Old 06-10-2006, 09:53 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazz300
I appreciate everybody's input thus far. It is amazing to me how there are so many different answers when it comes to tow vehicles. The truck I'm looking at says it has a towing capacity of 9000 lbs; and 9900 with a weight distribution hitch.

My trailer weighs in @ around 5400. I can see if I was pulling a 30 footer I would need more power. I also realize it is better to err on the "bigger is better" side but "overkill" comes into play also.

I need a dual purpose vehicle for daily driving and towing. Needless to say I am a little confused at this point.

Thanks for all your help.

Ron
You asked a very simple question , unfortunately the answer is not quit so simple .

1. All F150's are not born equal , you need to be more specific as to the wheel base , no. of doors ,suspension package , etc. They have different tow ratings and weights.

2. Using dry weight and curb weight is unrealistic , the TV and trailer will never weight that little ready to go camping. I usually find that my trailer is close to the GVWR ready to go. The only real way to know this is to have it weighed.

3. The ratings given by the mfg's can be misleading . Keep in mind that all the criterior must be meet . You cannot go over the tow rating the GVWR , the GCWR , the tongue rating or the tire and axel rating. As an example , if the GCWR of your TV is 15000# and your actual TV weight is 7000# there will be 8000# remaining for trailer weight, even though your tow rating may say 9000#.

You really need to do the calculations for your specific equipment . Keep in mind that most people don't feel comfortable being at the max. Good luck

Old 06-10-2006, 02:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Ah, Ha! I Think I see the Problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazz300
I appreciate everybody's input thus far. It is amazing to me how there are so many different answers when it comes to tow vehicles. The truck I'm looking at says it has a towing capacity of 9000 lbs; and 9900 with a weight distribution hitch.

My trailer weighs in @ around 5400. I can see if I was pulling a 30 footer I would need more power. I also realize it is better to err on the "bigger is better" side but "overkill" comes into play also.

I need a dual purpose vehicle for daily driving and towing. Needless to say I am a little confused at this point.

Thanks for all your help.

Ron
Ron your Airstream does not weigh in around 5400#. Please erase that number from your calculations. Go back to Post #19 and read carefully. Airstream does not include what they call "Optional Equipment Variable Weights" in the "dry weight." You must add a laundry list of things according to your trailers configuration. On my Airstream, I have to add the AC, STeps, BAL jacks, Entertainment Group, Front Travel Lounge, LP Tanks, Microwave, Spare tire Bracket, Spare Tire. Front jack, and Holding Tanks (Empty).

On top of this you must add water, propane, clothing, food, dishes, etc.

As Ticki2 has correctly advised, your real weight will be closer to the GVWR.

I have been towing travel trailers of one kind or another since 1976. I have owned an F-150 Ford, a full-sized Plymouth Van, a Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbo-Diesel, three Suburbans, and at present a Chevy 2500 HD Duramax. In the past thirty years, I have never heard folks around the campfire at night reminiscing about the day's drive say, "Darn, I wish I had a less powerful tow vehicle."

Good luck in your calculations.

Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 04:06 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Although more power is always better, the 2004+ Ford F150 5.4L has 300 hp and 365 ft/lb of torque which does a good job. Note that the "new" F150 gained weight, which offsets some of the power gain. But the weight gain is good for towing... helps reduce that "tail wagging the dog" feeling.

The HP number is much better than earlier Ford V8's of similar displacement...

1992-1996 - 5.0 L Windsor V8, FI, 185 hp
1992-1996 - 5.8 L Windsor V8, FI, 210 hp
1995-1998 - 5.4 L Triton V8, 235 hp/330 ft.lbf
1999-2003 - 5.4 L Triton V8, 260 hp/350 ft.lbf

Therefore, comparisons with prior F150 experiences may be invalid.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:17 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Ken,

This subject of optional items being included or excluded in the weights supplied by Airstream is an interesting one. I wonder if your information is based on old and superceded practices. The weight certificate for our 2006 Airstream lists the weights of all optional items. Not a one is omitted.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 04:52 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
Ken,

This subject of optional items being included or excluded in the weights supplied by Airstream is an interesting one. I wonder if your information is based on old and superceded practices. The weight certificate for our 2006 Airstream lists the weights of all optional items. Not a one is omitted.
You are quite right, marketing practices have varied across the decades. The example I gave was from the two '76 Airstreams I owned. My 2000 Safari 27' was not nearly as absurd in what they did and did not include in the "factory weight" as Airstream calls it. My concern for Nazz300 is that he not base this very costly decision on an unrealistic weight that has not been verified. As has been said on this thread, the very best way is to pack it like you intend to use it, and then put it on the scales. I would guess that Nazz will find that he is towing a loaded Airstream that weighs at least 7000#

Glad to hear that Ford is marketing an F-150 with that kind of HP and torque. I'm sure it is a great tow vehicle for some Airstreams. I fear Nazz may be right at the cross over point. As I mentioned, we have two 25' Airstreams in our unit, and my old 23' that I sold to some new members. Two have found it necessary to upgrade tow vehicles; one from a 5.7L to an 8.1 L Yukon and the other from a 5.7L Tahoe to a V-10 Excursion. The third is keeping his F-150 Ford Triton since he just bought a new one, but his is unhappy on the hills. Admittedly, we all carry too much gear and too many tools in our trucks, but that is a different issue and a different thread.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 05:12 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
If you read the fine print in the Dodge owner's manual, it says that the gross weight INCLUDES an allowance of 350 pounds or so for the driver, passenger and gear. I wonder if other manufacturers do this too. If not, then other adjustments might have to be made when comparing one vehicle with another. Not a big deal, but interesting I think.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 06-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Can I throw another question onto this small fire?
What differences would you guess in fuel mileage ( yikes, sorry!) between say a late 90's F150 gas and an F250 7.3 diesel. Consider extended or preferably crew cab type 2 wheel drive. I will have to pay a lot more to get the diesel model, but the life expectancy would be a big factor for choosing that also.
No trailer yet, but I would expect 5000-6000 lbs will be towed.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 05:55 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
Ken,

That is the way it should be done , good news. Can you tell us what your weight certificate reads since it's almost the same as Nazz.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:38 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
I don't have the certificate in front of me, but if memory serves it is about 5,400 pounds including spare tire, jack, and solar panels, all the typical LS stuff plus the solar.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 06-10-2006, 08:18 PM   #38
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
Two have found it necessary to upgrade tow vehicles; one from a 5.7L to an 8.1 L Yukon and the other from a 5.7L Tahoe to a V-10 Excursion. The third is keeping his F-150 Ford Triton since he just bought a new one, but his is unhappy on the hills. Admittedly, we all carry too much gear and too many tools in our trucks, but that is a different issue and a different thread.
Good call...there's a lot of "dead" weight in many trailers I have seen. Unneccesary tools, supplies, just stuff that accumulates, because gee, there's empty bins, right?
I towed a 25ft Airstream of 1971 vintage all over the place with a less capable tow vehicle than a new Ford F150 pickup, and it's been a blast.
I do not subscribe to the theory of those that need to do 65 mph up every hill in the continuous US. You're towing, after all.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:19 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Gorham , Maine
Here's some good information on towing.

I had similar questions a few months ago when I realized my 6 cyl jeep wasn't going to do the job with our new Bambi. what vehicle would do the job? Would a bigger SUV tow a Bambi? Or did I need an F250 to do the job? I got a lot of advice (both helpful and not), but the best information anyone gave me was this link:

http://www.rvtowingtips.com/
(thanks to "Roadrunner" on the Car Talk forum)
This site includes a lot of very useful information about sizing a TV to a TT, including excel spreadsheets to calculate horsepower needs and wheelbase. Turned out I had to do some math, but in the end I felt very confident that the vehicle I purchased was safe and would get me where I wanted to go.

David
Old 06-10-2006, 09:51 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Mobile , Alabama
Send a message via AIM to joyegail Send a message via MSN to joyegail Send a message via Yahoo to joyegail
Not sure how to title this except YEAAAA!!!!!

I actually managed to back the Safari into my back yard through my gate, which is about 12 feet wide, but I have another trailer parked very very close to the gate and I have never backed a trailer in my life, other than ones with boats on them, and you can see over those. I am very very proud of myself for actually backing it in and not hitting anything.

I always counted on someone else to do that sort of thing, my Dad, my brother, my husband. Now I'm alone and I have to be able to handle this sort of thing on my own, if I am to actually use this trailer to go camping in.

Anyway, not a huge thing for most of you, but for me, it was very huge. Just have to give myself a pat on the back, since there is no one else here to do it.

Deb
Old 06-10-2006, 11:34 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyegail
I actually managed to back the Safari into my back yard through my gate, which is about 12 feet wide, but I have another trailer parked very very close to the gate and I have never backed a trailer in my life, other than ones with boats on them, and you can see over those. I am very very proud of myself for actually backing it in and not hitting anything.

I always counted on someone else to do that sort of thing, my Dad, my brother, my husband. Now I'm alone and I have to be able to handle this sort of thing on my own, if I am to actually use this trailer to go camping in.

Anyway, not a huge thing for most of you, but for me, it was very huge. Just have to give myself a pat on the back, since there is no one else here to do it.

Deb
Yeaaaaaaaa Deb you go girl!!!
Old 06-11-2006, 07:33 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Went to the co-op and ran the '06 GMC 2500HD 4x4 crew cab with 3/4 of a tank of gas with an '06 25' Safari FB LE packed with booze, food, clothes, etc. across the scales. Total weight was 12,440 pounds, well within the 16,000 pound rating in the manual.

With all due respect to some of the experts here, I would suggest that you do some of your own research, including weighing the tow rig and TV/trailer combo and come to your own conclusions. I bought the GMC after weighing an '03 Navigator and determined that there wasn't a lot of "fudge" factor.....by the same token, there have been more than a few posters that love their Lincolns as TV's.