Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
1959 24' Tradewind
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Northeast , Iowa
Thanks for the great inputs. We'll get the 4WD for our firewood cutting trips through the woods (we heat our house with wood, so we get lots of firewood).
18" wheels, crewcab (also have a big dog), leaning toward the shorter bed.

Nobody seems too concerned about the DEF or the exhaust temps while cleaning the exhaust filter--non-issue, or maybe not much experience out there with it?
epperp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:11 PM   #22
_

. , .
dpf is on all the new D trucks, can't be escaped.

DEF is on all but the dodge and also on vw, merc, bmw and so on.

so it's not u can OPT to buy new without these things.

and there is more emissions stuff coming in 2 years.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #23
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
First thing I'd do is change it to a 350...and a LB...and yes; 17" wheels.

Tow pkg (of course) brake control, in bed 7 pin plug, deezul, largest fuel tank, sunroof (cause I like em'), winter package, auto trans, locking diffs, whatever bling you like/need, 4 doors, training wheels on the back, 4wd...er 6wd ,...might even get that girlie step ford sells...let DW pick the color...you'll be all set!
Old 10-18-2010, 11:37 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
My tow vehicle is a 2007 F250 4X4 Crew Cab Short Bed with 17" wheels. I get anywhere between 11 and 15 mpg depending on speed, wind an terrain. Also have a SnugTop tall shell on back which keeps stuff dry and keeps all but the most persistent
thieves away. If I take my Yamaha 2400iS generator, I make sure it is chained and covered in the bed just be be sure it does not walk away. If they cannot see it, they are less likely to break in.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Black Nasty Smoke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
You can get it at Flying j for about 6 dollars a gallon. Ford sells it for roughly 12.99 a gallon here. Prices vary everywhere. I also heard most auto part stores carry it. I also heard that in a few places there are "def" pumps. I haven't seen one here in Texas. I think it's a minor annoyance. It beats the black nasty smoke my 7.3 and even my 6.0 produced.

Shane
Not sure why you have black nasty smoke on your 6.0 unless you have a dirty fuel filter. My 6.0 does not smoke when towing unless I put my foot all the way to the floor and even then it is barely visible.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #26
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalzer View Post
Not sure why you have black nasty smoke on your 6.0 unless you have a dirty fuel filter. My 6.0 does not smoke when towing unless I put my foot all the way to the floor and even then it is barely visible.

Dennis
It would be "had"...traded on a 6.7.

I had it chipped.

Even before and after the chip.. when starting in the garage it would throw black exhaust on the shelves close to the pipe.

Or racing a Mustang, or something....

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #27
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
I'd vote 17 or 18 inch tires. Drive Axle[s] Limited Slip (or locker) is mandatory. Longbed with HD cover (either bed topper or tonneau type). I find no need for 4WD (initial cost, maintenance, repairs) so I'd recommend plenty of contemplation on that option (as proper E-range tires and some bed weight cover most contingencies).

Good luck

Unless Ford has changed the limited slip from mechanical to electronic. Avoid the Limited slip. It's worthless. I installed a ARB air locker.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:36 AM   #28
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
I find no need for 4WD (initial cost, maintenance, repairs) so I'd recommend plenty of contemplation on that option.
I am curious; Every once in a while I hear someone mention the maintenance, repairs” associated with 4wd….I have driven 4wd vehicles since 1971, everything from CJ5’s to Suburban’s, use the 4wd enough to justify it (skiing, New England winters, occasional logging roads in Maine/NH) and have never once had a 4wd failure. Yes there is some initial expense (less than a tow out in the backcountry!) and gear lube should be topped off occasionally (50k miles), you may lose ~ 1mpg, but I have never, not once, had to spend any significant amount of time or money repairing or maintaining 4wd.

My experience has been quite the opposite; I can’t imagine owning a truck that is not 4wd.

Can you explain your cost and maintenance experience with 4wd?

I am wondering if I have missed something all these years…

Tx, Bill
Old 10-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #29
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
I am curious; Every once in a while I hear someone mention the maintenance, repairs” associated with 4wd….I have driven 4wd vehicles since 1971, everything from CJ5’s to Suburban’s, use the 4wd enough to justify it (skiing, New England winters, occasional logging roads in Maine/NH) and have never once had a 4wd failure. Yes there is some initial expense (less than a tow out in the backcountry!) and gear lube should be topped off occasionally (50k miles), you may lose ~ 1mpg, but I have never, not once, had to spend any significant amount of time or money repairing or maintaining 4wd.

My experience has been quite the opposite; I can’t imagine owning a truck that is not 4wd.

Tx, Bill
In general, my experience has been the same. However, there are more parts (transfer case, front diff, drive shaft, locking hubs, etc) and the wheel bearings, front suspension, etc, are significantly more difficult and expensive to work on with 4wd.

I like to go places off the beaten track, ski, etc, so the additional costs over the life of the vehicle are well worth it to me. At the same time, leather seats, etc, doesn't seem the right choice for a truck... to others, it may be completely different - which is why modern trucks are available w/ such a wide variety of options.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #30
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
I

Tx, Bill
Here is western MT is you want a two wheel drive pickup you will likely have to order it. Most trucks come with wheel drive "standard".

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #31
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
Here is western MT is you want a two wheel drive pickup you will likely have to order it. Most trucks come with wheel drive "standard".

Yeah, same here...walk on any dealer's lot and the majority of trucks are 4wd.

Maybe not so in Texas?

I have heard this claim before about 4wd being unreliable, and I have to say...I don't know anyone that has had trouble with 4wd...and as mentioned...there is lots of it 'round here.
In my younger days we did lots of jeepin and hunting. We would drive our jeeps 500 mi up to Northern Maine, run around the woods all week hunting deer, drive back home, hose out the jeep and be at work on Monday. Did this for years with jeeps, landcrusiers, old power wagons...never had a 4wd issue...and we were in mud up to the floor boards in Maine...some real nasty stuff.

I am just wondering what issues others may have had that has sworn them off 4wd...

B
Old 10-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #32
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The first question would be how long does one own the truck? And over how many miles? Non-Airstream towing miles are out of consideration here.

The transfer case, constant-velocity joints, etc of 4WD-specific parts have a component life which is not as long as the truck (assuming it actually gets used as a 4WD). Ball joints, u-joints, steering components, springs (attaching points), shocks, etc all wear sooner than on a 2WD. In the meantime greater time while on the rack -- fluid changes, adjustments -- mean more $$ in skilled mechanical inspection.

Tires alone don't last as long. I got 120k out of the first set of tires. I don't regularly see 4WD owners having tires or brakes last nearly as long, maybe one-third to one-half. Fuel burn is always worse.

Ride is also worse, as is steering precision & feel, handling, and center-of-gravity on a 4WD all of which contributes to being a worse TV.

Cost-per-mile of operation on a 2WD is lower than with 4WD well before 200k miles is achieved in fuel use/tire cost alone, and then greatly so once the drivetrain starts to call for being rebuilt. Couple that to the initial added expense and 2WD is miles ahead.

Since pulling a travel trailer is the ostensible reason for purchase of a pickup truck in this thread then 4WD is low on the list of considerations for necessary equipment. It's barely on the horizon in most cases. Airstreams are not offroad vehicles in any sense, nor are they winter vehicles, etc.

The miles are all on-road. If I have to make a wrecker call I can probably do so 30, 40, 50 times before I meet the 4WD cost. And a change in tires and a rear locker would probably do 90% of that.

4WD only adds unnecessary equipment, reduces payload, worsens road manners & ride, and makes a more expensive but worse performing vehicle even more so but a fair number of miles down the road all for a convenience, not a necessity.

Choose the trailer first, as that recommendation goes, then spec the TV second, and as carefully. Others will do as they will but it makes no sense to me to have the best performing travel trailers coupled to the worst specification truck (itself the worst road vehicle) when the miles are on the road, not off.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
I think 4WD and an electronic locker would be most welcome when pulling a heavy boat out of a lake when the ramp is steep and very slippery. If the truck is used only for pulling an Airstream on the highway, the 2WD is fine.
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #34
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
..........Airstreams are not offroad vehicles in any sense, nor are they winter vehicles, etc............

Your Kidding right?

You had me hook line and sinker until that statement.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f492...age-43739.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f492...res-48610.html

I'm kidding....

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 10-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #35
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
On the 4wd subject, Worth every Penny. I have boondocked and will boondock. Padre Island is on the list. I wouldn't do it without 4wd. On our trip to Buffalo Point S.P, got Drowned in Riverbed rock. If it wasn't for 4wd, It would have cost me 100's of dollars to get towed out.

Better to have then have not.

Plus I do a lot of hunting and sometimes it's in the middle of a pasture,if it rains YOUR STUCK!!!

Not to mention Frost on the roads in the mountains from fog/mist..., that can occur at almost anytime. Depending on altitude.

As stated better to have than have not.

opinions vary.
Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 10-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #36
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
The first question would be how long does one own the truck? And over how many miles? Non-Airstream towing miles are out of consideration here.
Hmmm...although we do use our truck primarily as a TV, or TC hauler, it does venture out once camp is established. And many of these adventures require 4wd in our case...so I cannot say our truck is used ONLY for towing...that wouldn't be accurate.

Quote:
The transfer case, constant-velocity joints, etc of 4WD-specific parts have a component life which is not as long as the truck (assuming it actually gets used as a 4WD). Ball joints, u-joints, steering components, springs (attaching points), shocks, etc all wear sooner than on a 2WD. In the meantime greater time while on the rack -- fluid changes, adjustments -- mean more $$ in skilled mechanical inspection.
Good point, now that you mention it, I did have to replace u-j's in a 79 CJ5 that was heavily modded and lifted!

Quote:
Tires alone don't last as long. I got 120k out of the first set of tires. I don't regularly see 4WD owners having tires or brakes last nearly as long, maybe one-third to one-half. Fuel burn is always worse.
The best I ever did was 80k on a set of RH AT's...but I replaced because the sidewalls were getting cupped...there was still tread on them. Didn't know 2wd would extend tire life that far...

Quote:
Ride is also worse, as is steering precision & feel, handling, and center-of-gravity on a 4WD all of which contributes to being a worse TV.
I never thought any truck had good road feel, or handling. Guess this is subjective...

Quote:
Cost-per-mile of operation on a 2WD is lower than with 4WD well before 200k miles is achieved in fuel use/tire cost alone, and then greatly so once the drivetrain starts to call for being rebuilt. Couple that to the initial added expense and 2WD is miles ahead.
Agree, you give up a whopping 1mpg with 4wd.

Quote:
Since pulling a travel trailer is the ostensible reason for purchase of a pickup truck in this thread then 4WD is low on the list of considerations for necessary equipment. It's barely on the horizon in most cases. Airstreams are not offroad vehicles in any sense, nor are they winter vehicles, etc
See above. I can't say we ever needed 4wd while under tow, except for a slippery campsite or two...but after reaching camp and heading out...definitely.

Quote:
The miles are all on-road. If I have to make a wrecker call I can probably do so 30, 40, 50 times before I meet the 4WD cost. And a change in tires and a rear locker would probably do 90% of that.
Ever get more than 25 miles from pavement? You don't want to know what a tow cost out there. And road side coverage...doesn't.
I alway order the locking diff with 4wd...and there have been many times, the locking rear end was NOT getting us out...

Quote:
4WD only adds unnecessary equipment, reduces payload, worsens road manners & ride, and makes a more expensive but worse performing vehicle even more so but a fair number of miles down the road all for a convenience, not a necessity.
Convenience? I guess it really depends on your requirements.

Buy enough truck, and you will have plenty of payload. If you are that close on capacity...you are sure to have other issues than the added weight of 4 wd.

Quote:
Choose the trailer first, as that recommendation goes, then spec the TV second
Absolutely.

Thanks for trying to explain that comment about the hassle of 4wd, although, I don't see where actually had problems with 4wd?
What brand/vintage gave you trouble?

I guess if you frequent the RV resorts you may not need 4wd?

Perhaps it is a snowbelt/boondock thing?

In either case, I always check 4wd off on the menu...
Old 10-19-2010, 11:14 PM   #37
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
This photo was taken on our first Airstream camping trip....
Picasa Web Albums - Barbie - Tin Pickle Ai...

I sure was happy to have 4wd coming out of this canyon... 12% grade dirt road.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:44 AM   #38
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
I did some market research and there are areas of the country where the volume of 4wd vehicles sold is relatively low. The Texas coast/Florida areas would be an example...so it becomes easier to see why some one who lives in those areas might not have experience with, or feel the need for 4wd. Particularly if they leave their paved driveway, tow down a nice freeway, and pull into a nice paved RV resort.

While others, like the OP, live where snow is a frequent climatological bonus, have a need for, and likely have experience with 4wd vehicles. Or those of us who like to find adventure down a long remote "road".

So, location could play a factor in this decision, particlularly if you don't venture far from your home region.

I think it's one of those things; you may not need it often...but when you need it...you need it real bad! Here in the North East, DW and I both have 4wd vehicles...and they both get used...some times more than we would like!

B
Old 10-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #39
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
I did some market research and there are areas of the country where the volume of 4wd vehicles sold is relatively low. The Texas coast/Florida areas would be an example...so it becomes easier to see why some one who lives in those areas might not have experience with, or feel the need for 4wd. Particularly if they leave their paved driveway, tow down a nice freeway, and pull into a nice paved RV resort.
Oh there's no end of 4wd's down here. The ranchers, oilmen and others contend with slippery clay and all sorts of stuff. It's a business requirement. The beaches are a whole other world.

Quote:
I never thought any truck had good road feel, or handling. Guess this is subjective...
If it were subjective then detroit wouldn't bother with it. You've obviously not driven one with a vehicle in tow, nor to mention solo. IFS, rack&pinion and lower COG make a far better road vehicle (among trucks).

As to paved roads, yes, probably 99% of trips by 95% of people pulling an Airstream meet that definition. That is the point.

4WD penalty is greater than 1 mpg. 2-5 is more like it. All aspects of 4WD ownership entail higher costs beginning, middle and end of life. On average and in main. There's your market research.

Since you all want personal anecdote I've known -- quite well -- those who have pulled this trailer type for decades. Coast-to-coast, Canada and Mexico. Never felt the lack of 4WD. Neither have I. If I want to go offroad the trailer won't be going with me.

Quote:
While others, like the OP, live where snow is a frequent climatological bonus, have a need for, and likely have experience with 4wd vehicles. Or those of us who like to find adventure down a long remote "road".
But with this trailer we are neither in the snow nor offroad for the vast majority of owners. There are always a few that may wish to do otherwise, but it proves nothing by itself.

It's still only a expensive convenience.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:07 AM   #40

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I think it boils down to the climate you expect to deal with, as BillTex and others have stated. My dad (native Texan mechanic) was never interested in 4WD. I never thought it was something I'd need in a truck and just saw it as an extra expense... until we realized that there's a good chance we may be sent somewhere that has winter when my partner matches for his residency next March. If we end up in Iowa or Delaware or Maine, a 2WD truck would be a pain in the butt in that other season that we don't get here in Texas... what do y'all Yankees call it again? The one that comes after fall and before spring, you know the one I mean...

This is assuming that it would be useful to have a truck when it's cold, not that I'd be using an Airstream much in that sort of weather.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote