Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
How to...trailer/ truck connection

On this newer truck we have, there is only a flat plug at the rear bumper.
I need to switch to the six hole plug or adapter so we can hook up the Airstream. Somebody talk to me about where to purchase, what to purchase, and how to install this upgrade. Thanks, Bill
Old 02-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
What is this "newer" truck?
Old 02-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
It is a 1996 Ford F250 with what I think is called a tow package underneath the bumper area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0653.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	151285  
Old 02-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If it has the factory tow package it should have a socket for the standard round 7 pin connector. It should look like this.

Pollak Black Plastic, 7-Pole, RV-Style Trailer Socket - Vehicle End Pollak Wiring PK12707

The plug for it looks like this.

Pollak Black Plastic, 7-Pole, RV-Style Trailer Connector - Trailer End Pollak Wiring PK12706

If you have only the 4 pin flat plug you are going to need a brake controller and run lines for that as well. Most trucks are already wired for this. You can probably call a dealer and give them the VIN and they can tell you what it came with .

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
mhmm...ok I will go to our ford dealer today and ask. Thanks for the links. !
Old 02-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anywhairstream
It is a 1996 Ford F250 with what I think is called a tow package underneath the bumper area.
As perryg114 said, check with a local Ford dealer to see what they can tell you. If you follow the 4-pin connector cable forward to the frame member you may see where it plugs onto a larger cable. My '02 came with the 4-pin installed and a 7-pin kit in a sack under the seat that included everything to make it plug-n-play.

Here's a good description of a retro fit kit, but it appears this one is only for '97 and later. It will give you an idea of what you're looking for. Note the relays that plug into the fuse box in the engine compartment. I don't know if the '96 needs or is provisioned for them.

http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...dy/118242.html

Mine also came with a connector in the harness under the dash just above the accelerator to plug in the brake controller. That would be a big plus if yours has the connector and wiring in place.

This link lists 6 and 7 pin kits for a '96 F250.

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...ector_kit.html

From looking at the enlarged photos, it looks like these adapt the 4-pin to a 6 or 7, but the additional wires may have to be run from the front.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
..........."tow package underneath the bumper area."

Receiver under the bumper, probably installed at delivery, along with the mini-plug to tow a commercial or farm utility trailer.

Inspect the receiver closely, at 16yrs it's time. You should probably consider a class IV if needed.

Replace the wiring connector, check/inspect the harness.

Choose a quality brake controller to complete your new "Tow Package"

Bob
Old 02-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Your truck should be prewired for a 7 pin. Look up under the bumper. The original factory set up on the 7 pin does not match your truck configuration. Now, the connections are standard industry wide. In 1970 Airstream did it's own thing. Unless PO has rewired it you will have to change the wiring connections around for the trailer. It's not a big deal, but a little tedious.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
update- so far I had remembered having a seven pin adapter/converter made for my old 94 Chevy truck, and had it stored in the silverware drawer inside the trailer. I took this and went to Auto zone and got a flat adapter, and rewired it into this former seven pin. Plugged that in with the F250 we have now- and sure nough the lights and blinkers and brake lights and running lights all came on and works fine.
NOW- the wires for the brake controller box were two blue ones I left hanging (for now) and figure, because of the flat adapter that the brake controller box will have to be wired in- in a different way. Here in a minute I will go outside and take a picture of what it looks like so far and you will see what I mean.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up Name change...

Billy,

I missed your "handle" change. Didn't realize who I was posting too.
Glad to read on your blog how much things have changed over the last few years. You have a great story to share and deserve the very best.

Best of luck and continued success.

Bob
Old 02-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
OK here's the picture. You can see the two blue wires coming from the seven pin...and as of yet are still not connected to the truck, or a brake control box. Will they have to be wired separate. and/ or what would you do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0122.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	547.5 KB
ID:	152108  
Old 02-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Thanks Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Billy,

I missed your "handle" change. Didn't realize who I was posting too.
Glad to read on your blog how much things have changed over the last few years. You have a great story to share and deserve the very best.

Best of luck and continued success.

Bob
Yes thats us...and we are all still about getting up and on the road in a succesful manner (lord willing) lol. And as usual that's my story, and I ma stickin to it.!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anywhairstream View Post
OK here's the picture. You can see the two blue wires coming from the seven pin...and as of yet are still not connected to the truck, or a brake control box. Will they have to be wired separate. and/ or what would you do?
Anywhairstream

You should be able to use this link/diagrams to wire directly into the seven pin.

Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

Bob
Old 02-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Follow the factory 4-wire cable seen in the photo back several feet to the frame and see if it hopefully plugs into another cable that has the additional wires for the brake controller and 12V charge line and maybe backup lights. If they're not there you will have to run adequate wires from the dash area back to the bumper. A Ford dealer should be able to confirm if your model was prewired for the extra lines.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
OK well I will pursue this information. and will come back later with my input. Thankyou.