Old 10-05-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
How's this for a deal...

I just had a call from my oldest son. He's works as a remodeling contractor in Massachusetts and has been looking for a 3/4 ton van. We spoke a week or so ago that I was looking for a new 3/4 ton truck with a bit more testicular fortitude than my GMC G2500. He's proposed a swap, my 2000 G2500 for his 1997 F-250 7.3L Super Duty Powerstroke. His reason for wanting a van is that hauling sheetrock when it's raining is not cool with a pickup, not to mention that he can secure his tools much better in a van.

Fuel economy won't be as good for my daily drive (but I've been considering new rear end gears, so that would have gone down anyway), but would be about the same as I get now, if not a little better, when towing.

My only concern is that while I've driven many diesels in the past, they have all been fleet vehicles - I've never had to deal with maintenance.

For the record, his truck has a Class V receiver and is wired with 7 pin, it just needs a brake controller (no big deal).

Any comments? What would ya'll do...?

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Has he had the 97 since new and done all of the maitenance? What would you value your van at?

Old 10-05-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ristream'n
Has he had the 97 since new and done all of the maitenance? What would you value your van at?
He bought the truck when he got back from his second tour in Iraq about 2 years ago. He's a detail freak about maintenance, so I know it's up to snuff. I'm the same way, regular fluid changes, alignment, etc. His truck probably has a little more "book value" than mine, but I've sweetened the pot with a new stereo and ladder racks!

BTW - The F-250 is a 4X2.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 10-05-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Swap it NOW!

You did not mention if it was an extended or super cab. Either one is great. I find the regular cabs too small for my needs....maybe O.K. for you. Change the oil and filters so you have a starting point reference and your on the way. There are no tune ups to deal with and if he took care of it you should have No maintenance problems. One thing...on my 97 F-350 the tranny did give me problems...right after the warranty ran out. Its best to have a 3:73 gearing...most of them did. If your used to the van, look for a topper.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Bob, I'm a Subaru dealer and but we specialize in used vehicles selling about 250-300/month. Both of those vehicles are in demand. The right cargo van and the right diesel pkp are hot. I would have to say that the 97 diesel pkp is probably a bit more desirable especially in that price range. I can fill my lot with diesel pkps for $25k but not in the range of the 97. Go for it. Then you'll both be happy. You can't beat that!!
Old 10-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Looks like it'll be a done deal in a couple of weeks (the earliest I can get up North). Chris was wondering why it took me so long to say yes...

Time to shop for a hitch bar with a lot more drop. Some lighter weight WD bars are in order as well...

TAC - NJ-007

Old 10-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Has he considered a cap on a pickup? My cap has side tool storage bins.

I can slide lots of sheetrock between the wheel wells and tools in the bins.

A.R.E. : Manufacturer of fiberglass pick-up truck caps, tops, toppers, camper shells, canopies, hard tonneau covers, work caps and truck accessories. CX series.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Has he considered a cap on a pickup? My cap has side tool storage bins.

I can slide lots of sheetrock between the wheel wells and tools in the bins.

A.R.E. : Manufacturer of fiberglass pick-up truck caps, tops, toppers, camper shells, canopies, hard tonneau covers, work caps and truck accessories. CX series.
Yeah, I was looking at caps earlier, but I'm afraid it may be a moot point. Chris called a little while ago, he was in an accident about an hour ago (everyone is OK, and he was found not to be at fault). When an F-250 meets a Lexus, the F-250 wins. He was driving on Boston Road in Billerica, Mass when a young girl pulled out of a side street without slowing down or looking - he T-boned her. She was lucky she didn't get hurt, but her car is totaled and the front end of the truck is pretty bashed up. He was able to drive it home, but it needs some front end sheet metal. Everything now hinges on the insurance companies - if they agree to fix the truck (they probably will), we're still going to do the swap. If not and he get's a settlement check, he'll wind up buying a van. There is always the possibility of buying the truck back from the insurance company, but then it gets a salvage title which is a PITA to deal with on an interstate transfer.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 10-05-2007, 08:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Ouch