Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2009, 08:13 AM   #1

2008 27' Safari FB SE
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blue Springs , Missouri
How to load my Harley onto bed of Pickup

I am new at this and don't know if I have the right forum for this. I am looking for suggestions on the safest and most cost effective way to load my Harley Street Glide touring bike on the eight foot bed of my F350 pickup. Are there any recommendations and/or suggestions?
SterShreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The trailer would have to be unhitched, I don't think any lifting device made could lift a Harley over the side of the bed, and lower it to the ground. The most cost-effective way would probably be a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood with a couple of 2x4s screwed to the bottom of it for additional support. Most motorcycle ramps will only hold 400-600 pounds, and many (most?) Harleys will go over that.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Worlds largest selection of motorcycle ramps
check these out.
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
waynesboro , Virginia
When I take my bike, before hitching the trailer up, I find a loading dock, at a local motorcycle shop or even at a local tractor dealer...load the bike.....then hook up....
waltero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
A couple of years ago I watched a demo of a bike lift at a motorcycle show. It operated by remote control and basically slide out of the back of the bed and down to the ground. Once you wheeled the bike on and secured it you just power retracted it back into the truck bed. I didn't have a bike then but I was impressed that it lifted a Harley so safely and that it was around a couple of thousand seemed reasonable compared with the cost of user error with ramps.

(I was curious so I googled for a link, here you go Motorized Motorcycle Power Lift Ramp for trucks trailers Rampage Lifts)
Old 07-09-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Check out the Spitzlift. It's a hand cranked crane that attaches to your truck bed. They are light and easy to use.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus View Post
A couple of years ago I watched a demo of a bike lift at a motorcycle show. It operated by remote control and basically slide out of the back of the bed and down to the ground. Once you wheeled the bike on and secured it you just power retracted it back into the truck bed. I didn't have a bike then but I was impressed that it lifted a Harley so safely and that it was around a couple of thousand seemed reasonable compared with the cost of user error with ramps.

(I was curious so I googled for a link, here you go Motorized Motorcycle Power Lift Ramp for trucks trailers Rampage Lifts)
Verry Nice
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #8

1968 22' Safari
fall city , Washington
I bought a set from discount ramps, three sections and will hold 1500# I think. They are wide so you can sit on your bike to load or unload with your feet on the ramps. I have a 2003 Road King, will post pic's of the ramps on my truck if you would like.
Barry
finnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yukon , Oklahoma
Greetings,

These photos are from an earlier post. (2008 F-250 long bed)

The bike in the photos is a Suzuki C50 - however, we most recently have used this setup with a Honda Goldwing. (2008 GL1800) and it works great. Unfortunately, I got wiped out in February - the Wing was destroyed and the ensuing health issues have prompted me to give up riding.

The ramp is made by USA Ramp (model A9) - USA Ramp - folding ramps for trucks, vans.

The ramp actually attaches to the hitch shank and works like a charm. I had to make one minor mod to the hitch (we had to grind off about 1/8" to 1/4" of the gusset for the sleeve to slide back far enough on the shank - it was so little that it does not violate the integrity of the shank). They are not "inexpensive", but they provide a wonderful solution to taking a bike as large as a "Wing" with you when you are pulling an Airstream. USA Ramp makes ramps in many different configurations. I spoke with them on the phone extensively before ordering and they were great to work with.

The ramp weight limit is 1200 lbs. Since we are no longer riding, I might be willing to make you a really good deal on the ramp and the attachments. I'm not sure I will ever have a use for it at this point. Check out the website - I absolutely loved this solution. The ramp is actually 43 inches wide - the website says 39, but he started making them at 43 when I bought mine. It is feet down so it is very safe and easy to ride the bike up into the truck.

The motorcycle stayed covered while in tow with a towable cover made by Geza Gear - it will not scratch the bike.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

ScottMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Find a ditch to back the unhitched truck down into where the tailgate will meet the ground on the opposite side of the ditch and then ride the scooter into the back of your p/u. Lash it down and then drive up out of the ditch.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
Hi , I faced the same issue with my 2004 Electra glide , The best I have found is to find a local dealer and use their ramp, I have tried the ditch and mound of dirt way to load/unload, while at Rossenmeyers Harley Shop in Daytona I saw a guy drop his Bike in the parking lot using a ramp, So I got the service guys to help me with mine, they brought out a ramp and helped me, it was really easy for my first time , it was a Black Widow Ramp, wide and easy !!!!! I gave the guys there a $40.00 tip and thats for a load up too , Everyone was happy ,
Old 07-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Freeport , Maine
make sure whatever ramps you buy (if that is the route you go) have enough curve to them. the super duty fords are so tall that there is a good chance with the straight ramps the bike will bottom out at the point where the ramps meet the tailgate.

i have as set of these ramps, and they work very well loading my bike.

SilverAvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
We had a guy in our Unit that put his in the back of his 1500 chevy van. When I load my 4 wheelers or when I had a Harley I used the old ditch at the end of my driveway, to load and found something like it at the campgrounds to unload... It always worked out.

As for the ramps, My buddy had one collapse and he broke his hip. ( I called him an old lady) (It seems they are the only ones breaking hips)
i still use my ramps, and his Hip (woman) healed
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #14
Itowair

2004 28' International CCD
Clinton Twp , Michigan
Three section ramp from Discount Ramps , lower tailgate place ramps and make sure you secure them so they can not kick out. Ride bike up center ramp , side ramps are just for you to be able to put your feet down. I have a Pringel wheel chock in the front of the bed. secure bike with ratching tie downs , front and rear , check every time you take a rest stop.

This setup works for my 2007 FLTR going into a 2004 F250 with 8 foot bed ,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Claudias Yellowstone 185.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	84019  
ITOWAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Use the ditch method

Crusty has it right! Ditches or small hill berms are everywhere. Drop the tailgate, back into the rising ground and use a sturdy ramp/board/plate to go from the ground to the bed. Ride it on and safely have way less chance of dumping it.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
This seems like the best and safest bet......
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMac View Post
Greetings,

These photos are from an earlier post. (2008 F-250 long bed)

The bike in the photos is a Suzuki C50 - however, we most recently have used this setup with a Honda Goldwing. (2008 GL1800) and it works great. Unfortunately, I got wiped out in February - the Wing was destroyed and the ensuing health issues have prompted me to give up riding.

The ramp is made by USA Ramp (model A9) - USA Ramp - folding ramps for trucks, vans.

The ramp actually attaches to the hitch shank and works like a charm. I had to make one minor mod to the hitch (we had to grind off about 1/8" to 1/4" of the gusset for the sleeve to slide back far enough on the shank - it was so little that it does not violate the integrity of the shank). They are not "inexpensive", but they provide a wonderful solution to taking a bike as large as a "Wing" with you when you are pulling an Airstream. USA Ramp makes ramps in many different configurations. I spoke with them on the phone extensively before ordering and they were great to work with.

The ramp weight limit is 1200 lbs. Since we are no longer riding, I might be willing to make you a really good deal on the ramp and the attachments. I'm not sure I will ever have a use for it at this point. Check out the website - I absolutely loved this solution. The ramp is actually 43 inches wide - the website says 39, but he started making them at 43 when I bought mine. It is feet down so it is very safe and easy to ride the bike up into the truck.

The motorcycle stayed covered while in tow with a towable cover made by Geza Gear - it will not scratch the bike.

Hope this helps.
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Bothell , Washington
if you haven't found a lift go to rampage lifts. they are about 2500.00. my riding buddy has one for his harly and i will be getting one for my road king. they are the best out there and a safer way then any ramp. good luck.

Outlaw
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote