Old 10-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Tow

WE use a 2000 Ford Excursion two wheel drive with the V10.It now has 49,000 miles about 40,000 +towing our 7400# Squarestream Airstream.
The V10 power is grate for the Mountins of the West.We now have a MPG of 9.5 for all are towing most uphill.
We love the Excursion but do not care for the leather seats,fabric would have been more comfortable.
A SUV gives lot off SECURE room inside.We have the 3rd row seats out most of the time with are extra 100 Gal fresh water tank and 100 gal Black tank for boondocking.
Just for your info we have the fresh water tank hooked to the same type pump that is in the trailer plugged into one of the power out lets in the Excursion and hook the hose to are city water fitting so when you turn the water on in the trailer the pump runs and when the water is turned off the pump stops.
The black tank is done from this website http://fulltime.hitchitch.com/AZ2005blueboy.html

jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #16
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
sure it only gets 9.5/10 MPG towing our AS...but we don't have to hassle with all the 'Diesel' issues, etc...it tows our 28ft AS like a dream, and is steady as a rock...it's really hard to beat the prices on these Excursions...unless you just have to have a new big buck rig...
Welcome...here come the ants!
Brian (moosetags) pretty much summed it up. With a 25 you are on the hairy edge for a 1/2 ton anything.

Mexray, what are the "diesel issues" you speak of (more power, better fuel mileage, longevity? I am curious...).

Educate us , Please...

Bill

Old 10-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I don't think he meant those kind of issues BILL TEX . Diesels are not to be taken lightly. They ,if not taken care of properly can be very expensive to repair. Waterpump for a 7.3 Harvester(FORD V8) $150 for the pump Im just guessing $350 labor. Turbo Charger $1200 to $1500 plus labor. These go bad cause people don't and are not told how to properly cool out a deisel engine. U just cant pull in and shut them off. Fuel filters and Fuel Seperators and knowing where to and where not to buy fuel.
Its issues like that I think he was refering too. Desiels are not for most.
I speak from 45 yrs experience of Owning and Driving Big trucks.
I'm wiff U on the longevity and fuel mileage . I hope mine will last 500k miles and it is possible. Im at 80k just broke in,LOL
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
With a 25 you are on the hairy edge for a 1/2 ton anything.
Billtex, I beg to differ....our '01 25' weighs 6000 pounds +.-, and our 1/2 ton GMC pickup is factory rated to tow 7800 pounds.

In my opinion, and GMC's opinion, that is not "on the hairy edge".
Old 10-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
I don't think he meant those kind of issues BILL TEX . Diesels are not to be taken lightly. They ,if not taken care of properly can be very expensive to repair. Waterpump for a 7.3 Harvester(FORD V8) $150 for the pump Im just guessing $350 labor. Turbo Charger $1200 to $1500 plus labor. These go bad cause people don't and are not told how to properly cool out a deisel engine. U just cant pull in and shut them off. Fuel filters and Fuel Seperators and knowing where to and where not to buy fuel.
Its issues like that I think he was refering too. Desiels are not for most.
I speak from 45 yrs experience of Owning and Driving Big trucks.
I'm wiff U on the longevity and fuel mileage . I hope mine will last 500k miles and it is possible. Im at 80k just broke in,LOL
Only 80K on a 7.3? I don't think it's even broke in yet...Diesels do cost more to repair than gassers, but they last a lot longer and get much better fuel mileage. I think the biggest mistake people make is shutting them down to quick after a long haul, very bad for the turbo.. I let my truck idle at least 10 minutes after towing and I put on a bigger downpipe and a 4 inch stainless exhaust, no cat converter, lots more power, the Exhaust gas temps have dropped about 300 degrees with the new exhaust and the mileage went up about 1 mpg.. Have 256K on my 7.3 and it runs like new..I'll take a diesel any day over a gasser.. Just MHO..

2008 F-350 Diesel
WBCCI # 4106

Steve & Jan
99Limited34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
What you like first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermyers View Post
I want to identify/find the best tow vehicle for the trailer I am interested. What are the critical pieces of information I should be looking for? I would like to tow a 2004-2006 25 foot Safari or International. I just beginning my search. Thanks.
Hi, first you need to decide what brand vehicle you like; I like Ford products, so I bought a Lincoln Navigator. Why? Well we bought a 2000 Lincoln in the year 2003. It was 3 years old and had less than 17,000 miles on it and the price was right. [it now only has 50,000 miles] Next it has a tow rating of 8,900 lbs. and my 25' Safari that we going to buy shortly after, had a GVWR of 6,300 lbs. Well within the safety margin. Compared to it's cousin the Expedition, the Lincoln has a more powerful engine, bigger transmission, Bigger differential, and a few nice touches that make it a Lincoln. It looks good, drives good, tows a 25'er quite well, and averages 11.5 MPG while towing. I also use an Equal-i-zer brand hitch and a Tekonsha P-3 brake controller.

My opinion is: If you plan on towing a heavier, longer trailer, [late model over 25'] then I would recommend that you go for a 3/4 ton vehicle and a Hensley Arrow type hitch. I personally don't care for diesels, but if you go larger and heavier, it might be the way to go.

