Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #1

Hope , Idaho
hybrid

know of any hybrid vehicles that cld pull a 28 ft. flying cloud? anyone using a hybrid to tow anything? thanks.
helen miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
Aluminitus Carrier

1968 26' Overlander
south lake tahoe , California
Send a message via Skype™ to lovingtahoe
There are members in our unit that tow a new (07-09, not sure) Bambi with a Toyota Highlander Hybrid.

WBCCI - #4066 / Sierra Nevada Unit 157
TAC - # CA-9
South Lake Tahoe, California
lovingtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The only vehicle even close to handling a 28' was a hybrid Tahoe/Yukon that GM introduced about a year ago. In reality there wasn't much difference in the mpg for the hybrid, probably in part due to it having a 6 liter 332hp V8 (even though it could shut off 4 cylinders). Most of the economy was due to a 3.08 final drive ratio -- not good at all for towing. They sold very few of them and have discontinued the model. That's an orphan situation that speaks for itself.

Dodge had plans to introduce a hybrid version of the Durango in Fall '08 but I'd wonder if they even had the money to bring it to market.

Realize that hybrids never operate on battery alone when you have the air conditioner running. And the heater too? I dunno. Towing certainly is going to cut into any advantage of a hybrid. Your mileage may vary...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
The hybrid Tahoe did improve fuel economy quite a bit - from 14 mpg to 19 mpg in real world driving (according to Consumer Reports testing.) But the tow capacity is around 6000 lbs - less than a properly optioned non-hybrid Tahoe - which is too low for a 28' FC. As far as I know, they haven't cancelled it (and the Yukon and Escalade variants) yet; they're still planning a Silverado hybrid.

The hybrid Durango/Aspen is the one that was cancelled - it lasted only one month on sale. (They're shutting down the factory that builds them.)
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Okay, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
But the tow capacity is around 6000 lbs - less than a properly optioned non-hybrid Tahoe ...
That's got to be the 3.08 final drive ratio working against it. A 3.41 ratio is not great. I couldn't imagine towing in West Virginia with one of these.

And there are unfinished discussions on whether a heavy modern 28' Airstream needs a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton to tow it. My more pleasurable appointment to stick my finger in a pencil sharpener awaits...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
If you really want a Hybrib I would wait for Honda or Toyota to put one out that will tow it. But I doubt they will. You don't improve the millage all that much with such a big SUV.

and I still say they aren't very GREEN. All those batteries are not very environmentally friendly.

The Greenest car out there. The one with the most recycled material in it, it the mini cooper. Plus it gets 38 mpg at 80mph over the colorado rockies. My neighbor has one. It's not very big though. He also has a Suburban for towing.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Hybrids are pretty strange to me. The Highlander has a gas engine and two electric motors (please notice specific use of italicized words as were told to me by a very smart mechanic years ago). I guess it's the motors that propel it and the engine that charges the batteries. But maybe not. I'm not sure whether the ratings for the motors are comparable to what we're used to in terms of HP and torque for engines. Do motors react differently to the stresses of towing?

I don't think we'll see a 3/4 ton hybrid any time soon. Maybe a 1/2 ton though. I wonder all that stuff goes in a pickup? The Highlander isn't even a truck, but is a crossover, thus just a big car. Although it has marginally better gas mileage than a nonhybrid Highlander or a 4Runner (which is build on a truck chassis), it was mainly increased performance that they were building it for. So, if you would tow with a Camry (which also has a hybrid version), you can tow with a Highlander.

I wonder if hybrids use deep cycle batteries? Maybe they would be good for extended boondocking?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Check this out:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...rid_auto_shows

Fuel mileage is probably not much improved while towing but Dodge claims about 40% better in town and about 20% better highway vs. non-hybrid Hemi when not towing. Chrysler sales training said that because of the premium for the hybrid, about $5000+, they only make sense if at least 50% of your driving is city and gasoline stays above $4 a gallon. Chrysler, GM and BMW are sharing this technology.
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Although it has marginally better gas mileage than a nonhybrid Highlander or a 4Runner (which is build on a truck chassis), it was mainly increased performance that they were building it for. So, if you would tow with a Camry (which also has a hybrid version), you can tow with a Highlander.
The hybrid Highlander does improve fuel economy quite a bit - 24 vs 19 overall, IIRC. Keep in mind that the "normal" Highlander uses Toyota's 3.5-liter, while the hybrid currently uses the 3.3-liter. In the last gen Highlander, the hybrid was indeed a faster "performance" hybrid since both used the 3.3-liter. Now they're about par.

A friend has towed with a RX400h. The hybrid's torque is quite nice.

As an aside, the Camry hybrid is a four-cylinder vs. the Highlander's V6.

Quote:
I wonder if hybrids use deep cycle batteries? Maybe they would be good for extended boondocking?
GM built a handful of hybrid last-generation Silverados with a hybrid drivetrain. Most of them went to fleets. One neat feature - they had an inverter so that contractors could plug tools in instead of a generator.
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:25 AM   #10
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
08 Toyota Highlander Hybrid is 3500 # tow capacity, requires tow package
08 Lexus RX400H has the same tow capacity 3500 #
08 Chevy/GMC Tahoe/Yukon 1500 Hybrid 4X2 w/ 6.0l v8 rated for 6200

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-15-2009, 06:20 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by helen miller View Post
know of any hybrid vehicles that cld pull a 28 ft. flying cloud? anyone using a hybrid to tow anything? thanks.
None that I am aware of from today's offerings. I do know a few folks towing 16' and 19' trailers with hybrids, but a 16' and a 19' are a whole different beast than a 28'.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingtahoe View Post
There are members in our unit that tow a new (07-09, not sure) Bambi with a Toyota Highlander Hybrid.
My daughters new Highlander Hybrid is rated to pull up to 1000#. Sounds like somebody is over the edge.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #13
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
For hybrids, GM has the Tahoe (as noted), and a 1/2 ton pick me up. Chrysler has the SUV (Durango?) these would be your best bets but I still would not want to tow a 28 with ANY 1/2 ton.

Another option to consider is deezul; much better economy both towing and not. And cleaner than gas...
With a 28', you are very much in 3/4 ton territory.

Stick with the domestics, much better suited to towing...and better for our Country.

God Bless America.
Apple Pie-Chevrolet-AirStream; All born in the USA,

Bill
(born July 4th-IN AMERICA)