 Cummins Ram, and that's the "heavy duty" use cycle which I'm certainly not doing with the truck.

The thing, it seems to me, is that one bad tank of diesel can cause trouble. I carry TWO spare fuel filters and the tools to change it with me always.

I refuel at truckstops. If they had lousy fuel, the truckers would be talking about it, and they wouldn't be there.

I NEVER refuel at little mom and pop places that have the diesel pump around back, and I try to always refuel between a quarter and a half tank remaining.

Those are my only concessions to my diesel. The rest of time, I pony it around to my heart's content. These engines were designed to run and pull, and it's not a shame to admit that they can be fun.

(Think of that the next time some little Asian car with an exhaust pipe that sounds like flatulence annoys you.)

Hi, Over59,

I never forget it's back there. Otherwise, my truck doesn't ride so smooth.

Lamar
You are correct in that the maintenance is different. From everything I am reading the fuel filter is key to good performance, or said another way. bad fuel will ruin your day. Anyone using one of the dual filter setups? I'm thinking that might be the best money I spend toward keeping the engine purring.

Greg
Old 08-30-2006, 10:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I don't currently use a dual filter setup, but I have considered it. This, by the way, is what my computer read this evening, on the way home from eating dinner.

Frederic

Sorry for the double post.....this daggone website gave me the old, "This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 20 seconds". That is so frustrating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MPG.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	25391  

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:07 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
WOW. That is some serious mpg.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:26 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
All of a sudden my 14000 mile duramax is putting out 17.5+ mpg on the short country drive to the office. Solid 15 mpg at 60 towing. The big problem is you will forget the trailer is back there, that can be a real big problem going around corners, into parking lots, gas stations, ect. I find the tow mode helpful going down hills and approaching stops. Otherwise on the Interstate the Allsion is in drive and very happy.
Its not uncommon for diesels to become more efficient after the brake-in period. My last two have done the same.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:43 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I've got 3 years and 40,000 miles on my 03 Dmax. Not one problem so far, only been back to the dealer for recalls on the tailgate cables and fuel filter.

I have added a Caterpillar fuel filter between the fuel tank and OEM filter. I also have a propane fumigation system on mine. I can go about 850 miles between fillups with 33 gallons of propane and 26 gallons of diesel.

I am also running biodiesel for added lubricity. When ULSD hits the pumps, everyone should be running at least 2% biodiesel or some kind of lubricity additive.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:02 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Pick, tell me more about the propane thing. Have not heard about it.

Greg