Basically, you need to find a combination that you can afford, feel comfortable with, and feel safe while towing. Do a lot of research first. It could save you a lot of money and headaches. GOOD LUCK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 124 (Large).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	70405   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 118 (Large).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	70407  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #21
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Billtex, I beg to differ....our '01 25' weighs 6000 pounds +.-, and our 1/2 ton GMC pickup is factory rated to tow 7800 pounds.

And Ford says their F150 can tow up to 10,000 pounds, so GMC is not alone in their 1/2 ton estimations.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
And Ford says their F150 can tow up to 10,000 pounds, so GMC is not alone in their 1/2 ton estimations.
Yes, and as I remember, the Toyota 1/2 ton is rated at 10,000 also. So my question to Billtex is again, how would a 25' be "on the hairy edge"?
Old 10-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #23
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post

The 85% rule would barely leave room for You-Your Spouse-lunch (never mind gas, firewood, bikes. etc. etc.)

The OP asked for "the best TV" fo a 25'...best is somewhat subjective of course. One of my top criteria for best would be saftey, followed by comfort level towing a heavy load.
The new 25' Safari are much lighter than Classics/Excellas and could get by with a 1/2 ton if not straying far from home.The Internationla is much heavier IIRC.
Perhaps some of you might review my old post; http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ice-28886.html
We all need to learn by our own experience. That post details mine.
Until you have been there, you just don't know how limited a 1/2 ton vehicle is.When you get over 6000# or so, it is time to step up.
I am not aware of anyone that regrets moving up to a 3/4 ton.

Good luck, and safe travels,
Bill
Old 10-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Bill,

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I've pulled simular weight trailers over most of these United States, parts of Canada, and most of Alaska with a 1/2 ton. And, in years past, (been towing travel trailers of one sort or another since 1971) it was with a truck with the old 350 engines having 200 or so horse power. The new GM 5.3 liter engine has 315 HP. Never have had a problem.

Would a 3/4 ton Diesel have been better?? Yes, but they also cost a lot more money. By the time you upgrade to a 3/4 ton and add the Diesel engine, you have added about $10,000 to the price of a new truck. Heck, a Kenworth would have been the dog's dangleys, but where do you draw the line?

I take the manufacturer's engineers at their word, and have never had a problem. By the way, the GM ratings are the most conservative of the bunch.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' International CCD
Freehold , New Jersey
Hey Everyone:

I tow a 2006 25Int. CCD with my Nissan Titan (rated to tow 9300lbs). My trailer loaded is under 7000 lbs. Towed 1500 miles this summer and everything was great. I LOVE the truck (however, worst milage of any 1/2 ton). Smooth, lots of power, pulled the trailer great.

BUT -- if I had to do it all over again I would opt for a 3/4 ton ONLY because me, the wife, my daughter, bikes, Coleman grill, inflatable kayak, cooler andd a few other odds and ends pushes my cargo capacity to the top or just over. Now I didn't notice any problems (rear end wasn't low-no handling issues etc) but if I like the 80% rule with towing weight it would seem to reason that I would like it for the cargo weights (but I didn't do my homework).

Go for the 3/4.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:23 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Here's the deal.

Hi, here's the deal; A half ton will, in most cases, handle a 25'er just fine. But after reading all 25 posts, the rules may have changed. It seems to me that for those of you that just can't leave home without takeing it with you [your home] obviously need a larger truck. In city talk, it's called taking everything includeing the kitchen sink; And in country talk, it's called bringing the whole farm. That was one of my considerations on my set-up, if it won't fit in my trailer's storage areas or in the back of my Lincoln, where I removed the third row seat, then it doesn't go and I don't need it. Isn't camping or traveling about going places without all the clutter and junk that we all have at our homes?

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:09 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Robert:

I agree with you about bringing the farm. My wife and I always reinforce to each other that we are camping. Everything we bring is mostly essentials. All of our kitchen dishes are plastic. We wash the plastic and keep it (green friendly). We do not throw them away. The only thing I bring that I do not need is The ez-up tent, fold up chairs, telescope, TV. I feel after changing out the old water heater, water pump, and converter we dropped some wait.

The only time I feel worried about weight is when I bring my horticulture tools to work on our property.

Lothlorian
Old 10-29-2008, 07:17 AM   #28
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Many of us like to get away for the activities we pursue; kayaking, fishing, mt biking, etc. This requires us to bring along a certain amount of gear. It is not unusual for us to take 2 kayaks, 3 mt bikes, a porta-bote, and 8 hp motor along for a weeks outing Add to this 50 gals fresh water (400#), 40# propane and it gets heavy real fast. (We usually camp in the wilderness, without hookups so need the water and propane.) Some Folks go sit in a trailer park with full hookups and drink cocktails all weekend (only “gear” required is a blender and ice). That is not us. If the PO is traveling lightly, staying close to home, and towing a Safari (much lighter than other models) he (she) would probably be fine. But why play it so close if you are shopping for a new TV? The problem with ½ tons (as just mentioned by DrPlay) is payload, not tow capacity. Yes you may be able to tow 10,000# with a ½ ton (yikes!) but you would not have the payload to support the tongue weight, never mind passenger weights, fuel, and anything in the bed (cabin).
Have Folks done it? Oh, yes…
Is this the “best choice” for a 25’ as inquired by the PO? No way…
As another member here likes to respond to these questions “inappropriate tow vehicles are the leading cause of very expensive yard art.”
A white knuckle towing experience, will keep you close to home…

Bill