Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
How To Get Better MPG's

I have a 1999 Chevy Suburban with a 454 engine. The truck is great. I really don't want to buy another truck but the gas milage is killing me. I would like to explore ways of improved MPG's. The first thing I think of is a full flow exhaust like a Banks system. Any suggestions or opinions? Anybody using a Banks, or similar, system?
Tom
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:38 PM   #2
_

. , .
there are many threads on fuel economy and improving mpg....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ads-18186.html

here is one, but a quick search found 15 in the towing, tow vehicle section...

there are also several threads on the banks systems

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Thanks. I figured it has been discussed to death and did a search. I couldn't find much. Maybe I am not searching correctly. I will try searching again.
Tom
Old 10-31-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
_

. , .
this is a start for ya...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/sear...earchid=864645

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavergne
I have a 1999 Chevy Suburban with a 454 engine. The truck is great. I really don't want to buy another truck but the gas milage is killing me. I would like to explore ways of improved MPG's. The first thing I think of is a full flow exhaust like a Banks system. Any suggestions or opinions? Anybody using a Banks, or similar, system?
Tom
Hi Tom, Take a look here. With a 454 it just boils down to good driving habits... The things you have mentioned will help a little. But, is it worth it in the long run? I really like the power out of my 454. So, I'll live with the fuel cost. My 73 Ford 4x4 gets better fuel mileage than the burb.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:12 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Thanks for the links. When it is time for new tires, new exhaust, etc. is when I will probably make a few changes. From what I have read it doesn't pay to spend to much $ on modifications...just use good common sense driving techniques. So for now I just need to continue to watch my foot on the gas pedal and watch my tire pressure.
Tom
Old 11-01-2007, 09:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavergne
Tom
Towing a travel trailer, while using a persons usual "driving habits," alters fuel mileage to a high degree.

What is needed, is "on the road" towing lessons.

We can talk, we can guess, we can assume, we can ask, but the bottom line is no one knows a persons driving habits, except them, and sometimes, that could be a challenge too.

There are many factors that are involved when towing a travel trailer, especially an Airstream or Argosy.

I have towed a loaded 31 foot Airstream, in excess of 110 mph, that was documented on film. The faster you tow an Airstream, the better it handles, "IF" your rigged properly.

When we travel on the open highways, we have no idea what forces are working against us.

One of the biggest forces that alter fuel mileage, is the wind. A wind is of little to no concern to people that tow trailers, but it's a huge concern to pilots. So lets try an instrument that every pilot relies on.

Back in 1970 t0 1973, when I travel the country towing a 31 foot Airstream as my home, I installed an aircraft "airspeed" indicator in my car, and a altimeter.

I could at a very quick glance, tell you if I was towing into a head wind or had a tail wind, by comparing the speedometer reading to the airspeed reading.

As an example, if I was towing into a 20 mph head wind at 60 mph ground speed, then the airspeed indicator would say 80 mph, telling me that I need to slow down.

Reversing that, if the ground speed was again 60 mph and I had a tail wind, then the airspeed indicator would only say 40 mph.

Comparing the speedometer reading to the airspeed reading, quickly told me that I could tow a little faster, since I had a tail wind, or to slow down since I had a head wind.

Amazingly, I immediately increased my overall fuel economy by about 20 to 25 percent, simply using the airspeed/speedometer readings as a guide.

Installing an airspeed indicator is really very simple. Mount the gauge where ever you wish so that you can easily see it, and then connect a 1/4 copper or steel line to it and run the line so that it sticks out about 3/4 to 1 inch forward of the grill on your tow vehicle. You can also, for a little more money, have a lighted gauge for night towing.

Perhaps some owners could appreciably increase their fuel economy, by using the two gauges that will change your towing habits, very quickly.

Airspeed indicators can be purchased at Aircraft Spruce for a little over $100.00.

At todays fuel prices, it wouldn't take long to recoup your investment.

And while your at it, installing a "altimeter" in your tow vehicle also helps teach you "new driving" habits. They cost a little over $100.00 as well.

As altitude increases, the efficiency of gasoline engines decreases, unless it's super charged. That also lowers fuel mileage. But the most important part of using an altimeter, is to tell you if your climbing or not.

We can be on open highways for an extended period of time, and have no idea if we are climbing slightly or not. If your climbing, the fuel economy goes down therefore once again, slow down, until that climbing has ended.

By using your speedometer, an altimeter and a airspeed indicator, I promise you they will teach you new towing habits, very quickly.

Believe the gauges, tow accordingly, and you will become in short order, an even happier camper.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:36 AM   #8
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
and um...how do you get an alitmeter setting before departure...from a campground?

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:51 AM   #9
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
check your sectional!! set it to current barometric pressure and read your altitude, many places have a good idea about how high they are...
So I got a few spare altimeters around the hangar and a few air speed indicators to boot, heck I'll even put in my "G" meter and a VSI.
Thats what I've been missing- now I'll feel right at home.
Seriously-- thanks for the good info Andy. ASI going in ASAP.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If you are running a carbuerated 454 you could add a vacuum gauge. You practice working the gas pedal in a way that keeps the manifold vacuum as high as possible. It's pretty much a visual aid for the old "egg on the accelerator pedal" idea.

I think Andy's idea for windspeed and altimeter are really neat. I love gauges.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
If you are running a carbuerated 454 you could add a vacuum gauge. You practice working the gas pedal in a way that keeps the manifold vacuum as high as possible. It's pretty much a visual aid for the old "egg on the accelerator pedal" idea.

I think Andy's idea for windspeed and altimeter are really neat. I love gauges.
There are two things in life that you believe in and listen to, or else.....

Gauges and Mama.

Andy
Old 11-01-2007, 10:17 AM   #12
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
check your sectional!! set it to current barometric pressure ....
well, duh, that IS the altimeter setting...and its what I don't have.
Since when do sectionals give you the current barometric pressure?

I know, I know...just find the nearest airport on the chart, and set it that way...very "rough", though.

Either that, or Andy only camps at airports.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
There are two things in life that you believe in and listen to, or else.....

Gauges and Mama.

Andy
. . . and if they disagree, you'd better side with Mama.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #14
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

Back in 1970 t0 1973, when I travel the country towing a 31 foot Airstream as my home, I installed an aircraft "airspeed" indicator in my car, and a altimeter.

Andy
Dang it! About a year ago I was thinking about doing just that (airspeed indicator) but talked myself out of it. Now I want to do it again.....

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:49 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
Tom - I have a '94 sub 2500 with the TBI 454. In addition to Andy's wind speed/alt suggestions (which are pretty well thought out) there are several things you can do. I am actually in the process of doing several of these right now and the mileage change as a % is improving. I do realize that my motor is a TBI and yours in a Vortec - but this is what I've done. I replaced the intake manifold with a part from a Canadian hot rod shop and this gives me 2 insulated cold air tubes about 5 inces in diameter coming in. I'm getting ready to install a digital version of an MSD 6AL box from Summitt, new coil, new O2 sensor, fresh plugs and fresh wires. Finally, I'm going to get a true free flowing exhaust from the cat back on. My starting mileage was avg 11.5 MPG - interestingly it is not much effected when towing a racecar on an open trailer at 70MPH. With the intake alone I'm looking at about 13.7 MPG. Also - I forgot to mention I use a K&N and don't laugh but I use a Tornado. I swear it makes a difference. With these motors there is no holy grail solution, but there are a series of small adjustments and mods that will accrue 3-5 MPG. That said, it is a 7.4L motor with 385 lbs/torque - the story will only get so good without forced induction and custom ECU mapping.
nunya001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:52 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck

I know, I know...just find the nearest airport on the chart, and set it that way...very "rough", though.

I only camp at HHV.

It's elevation is only 12 feet, more or less.

Andy
Old 11-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
We have a .060 over 455 engine in the Pontiac and when I was towing we got noticeably better mileage than we do now that Donna is towing . We have very different driving styles and even with "all my coaching" it would appear that the fuel mileage is going to be less for the foreseeable future.

A couple of things I'd done to improve mileage:
  • Slowed down. By sticking to 55 instead of 65 my mileage was noticeably better
  • The Holley 650 is a good carb but on a very strong suggestion by one of my car club peers I swapped to a 600 Edelbrock. That $250 investment (a group purchase by the car club of 8 of them got us a super deal) added close to 2 mpg, it idled nicer, and cold starts are easier. It also comes out much cleaner when it has it's annual emissions test
  • I'm hoping to move to an aftermarket FI system - a car club friend put Holley's Pro-jection system on his hotrod and he gets 4 mpg more than he was getting before that.
  • I have 2 1/2" exhaust, no headers
  • On my '72 Corvette with 454/auto I swapped out a new Quadrajet for a 780 Holley and although it ran cleaner emissions wise, fuel consumption went up noticeably. I swapped back to the Quadrajet. The fellow who bought the car from me wanted the Holley really badly so we did the swap and now he's back asking to buy the Quad.
But the biggest improvement is in driving habits and keeping the speed down.

Now, if I can just get the love of my life to drive "exactly like I do" we'll have much quieter trips, and the fuel mileage will go back up. Oh sure, I may be bruised and tied and the mouth taped up, but we'll be saving gas .

Barry
Old 11-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

Sectionals don't give barometric pressure, but they do give airport elevations.

Altimeters have a knob that you turn to adjust to the local barometric pressure, or, the airport elevation. If you adjust to the airport elevation, that automatically gives you the barometric pressure in the little window that's a part of all altimeters.

In flight, you adjust the altimeter barometric pressure as reported by the local Omni station, which corrects your altitude as you travel. That keeps you at the correct altitude when your flying an aircraft.

Andy
Old 11-01-2007, 12:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
and um...how do you get an alitmeter setting before departure...from a campground?

My GPS give me altitude...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Have you looked into aftermarket programmers/displays? I've seen several that display instantious , instantouins , heck, REAL TIME MPG. That's one way of telling you to get your foot off the floor. My Jag has the feature and it really points out where I was killing my mpg
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote