Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas

This is the template used to overlay the picture of a car/truck to determine how or where some aerodynamic changes could help reduce fuel burn (reduce horsepower demand). It has no superior.

Where to "chop off" that long tail for normal practicality is the end of numerous discussions.

One might say that, the farther from this, the uglier when it comes to "sleek and sexy" in re TV's pulling an A/S.

Where a combination rig can be as closely coupled as a tractor/trailer then the combined pair take this appearance.

Even the Chinese couldn't be persuaded to buy the Hummer manufacturing equipment (if you've seen how ugly are some of the others roaming their roads at present).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
The comment about Toyota and diesels.. In any other country they have some of the best diesels made.. Its our chicken s--T govt EPA,, and totally unreal goals..

I have a friend down under with a Toyota FJ,, 6 cyl diesel and he gets over 30mpg.. Mine with the wimpy v6 Gasser will see 20 but very seldom on the highway.

Germany and most of Europe started the clean air movement long before us,, but when they got to the point it was going to hurt fuel mileage they sat back and looked at the WHOLE PICTURE and found a happy balance with a "let see if we need to do more later".. They have 50mpg cars and we are stuck with mid 20s... Go figure.. who runs this country anyway?

Now apply this to our tow wagons the effects add up fast.. I had a 1994 Dodge Cummins with a auto trans.. I did not even keep track of fuel performance as it was always above 25mpg.. My 98 dropped to 17 mpg till I spent $1000s and chipped it up the able to see 20mpg.. All my friends with 2011 and 2012 Rams are happy with 13 to 15 mpg. Right, not happy..

If our EPA would stop the "mother may I game" and stop charging $000,000.00 to test and clear just 1 engine model,, and test again with another platform we would have diesel option in anything sold in the show room today,.. And if the standards were backed off to real world needs,, we could pull our Airstreams all day long and get in the mid 20s mpg.

Now,, try feeding a large farm tractor that uses 150 gallons of diesel a day.. I have a 1990 model tractor that can farm 4 acres on 1 gallon of fuel.. A new tractor with the same draw bar hp,, now can only farm 1.5 acres per gallon.. Starting this year we now have to add 1 gallon of urea to squirt into the muffler for every 4 gallons of fuel,, It by the way costs an extra $4.44 a gallon... AND we cant get it all the time so when the EPA smog Urea tank is empty the tractor will not run..

They are slowly killing us.. Think I'm on a soap box,, talk with a trucker right now,! Mid 90s we had full sized semi's pulling 40 tons getting 10mpg on a good day, ,Now at best 4.5 to 5 mpg.. And we wonder why food costs so much.. Here's your sign, !

Sodbust.

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbust View Post
Germany and most of Europe started the clean air movement long before us,, but when they got to the point it was going to hurt fuel mileage they sat back and looked at the WHOLE PICTURE and found a happy balance with a "let see if we need to do more later".. They have 50mpg cars and we are stuck with mid 20s... Go figure.. who runs this country anyway?
Sodbust.
Should be obvious since we stopped enforcing anti-trust laws.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:

Now apply this to our tow wagons the effects add up fast.. I had a 1994 Dodge Cummins with a auto trans.. I did not even keep track of fuel performance as it was always above 25mpg.. My 98 dropped to 17 mpg till I spent $1000s and chipped it up the able to see 20mpg.. All my friends with 2011 and 2012 Rams are happy with 13 to 15 mpg. Right, not happy..

If our EPA would stop the "mother may I game" and stop charging $000,000.00 to test and clear just 1 engine model,, and test again with another platform we would have diesel option in anything sold in the show room today,.. And if the standards were backed off to real world needs,, we could pull our Airstreams all day long and get in the mid 20s mpg.

Now,, try feeding a large farm tractor that uses 150 gallons of diesel a day.. I have a 1990 model tractor that can farm 4 acres on 1 gallon of fuel.. A new tractor with the same draw bar hp,, now can only farm 1.5 acres per gallon.. Starting this year we now have to add 1 gallon of urea to squirt into the muffler for every 4 gallons of fuel,, It by the way costs an extra $4.44 a gallon... AND we cant get it all the time so when the EPA smog Urea tank is empty the tractor will not run..

They are slowly killing us.. Think I'm on a soap box,, talk with a trucker right now,! Mid 90s we had full sized semi's pulling 40 tons getting 10mpg on a good day, ,Now at best 4.5 to 5 mpg.. And we wonder why food costs so much.. Here's your sign, !

Sodbust.
Sometimes I think all the people with any common sence stayed in Europe.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Go figure.. who runs this country anyway?
It's not who but what. It is the demand and thirst of North Americans who have/want the biggest/heaviest RV's and TV's on the planet. When the demand & dollars are there supplies will be provided.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
It would almost be a sin to pull a beautiful airstream with one of those things...
Yup! It's just wrong. Wally wouldn't approve either. No no no
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hummer and Airstream.JPG
Views:	1175
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	155745  
Old 04-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #27
VNO

1975 Argosy 24
Germantown , Tennessee
I happen to love the Hummers. As an analyst, I wondered why they even sell in the US in cities, nonetheless. You never need to go offroad for the most part. Everyone you see driving them live in populated areas. They get bad gas mileage. They aren't particularly luxurious, and their aerodynamics are nonexistent.

I had to go to my marketing resource, Clotaire Rapaille, and he researched this very topic. Turns out the code for Hummer is something like "powerful". It's big, therefore it transmits messages of safety, and that taps into our reptilian neurobiological desire to protect offspring.

(FYI - it's Sunday, I am tired of looking at cars, and I find marketing ruses particularly interesting. Thought you all might too). Now, I am back to finding an '03 - '06 Dodge 5.7 liter diesel.
Eaglemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Check out todays article in NYT about Lincoln revival in Business:

" . . our potential customers regard themselves -- in an idealized state -- as magicians transcending barriers of time & space" (barely paraphrased).

F'n hilarious

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
So - what is the final verdict with the original poster and towing with his H2?
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #30
VNO

1975 Argosy 24
Germantown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Check out todays article in NYT about Lincoln revival in Business:

" . . our potential customers regard themselves -- in an idealized state -- as magicians transcending barriers of time & space" (barely paraphrased).

F'n hilarious

Hahaha! See what I mean? Hoo doo.
Eaglemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:22 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Sometimes I think all the people with any common sence stayed in Europe.
It may be that people with common sense here are out numbered.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"FYI - it's Sunday, I am tired of looking at cars, and I find marketing ruses particularly interesting. Thought you all might too). Now, I am back to finding an '03 - '06 Dodge 5.7 liter diesel. "

From my point of view, good choice. We have 102,000 on our 07, 5.9 Dodge diesel. Maybe 40,000 of it towing. I sorta like the looks of the Hummers. But the Dodge diesel is a better tow choice in my opinion. You could put a light bar and a front end guard or something on it if you want it more Hummer like. 14 or so towing. 19 or so empty. Ours is 4wd, but is not a truck I would want to drive off road much. To heavy, too stiff, and I keep highway AS tire on it for towing.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #33
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I read in the OP that he already has the Hummer. I'd sure give it a try with the 27' and suspect it would work.

While its not my type, I think it will eventually be a classic. It represents an element of its times very well.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote