Old 11-01-2008, 10:45 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Sounds Like a 3/4 ton will work just fine for you... Although the Tundra with the 5.7 litter will have all the power you need.... and will tow over 10000 lbs you would be hard pressed to find a used one....

If you want to haul bikes and stuff I would go for the Truck....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #58
1 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor , Michigan
Mind if I chime in here with a question sort of related to the original poster? My wife and I are looking at new Airstreams and have never towed before. We own a 2004 Avalanche (and many of you seem to tow with Suburbans - which is why I am posting here). We like the 23' CCD that tops out loaded at 6000#s with a 700# hitch weight. Technically, the manual says my truck will pull that trailer no problem (with your cautions about big hills noted - we plan to tow a lot out west). I am confused because my truck, basically a Suburban, is 2WD with the soft Premium Ride Suspension. The PRSusp has load leveling shocks that self adjust after about 2 miles of driving. 1st question: My manual says that heavy duty suspension is required for trailers over 5000#. Does that mean the 23 CCD is too much for my truck with the soft suspension? Is it mainly a safety issue, or one of durability. 2nd Question: The manual states that max tongue weight for the 1/2 ton is 600# load bearing, 1000# with a weight distributing hitch. This is confused by the fact that GM calls the receiver on my truck a WD hitch, but you guys all use that term for the Hensley on the trailer. The manual also says that if you are using a "weight distributing hitch" to pull a trailer, drive the truck for 2 miles to allow the load leveling shocks to adjust - and THEN attach the spring bars. That sounds like every time I hitch the trailer up I will be driving for 2 miles with 700#s on a 600#rated load bearing receiver before I can properly hitch the thing to the Hensley. Am I being too picky? Is anyone out there familiar enough with that suspension set-up to tell me if I should look at a lighter trailer? Thanks a lot for any input you might have. I've already learned a ton just by reading your posts on this site.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #59

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I assume that your Avalanche is a 1500 (half ton) model. That being said, your should be able to do a new 23 footer without any problems. You might want to consider adding a transmission fluid and oil cooler for this heavy duty towing.

The real weak spot in your tow vehicle is the factory GM receiver. it is a Class III that is somewhat overtaxed by a heavy trailer with a weight distributing hitch system. Many of these OEM GM receivers (mine included) have developed cracks in the welds under this strain. I have replaced both my Suburbans' factory receivers with Class IV aftermarket receivers. These are not real expensive (about $250 on line), and I installed both of mine myself. If you do this, make sure to order a connector mounting box ($6) as your wiring connector bracket is welded to the factory receiver.

As for the load leveling feature on your Avalanche, both of my Suburbans have Autoride, and I just hook up and go without any readjustment after several miles. I have towed our 25FB over 40,000 miles without any problems.

Don't skimp on a hitch system. The Equalizer, the Hensley, and the new ProPride are the best in my opinion.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Oyster Bed Bridge , Prince Edward Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
AMEN, that shows all those 3/4 toners how it's really done

I'm guessing you don't drive 75 mph with it?

But it looks cool....
i have driven that fast but i find pulling a trailer at that speed with any tow vehicle would be dangerous. I keep it at 60-65 or as we say in canada between 100 and 110 km per hour. Its hard to believe but it really is a super tow vehicle.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #61
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question What engine?

Any one know what size engine for wannaB ?

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:13 PM   #62
Certifiable

. , .
Most likely 5.3 liters V 8 front engine with 96 mm bore, 92 mm stroke, 9.5 compression ratio, overhead valve and two valves per cylinder LM7
Old 11-01-2008, 01:22 PM   #63
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Try-it

Try it, I think you'll like it.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 11-01-2008, 01:25 PM   #64
1 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor , Michigan
Thanks for the info, Moosetags. I will definitely change the receiver over to a Class IV. I have already had a trans cooler installed. Is the oil cooler yet another add-on? At one time I knew what the difference between Autoride and Premium Ride was, but I've forgotten. I don't think they are the same. I know that my truck does not have a real load-leveling air suspension, it's just those rear shocks that are self-adjusting and they take a little driving to do their thing. Robert Cross, it's the base truck - standard 5.3 engine, 3.73 rear axle. It does have Tow/Haul. Thanks, again, for your help.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:35 PM   #65
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Try-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaB View Post
Thanks for the info, Moosetags. I will definitely change the receiver over to a Class IV. I have already had a trans cooler installed. Is the oil cooler yet another add-on? At one time I knew what the difference between Autoride and Premium Ride was, but I've forgotten. I don't think they are the same. I know that my truck does not have a real load-leveling air suspension, it's just those rear shocks that are self-adjusting and they take a little driving to do their thing. Robert Cross, it's the base truck - standard 5.3 engine, 3.73 rear axle. It does have Tow/Haul. Thanks, again, for your help.

You are good-to-go for it, Enjoy

Keep us posted with Pic's.

Stream Safe.
Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 11-01-2008, 01:58 PM   #66
FFWilliston

2006 30' Classic
Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
Best Tow Vehicle

I used to tow with a pickup, but the mrs wanted something with better creature comfort in the back seat(s). We have found that our Nissan Armada does a great towing job (I have towed cross country two times with it), plus its passenger comfort is superb. Unless you absolutely need the bed of a pickup, and want interior space, consider the Armada (it looks good too). Test drive all candidates, of course. Good luck. Fred
Old 11-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBCCI9898 View Post
i have driven that fast but i find pulling a trailer at that speed with any tow vehicle would be dangerous. I keep it at 60-65 or as we say in canada between 100 and 110 km per hour. Its hard to believe but it really is a super tow vehicle.
Rich Luhr on his blog had also talked about towing a 34 with the Hemi 300 sedan. His comment was something about it feeling like driving a Lear Jet.
That Hemi in the sedan bodies must really put out.