Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #41
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV
Pat,
Have you done manual MPG calc's and compaired to the computer? A friend of a fried was bragging on his new computer, he said he jumped from 18 mpg to 25 hwy. yea, right...in a 3/4 ton at 75 mph?
We average 21/22 mpg (unloaded-ski trips up to NH. Probably a couple o' hundred pounds of "stuff" in the truck) hwy.
13/14 mpg towing.

I do not think it is unreasonable to get in the 20's with a diesel...

As far as the radical increase of your friends friend...well I don't know...

Bill
06 DuraMax
Old 11-02-2007, 02:06 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
...I do not think it is unreasonable to get in the 20's with a diesel...

Bill
06 DuraMax
I'm with ya'
My computer show 23.4 right now but a fill up usually confirms it's 1 to 1.5 mpg high. I can run with the cruise off and usually coax the display to show over 24 average - but it's lying. One thing I did notice, the temps dropped over the last week and the MPG went up about 1 mpg. Too bad it doesn't offset the jump in diesel
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:20 PM   #43
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
When I towed 8000 lbs from OH to AZ and back, with a 06 DMax, my MPG ranged anywhere from 10 and 16.5 hand calculated. My DIC (computer mpg readout) always reads a little low. It is very obvious that grade, wind, and road conditions are some of the major variables in mpg performance. I can see my DIC readout change in real time whenever any of these variables starts changing. I even see my mileage increase after transitioning from a noisy concrete stretch of interstate onto a velvety smooth asphalt surface.

Since I have learned to trust my DIC, I use it to optimize my mpg by looking at the results instead of the inputs. I know my best MPG is somewhere around 60, so I reset my DIC and move up and/or down from 60 (using cruse control +/-) to pinpoint my best MPG performance. If road conditions (vibration), elevation (GPS), or wind (trees and grass) change, I reset the DIC, and hunt out the optimal point using the cruse control again. I normally don't have anankastic personality disorder, so I only do this when I get bored.

But, I must admit, a couple new gauges in the old truck would be very cool.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 11-04-2007, 10:35 AM   #44
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Silver,

When I bought the rig in NM last summer and was bringing it back to VA, I noted that I was getting about 11mpg (I was used to 13 with the 25'Safari) and was thinking that that was just the price of a much heavier rig. By the way, these were calculated numbers, not those on the trip computer - I find those to be generous.

Anyway, I had a minor breakdown in AR and while I was there the foreman offered me a free trial of the Bully Dog. I took it, and carefully monitored engine and tranny temps, oil pressure and the like, just to be sure everything was ok. It was. And, I was looking for fuel much further down the road than before. I think it was calculating to about 13. But we were travelling relatively light - no camping gear and just enough water to flush, etc.

This last trip west to the balloon fest and beyond, we travelled about 7k miles and the mileage overall was 12.5. Full camping gear, full fresh most times, clothes, groceries (as we were dry camping a lot).

And you can feel the extra power.

So - in my humble etc - I think it is more than smoke and mirrors.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote